67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Re: 67 912 my own take

Post by Spit Nolan »

Not yet mate. I’m moving house so put off buying them for now.
‘67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”
‘68 VW Bay Westy Campmobile - very original family camper.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Well unfortunately it looks like I am not going to get to keep this car, thanks to thieving scum stealing another car from me and the insurance wriggling out of it because of where it was parked. I am goi g to try and get it finished so it’s running and driving on the road as I am assuming it’s going to make a big difference to value. I have everything for it now so hopefully can get it done quick. I am truly gutted.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

So very sorry to read this conclusion.

Doubt you will have trouble selling the Porsche, but a very disappointing outcome all the same.

I and all other DDK people will wish you the very best.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Spit Nolan wrote:Well unfortunately it looks like I am not going to get to keep this car, thanks to thieving scum stealing another car from me and the insurance wriggling out of it because of where it was parked. I am goi g to try and get it finished so it’s running and driving on the road as I am assuming it’s going to make a big difference to value. I have everything for it now so hopefully can get it done quick. I am truly gutted.
I would speak to the RAC Legal Team or something similar, just because your car was parked somewhere else does necessarily negate them paying out for it, unless it was unlocked with the keys in it.
Think of it in the same way that if you say drove your car to a destination and parked it overnight or for the day - does that mean your car insurance is invalid?

They often try anything they can to prevent payouts, a lot of them are not legal at all! Have you also tried the Insurance Ombudsman and put a complaint into them - its a free service and their decisions are biding in law
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

Been following this build, love it, sorry for your situation. I would also challenge insurance, contact citizens advice, they are a good feeler and normally impartial. Hope you keep it but sure itwill not hang around long.
Raymond
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Thanks guys, an appeal is going in, but I don’t hold out much hope. I will be out of cars for a while once this has gone, this has broken me. Worse but is I found who stole the car, even got witnesses, but the police won’t do anything because they can’t make out their faces on the footage from the security cameras. So I know who and where the little dicks live. But if I go anywhere near them I’d be the criminal not them.
I’m going to have to get the 912 finished so can at least have one drive in it before it goes up for sale.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Well I’m keeping everything crossed that something happens that means I can keep the twelve, even if only for a short time.

In the mean time I have moved it up to the garage at my house.

And now finally have a rear window to put in, I had a heated one but this car shouldn’t have heated, so I didn’t want to fit it as looks too modern.

Also found a few old photos on 912vin.com from when the car was for sale just outside junction city Oregon in 2009. Steering wheel was erm.... lovely!!

Interestingly it had no gauges in when I got it and the speedo I found for it is literally a couple of thousand higher on the mileage, so it’s like it actually came from this car! :D

I posted up the photo from 2009 on Facebook and the person who actually took it spotted it and contacted me with some information. Firstly he actually still had the advert for the car from the local newspaper at the time...

He went to see it but it had just sold to another guy in junction city. Apparently it the. Had a dropped valve on the original engine and was parked up. Presumably that is when it was sold on to the U.K. and engine and gearbox removed.

He is trying to get hold of the previous owners for me, as still has their info, so fingers crossed may get some old photos or some history.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”

Post by neilbardsley »

Just read about your other car being stolen. That is crap.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

It certainly was crap! :(

As a turn of events though I have managed to sort things out and at the moment I get to keep the 912, however it probably won’t be for long as the Mrs wants us to have another camper, whilst our daughter is young. So I will get the twelve finished and enjoy it for a bit then may have to go so I can get another bus. At the moment I haven’t touched the car in about a month. I did get it out and got the clutch up and working but other than that it’s been used as storage in the garage only.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Little bit of progress recently, aiming as best as I can to do a little bit every night and have it back on the road in a month ish.

First thing was pop a back window in, although not happy with the seal so will probably come back out and replace the seal before putting trim back in.
Swapped last pop out over to the green glass so just drivers door glass to finish.

Started sorting some more electrical bits out too. Car got wet by accident for first time since I have owned it as well.

Also finally got new wheels sorted, had the CN36 tyres for ages, but grabbed my set of Group 4’s from a friends this week. Cerakote at the ready too.

I did open one box for a look but don’t want to touch them yet as need them to be spotless for the cerakote.

Slowly edging closer.
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

Is Cerakote something you can apply yourself?
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Ralph wrote:Is Cerakote something you can apply yourself?
I believe so, but a friend is doing mine for me, as I don’t have anything at home.
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Carrying on with small steps…

Got some power through the car finally

Been going through bits of the wiring, most of the lights working (only most haha!) Wipers now working, engine cranks over. Not got fuel lines on yet so not ready to fire.

Realised I’m missing couple of relays when going through the lights (hence the only most comment), need to find this pair…

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Managed to get the relays, now have nearly all lights working, wipers working. Starter turning! Just screen washer pump and number plate lights to get working for all the electrics to be sorted.

Started on the brakes too, as I was missing a few bits I decided a dual circuit conversion was needed. Image

I’m hoping I don’t run into any issues, but so far so good. Need to get hold of an M10 die to thread the pushrod further so it can be cut down to suit.

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

That’s the plumbing side of the dual circuit conversion done, just gotta modify the pushrod now and fit that up. Also brake light wired up.

Used a 67 only beetle reservoir as sat really well with the outlets pointing in the right direction.

Going to change, discs, pads and flexi’s on all 4 corners and go through calipers before can put fluid in though.

Also yesterday it was time to open the boxes I’ve had sat on the roof of the car for several weeks…

I went with Group 4 Wheels TT 15 x 5” all round in raw finish.

I had to hold back opening the boxes as didn’t want to touch them and get something g on them which would affect the next step…

I knew from the beginning I wanted them to look more like original mags, (not trying to fool anyone, they never will be originals but I just knew the look I wanted, plus I sold my original ali ones to get these).

I saw a friend had coated his with Cerakote, and soon realised it was the way I wanted to go. So a huge thanks to Charles for coating them for me.
Went with a custom mix and went with solid colour all over, I didn’t want the polished rim look.

Will get the 165x15 Pirelli CN36’s on later this week hopefully.

Been through all the electrics on the car too, all lights now working, wipers etc.

My list to get it on the road is getting quite short :)