Tyres 356

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Tyres 356

Post by neilbardsley »

Spent an hour, and failed, on the www looking for an EU fuel rated A tyres for my 356 165/80 r15? Best I could get was C?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Re: Tyres 356

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Personally, Neil, I wouldn't use the fuel economy rating as a basis for buying tyres for a 356.

For a modern daily driver I might take that into consideration if there were a number of brands I was considering - but not for a 'classic' car ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

FWIW:
I buy all tyres except the Boxsters based on an A for wet grip, B's and C's for noise and economy in that order.
No tyre has straight A's.

I feel best grip in the wet is a Good Thing.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I think that tyres designed for/aimed at 'classic' cars are exempt from being rated for grip/noise/economy anyway.

For example if you look at 165/80x15 Vredestein Sprint Classic tyres on Camskill's website you see this:

If the 165/80 x 15 tyres you're looking at are rated it probably means they're modern tyres aimed at modern vehicles ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

Neil, not sure of your budget or if you are looking for a modern or classic tyre.

Dougal had a deal on his older stock cinturatos not so long ago.

Matt
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I have t trac 2 which are rated E. Let's assume the Sprint Classics are about the same but 3 times the cost. According to the rating it's 2.5% fuel efficiency per letter. They not have an extra 5 to 10% of rolling efficiency.

I'm with Graham on this. Modern tyres have much to offer

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
mycar

Post by mycar »

Have a read of Dougal's recommendations....

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... e/356.html

When I bought my 356 the previous owner told me that fitting Michelin XAS had completely transformed the handling (in a good way) and so I've stuck with them ever since.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Maybe not a popular point of view, but I would like A listed for wet roads when scooting down a motorway than a tyre that looks classic with unknown wet grip.
But I'm not a 'matching numbers' kind of person!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

The Michelin XAS' that I have on the 912 are fantastic - even in the wet.
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

I use Vredesteins T Trac on the Healey and will on the Porsche when my Nankangs are worn out. All about £40 and excellent. The Healey had Cinturatos and the Vredesteins we’re better, so I don’t waste money that I don’t need to, except last week I couldn’t get Vredesteins so I had to buy a couple of Continentals for £55 each for the Healey. I buy off Camkskill, who might be a trade supplier.

I will buy OEM tyres for my 718 as I did for my 987, but for a 356.......
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

mycar wrote:Have a read of Dougal's recommendations....

When I bought my 356 the previous owner told me that fitting Michelin XAS had completely transformed the handling (in a good way) and so I've stuck with them ever since.
Sorry I can't listen/read anything he says. Just from the way he had conducted himself on here. I'm sure he is much better in person

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
mycar

Post by mycar »

Here's Hayley, the only one to Drive up the Porsche Ice Hill at Silverstone faultlessly and without hesitation.

Hayley wears Michelin XAS

Be more Hayley.

Kieth Seume
SeanP
I luv DDK!

Post by SeanP »

Have had a lot of fun with the sprint classics fitted to my 12

Fun in the dry, good in the wet and not to to pricey
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Im going to buy some new front tyres for my 356 so I emailed customer support and asked them to compare the t trac 2 and Sprint Classic. Response below

"The construction and tread compound of the Sprint Classic is comparable with the T-Trac2 tyre.

The T-Trac 2 has a modern A-symmetrical tread pattern and stable tread block which improves the all performance parameters like handling, traction, braking on both wet and dry road.

For rolling resistance we don’t have the value for the Classic. But in the size size you will not recognize any difference on the car. Difference in tyre is really small. Tyre pressure is much more influencing.

Noise is difficult to compare. Noise on tyre table is exterior noise and is totally not comparable with interior noise. In worse cases it could be that the most quiet tyre on the label is the most noisy tyre in the interior.

The tread design of the T-Trac 2 is designed with noise as part of the requirements. The Sprint Classic is designed in a time that noise was not important, so the T-Trac 2 is absolutely the best on interior noise.

In a nutshell.. If you want to go for performance, the T-Trac 2 is the best! If you want to go for the classic design in combination with acceptable performance, the Sprint Classic is the best choice."

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

There are only 3 reasons for not fitting Cinturato or XAS

1/ It is a Pre A on 162 Wheels.
2/ your are racing.
3/ you just want crossply.
4/ you want something cheap.

oops! thats 4 reasons.
Longstone tyres