speedo not working, how do i get the cable out

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

speedo not working, how do i get the cable out

Post by bazz55 »

hello, i have a 911 and my speedo has stopped working... im thinking that the cable must of snapped so am looking at replacing it... i have looked in the haynes manual that has about 10 lines about it and 1 pic.. great!!

my car is a 69 so it has the bracket that holds it in place so you cannot remove it from the front... this is making life a nightmare as in the bonnet area infront of the speedo is the heater blower housing... i cannot get to the back of the speedo... and am having a mare trying to get this out to give access!!

anyone with knowledge and possible pics to help me on my way... need to get the mot on my car so i cant drive it at the mo!! :( :( :(

any help would be great

ta bazz
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Bazz,

You should be able to get it out with the heater in, I assume the heater is the same as the slightly later cars, mine is a '72. I changed the cable on mine without removing the heater, just the cardboard cover panel and the feed hose / direction valve on one side. The valve comes off with the two self tappers from the grille on the underside of the dash. Pull off the hoses and then you should be able to get the valve out of the way. It's a fiddle but can be done. If you develop long fingers and a tolerance to getting your forearms scratched to pieces you'll have it done in no time. :)

All else fails getting the heater out is not difficult, remove the grille under the wipers and you'll find two long M6 screws, undo those and the heater will come loose, detach the hoses and the connector for the fan and it's out.

Good luck! :)
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Gary

As someone else needing a new cable :( do you just purchase an 'inner', or does the replacement include the outer casing?

Also how easy it it to get the new one from the front to the back of the car?

TIA
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Ian,

I replaced the whole thing with a replacement of a scrap car (£25 from Pro9 in Solihull)

Getting it down the tunnel was a interesting game :shock: , but only took 30 minutes, I did have the advantage of pit to work in though.

Don't know if you can just replace the inner. Anyone else????
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

I can certainly backup Gary's description of scratched arms. Mine is a '69 model too, getting the gauges out is tricky, but possible. Getting the knurled nut back on when you've finished is just the icing on the cake ! It may seem hard work, but for the first time, you may be best to just take the heater out, until you are more familiar with the layout.
I was fidling with the Tacho, so can't help with the speedo cable issues. sorry.
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

hi fellas... after examining the speedo cable at the connection to the gearbox i have found the cable still intact... i have tested it and it moves the speedo when turned...

the problem seems to be with the linkage coming off the gear box... the cable is securely in place but on the back of the bit that comes off the gearbox looks like some sort of cap or gearing has popped out??

what do i do now?? :cry:

is this replacable??

thanks bazz
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

I have seen that a few times and no matter what I used to put the plug back in, it still works it's way loose. Best thing to do is replaced the speedo drive. If you jack the front of the car up a little higher when you change it the gearbox oil will not come out. Otherwise quickly take the broken one out and stick the new one in.

HTH Bazz

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

thanks for the advice was wondering about the gearbox oil... cool, have sourced one from roger bray but they are around £120 id there anywhere else that sell em slighty cheaper :drunken:
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

I am not sure, I had a spare one which I used.
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

right fellas... need more help... basically found that the speedo drive on the gearbox was knackered!! have since replaced this with another and have tested the cable also and that seems fine... been out for a test drive and still nothing :( :cry:

is the peg that comes out of the gearbox that fits into the drive supposed to move freely?? cannot move it at all... or does it only move when engaged in gear??

or could it be a problem in the gearbox itself...

please any help would be great

thanks bazz
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

anyone???
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Bazz, it shouldn't move unless the gearbox is turning, so sounds OK.

Jack one wheel off the ground and put the car in gear, get a mate to spin the wheel whilst you hold onto the peg, if it spins then it should be turning the cable. Good luck :)
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

hi Gary have just done that... the car is on axle stands... disconnected the speedo cable and spun the wheels whilst in gear... and still nothing????

thanks bazz
davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

Hello bazz.

I posted a description of the anatomy on the other thread..

But wonder if the new drive may not have correctly mated with the drive peg coming out of the gearbox...

When screwing the new drive in, rotate its output peg slowly to see if you can feel the resistance of the gearbox output peg rubbing its mate..as you can appreciate, they need to be aligned so that the flat peg will slip into the slot in the new drive.

Hope this helps..

Kind regards
David
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

hi david many thanks for some tech knowledge... i am struggling at the mo... thinks its mated up fine... after jacking the car up today and spinning the wheels while in gear the peg coming out of the gearbox did not move.... we think it might be something in the gearbox itself gone wrong???

cheers pal bazz