930 with a Fabspeed exhaust system anyone?

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Nerodino
DDK Seasoned Poster

930 with a Fabspeed exhaust system anyone?

Post by Nerodino »

I have just had my engine rebuilt inc new pistons and barrels chain tensioner upgrade etc etc
Any way I have put a fabspeed exhaust and header system on which was on my old engine ( long story but basically car now reunited with matching numbers lump)
Anyway the turbo was rebuilt by turbo dynamics and all good until...... turbo filled with fresh oil to prime before reconnecting supply line and engine fired up for first time..... all good whilst engine builder let all warm up then adjusted mixture etc.
I drove the car approx 500 yds all fine but couldn’t take her on the road as no MOT as yet due to her being off the road for over two years for bare metal rebuild..... anyway I then trailered the car home whereupon I started her up a few days later in readiness for said MOT..... I then noticed black smoke at the exhaust tips which didn’t clear ....... long story short, I found the intercooler soaked with engine oil which was being forced up from the turbo into the intake !!
Took all apart and turbo full of oil..... sent back to turbo dynamics whom said it was 100% perfect when it left them and I would be charged for another rebuild!
So I have now checked the scavenger pump which is working fine.... both oil lines to and from the pump are new and clear.
My question centres around the fact that the Fabspeed system employs a catch tank which has no breather outlet unlike the original which has a pipe back to the air box...... could this have become air locked thus preventing a flow across the turbo bearing?
I am reluctant to put the now expensive KKK back in situ and chance it again!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andytat
DDK forever

Re: 930 with a Fabspeed exhaust system anyone?

Post by andytat »

I have used that type of turbo scavenge tank many times without problem.
I have never primed a turbo in the past, I usually prime the engine by cranking
without the spark plugs and the fuel pump relay not fitted until the oil light goes
out. I can't see priming the turbo would damage it though, was the scavenge tank
filled with oil? If it was maybe most of that oil found it's way into the turbo which
caused the smoke. Once that amount of oil gets pushed into the intercooler it will
take an age to clear the smoke.
If it were me I would be remove the intercooler and clean it out thoroughly then
refit the turbo and take it for a good run.
Also, was the engine overfilled with oil, by any chance?
I hope that's helpfull.

Regards Andy
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Nerodino
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Nerodino »

Nine One One wrote:Not sure if this thread will help you........

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930- ... ssues.html

or this one?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930- ... ems-3.html
The second thread I found yesterday too
It’s very interesting about the upgraded thrust bearing and I will phone turbo dynamics in the morning to see if they fitted the upgraded one which gives greater flow across the turbo bearing which is fine in most applications but not the 930 where the scavenger pump appears not to be able to cope with the extra flow!!!
Nerodino
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Nerodino »

Sadly the two threads relate to K27 turbos whilst my 83 car employs the earlier KKK 3LDZ variant which doesn't ( according to Turbodynamics) have an alternative thrust bearing so I am back at square one!