67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Re: 67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”

Post by Spit Nolan »

Not seen that one! Mental! I like that they actually named it marmitte as they knew it would be!
‘67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”
‘68 VW Bay Westy Campmobile - very original family camper.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Ralph wrote:The Monza 4-tip really suits it.
Or an SS Rallye Style :wink:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Oh bloomin ‘eck!!! Does it really look that bad? :lol:
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

:lol: :lol:

Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

Are you lowering it?

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

I will be yes, but not a lot. The front has already gone down as far as it could without more intensive work.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Anyone welcome to come and help :lol: :wink:
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”

Post by Spit Nolan »

Picked up a 2nd set of wheels yesterday, set of OG minilites, will be putting some stickier and wider rubber on these just for those times I feel like it, will still be running the Torq’s most of the time. :)

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Managed to fix the play in my steering column, hadn’t realised the top bearing was completely missing it’s inner race, so got it out and installed a new upper bearing.

Along with the spring and spacer onto the back of the hub

All back in and tightened up and it’s perfect, no play at all now.

Have also managed to source all the bits to do a turbo tie rod conversion, I found a set of turbo rods in the car, so bought some Rover tie rod ends, turbo gaiters + washers so all in am still £38 to be able to do the conversion :D

I also managed to install drivers seat belt, then got the car back up in the air ready to finish the few jobs underneath. Including the tie rod conversion and a height adjustment.

Had 10 minutes today so quickly fitted the front tie downs, which take it that little bit closer to how I see the car in my head :)

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Been working through the list of jobs slowly.
First you was to do the turbo tie rod conversion, stock length turbo rods with Rover 200 ends.

Matched up to the length of the original arms for rough tracking.

Rover 200 end at the top and Porsche at the bottom to show the extra length needed for the threads to be on enough on a SWB car.

Also fitted up the Elephant Racing anti bump steer kit.

Then moved onto getting the broken bleed nipple out of the front caliper…. Much better with fresh new one in.

I then got the passenger side rear suspension apart to change the bushes and lower it down.

Old bushes were well past their best.

New power flex bushes in and splines rotated until achieved exactly 7.5 degrees drop from where it was.

I have new end caps for the springplates from Buttys Bits ready which I’ll put in once the car has been fully set up.

I then drained all the horrible old fuel out of the tank and sorted the filter into the tank, it has been blocked up and nothing coming out of the tank so was well over due!

Been trying to work out which way to go with the rear bumper bits, stick with chrome or go white. I have both so may swap and change :D
I’m leaning towards the white though.

Checked the ride height front and rear

Very short list left now to get it drivable..

First bolt these on after greasing (fully rebuilt CV joints)

Then I have been having issues with bleeding brakes as the beetle fittings I tried in the top of the master cylinder are leaking so getting some 8mm metal ones made up by Buttys Bits to cure that issue so can finally bleed the brakes.

Oil change in gearbox

Drain engine oil and replace gaskets and filter and fresh oil.

Then it can be driven out of the garage :)

Lots of other jobs to do but it will be on the road at least.
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

The 'to do list' is getting shorter and shorter - you'll soon be spinning round in it.

Having seen the car in the flesh would say that it's got just the right amount of genuine patina - that well used look, and you're doing a nice job of maintaining the theme.

Ralph.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Ralph wrote:The 'to do list' is getting shorter and shorter - you'll soon be spinning round in it.

Having seen the car in the flesh would say that it's got just the right amount of genuine patina - that well used look, and you're doing a nice job of maintaining the theme.

Ralph.
Cheers Ralph! Good to meet you at the weekend too! Fingers crossed it all works for now I actually get to that point, gearbox and engine are pretty much unknown. Yes it’s ran and yes the gearbox seemed to move but who knows until it’s actually driving :)

Changed the gearbox oil to fresh last night

And bolted in the freshly greased axles / CV’s

Next job is drain the engine oil and give it a proper service.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

I moved onto a full engine service, oil drained, sump filter cleaned, canister filter changed, new gaskets including rocker cover gaskets. New plugs and rotor arm.

Got the carb off that was leaking petrol and replaced the damaged seal.

Set points and static timed it at 5°

Fired up the engine and once warm balanced the carbs and set them up as best as possible.
Checked timing with a light and it’s roughly 30° at 3000rpm but I don’t know for sure as not a degree’d pulley.

Next up was the brakes, eventually figured out I had a problem with the rubbers in the top of my brand new master cylinder, so replaced those and used a pair of new tubes made up by Buttys Bits into those with new blue hose up to a BMW 2002 reservoir mounted in the smugglers.

Started bleeding the brakes only to get to the last one, drivers front and ‘snap!’ There goes the bleed nipple! Yep that means both fronts had snapped now, passenger side already repaired.

So drilled and easy out and new one in place the next day and could finally bleed the brakes…. And no leaks from the master cylinder!!! Result!!

The meant I could get the under tray back on below steering rack etc. do another bolt check and then finally finally get it down off the axle stands!! :D

Adjusted the front suspension height a bit and then set the tracking.

Climbed in and turned the key! Into reverse and went for it…… it bloody worked, it drove out of the garage under its own power for the first time in who only knows how many years!!

Few photos later…

Then the next day I torqued then rear hub nuts and put split pins in, emptied some of the crap out so I could bolt on the passenger seat. Then got to giving a very short test drive… off the drive, round the crescent and onto the road, back into the crescent and onto the drive. All of an 1/8th mile maybe haha! But it was a success.

Queue more photos…

So after few more adjustments I went out properly and did a 5 mile loop, to say I was happy was an understatement, felt incredible! Bit of a flat spot it it was running and driving… few more adjustments and did the loop again and went a little bit higher in rpm to 4K. Clearly more adjustments to be made and the front suspension is pretty much none existent… I believe I need to cut down the spring assisters in the shocks or change them out completely.

Sorted few bits of wiring out and was ready to take out to its first event… our own show, the RSVP BBQ, held exactly 1 mile from my house :)
Last edited by Spit Nolan on Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.