67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Re: 67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”

Post by Spit Nolan »

Decided I was going to take the car to the camping the night before, so ran my Bay window bus over first then lift back and hopped into Scruffy B*stard and set off, 7 miles to the destination…. Started running really unhappy on route but got there!!

Bit of investigation and found what was going on… fuel filter was blocked!!! So despite doing my best to clean out the fuel tank it seems putting fuel in it and driving along bouncing has free’d everything inside it off to come through and clog it up. Back into the Bay and home to grab another filter, swapped over and enjoyed a night with friends before putting the night heater on in the bus as my god it was cold haha! Ran the bus over to the show then went back for the b*stard, slow drive over to the show and left it parked up and enjoyed the day.

Some pics…

Slow drive for the 1 mile back home and next fuel filter already pretty blocked, so it’s now back in the garage and I have got to get fuel tank out and either clean out or replace. As well as finish other jobs like swapping the last piece of clear glass in the drivers door to green and building up the doors properly, figure out the suspension and get it all properly aligned for passenger seat belts and so on….
‘67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”
‘68 VW Bay Westy Campmobile - very original family camper.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Great to see pics of the car out and about . Well worth all that hard work 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Thank you, I’m really happy to finally drive it after 3 years, wrong time of year but least I can now work on getting the issues that have identified themselves sorted, so will be ready to enjoy properly.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Well done!

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Thank you! :)

As it hasn’t been running properly I have given in and ordered up a new petrol tank, this has now arrived so next job is to change that out so I can have a proper fuel supply that doesn’t look like red diesel haha!

Also added on a DDK grill badge that is suitably worn :)

Also why the front is up I’m going to get the front shocks out and sort the bump stops, as at this height, it is just sat on them!

Not happy with the seatbelts in the car either as they just don’t mount in the right places. It’s had a later conversion with the B pillar modified for mounts etc but still using the original early mounting point at the bottom and for the receiver.

Has anyone mounted 3 point harnesses using the original upper mount below the side windows? or is it just too close and wrong angle. I’ve got to fit rear seatbelts too so want to figure something out that works, is comfortable and doesn’t get in the way too much.
paul lomas
DDK Fanatic

Post by paul lomas »

Nice bagde
912 , 64 samba ,67 early bay ,
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Found a good few photos from other people of Ol’ Scruffy B*stard at Bicester Sunday Scramble

Had quite few people say it was nice to see a car that isn’t too pristine to use, not sure if that was just a polite way of saying it’s a mess or not but i’ll take it as a compliment :D

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Love this car!
Just looks so 'independent' to my eye
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

911hillclimber wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:48 pm Love this car!
Just looks so 'independent' to my eye

Haha thank you…. Independant eh?! :?
anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by anglophone1 »

It's got a great "outlaw" vibe- very much like the legendary Rolly Resos' car https://petrolicious.com/articles/this- ... ove-affair
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

anglophone1 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:33 pm It's got a great "outlaw" vibe- very much like the legendary Rolly Resos' car https://petrolicious.com/articles/this- ... ove-affair

Love that car!! Certainly inspiring :)
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Picked up a butt bucket for an absolute steal, has the right look for the car. Been in progress of making a mount for it.

Trial for in the car to work out positioning.

Picked up some 3 point harness’ to go with the butt seat. Hopefully not much longer and it will all be mounted properly.

Also started swapping the 50mm studs out for the 70mm ones. 5 done 15 to go!!

New discs whilst it’s apart

Much better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

I do like the look of the long studs.

Are you going to Classics at the Clubhouse?
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Ralph wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:46 pm I do like the look of the long studs.

Are you going to Classics at the Clubhouse?
I was really hoping to make it this year as always falls on a time when I have something going on, unfortunately yet again it does. Gutted!!
Spit Nolan
Married to the DDK

Post by Spit Nolan »

Been a while since I updated on here…

Seat install was finished up, a frame made up of to get the seat to sit exactly where I wanted it and allow use of runners so can slide forward and back.

Mounted the Luke harness but kept in the inertia reel belt too so can use either depending on spirit of the drive :)

Carried on using and abusing it and the new seat makes a big difference to the feel as holds my butt in place nicely.

Decided I had done my time with a 4 tip exhaust and had an imagine in my head of what I wanted so I sourced a couple of Stingers for VW’s and worked out what to do…

Off with the Ansa Marmitte 4 tip

Decided I wanted to run Megaphones but… with silencers! So I decided best option was to chop up the Ansa and basically just reuse it to make what I wanted.

A whole load of measuring went on as had to make sure the pipes sat in exactly the right spot and at exactly the right angle etc etc. was a lot harder than it sounds to get it right, ended up making a jig on the bench and getting one side tacked in place then back on the car to check and confirm before starting the other side. Then Making a final jig on the car so could make sure they both sat correct to each other.
To make it more difficult the two silencers don’t sit in the same place on each side and the outlet of each is in slightly different places but we made it work. Had a VW merged header to chop up for bits needed too.

Painted in light grey high temp paint as just thought the grey would work well with the car.

And it’s all done and on…

It is of course louder than before, but with the two silencers it is actually really good on the road, I can drive comfortably and still hear myself think and have a conversation with my passenger at any speed. But when you floor it then there is lots of glorious noise and few pops and bangs on the over run. Pretty happy with how it turned out. I’d still like to put some cookie cutters in the ends and built a support between the two that “looks right” but not got there yet. Have painted a white band round the end of each megaphone for now just because.

Then got on with some other bits…..