Flat Four Drive Cancelled

Any Porsche events or other related car events you know of please post them here

Moderators: hot66, Helen, abm914

anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Flat Four Drive Sunday 10am 20th Sep 5th Year

Post by anglophone1 »

In Ireland it’s 6 inside and 15 outside
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

It differs for every country - in England it will be 6 indoors or outdoors from Monday.
The force is strong in this one ......
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I think we will have to give it a miss? I would rather not be the star of a Daily mail article.

However, I could do this Sunday but probably too short notice for everyone?

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

No good to me - ferry booked for next Thursday!!
I need to get a look at my 914 at Greatworth.
What happens to pubs etc. with outside eating - like Caffeine and Machine or indeed Cotswold Distiilery?
Does this have an end date?
There’s a major event at Bicester Heritage 19/20th and of course Scramble on October 4th.
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

anglophone1 wrote:No good to me - ferry booked for next Thursday!!
I need to get a look at my 914 at Greatworth.
What happens to pubs etc. with outside eating - like Caffeine and Machine or indeed Cotswold Distiilery?
Does this have an end date?
There’s a major event at Bicester Heritage 19/20th and of course Scramble on October 4th.
C
No fixed end date. I think the article I said was hopefully before Christmas
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

I can possibly do this Sunday, and the weather looks great. How many can make that? Appropriately distanced etc of course. Will the venue be open? Sorry it won’t work for you Clive.
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

Could still run it out of/or to Caffeine and Machine on 20th - all book carpark for same time- have brunch and head off on drive or viceversa. Cant see that they are going to/can limit that kind of venue to 6!!!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Having looked closer at this, it really is a ridiculous piece of legislature. Apparently pubs and clubs will stay open so essentially you can have a pub or the Cotswold distillery open and have 300 people in attendance but it is okay as long as you don't have 6 people sitting together at a table :roll: :roll:

This is really a knee jerk reaction from the press publishing pictures of people last weekend gathering in large groups outside pubs and venues with a complete disregard to social distancing and then the spike in numbers has been attributed to this. Basically you can go to work with 20 people in the same office but only six of us can go to the pub together?

It might be worth checking with Caffiene and the Machine and turning up there individually but as Neil said we don't want to be in the Daily Mail and a group of classic Porsches travelling in convoy is obviously going to arouse attraction and would inevitably draw attention from the police who will ask what we are doing and is it a social gathering :director: :sad11:

If there were sufficient numbers then I would be happy to meet up but as we cannot undertake the drive that really negates the purpose of the Flat Four Drive. Gutted as I missed last year and this was one of the highlights in the calendar :cry:
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

So maybe let’s count our numbers. I’m coming alone so count me as 1.
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

I’m just 1 too.
Caffeine and Machine ask you to book your car in at a specific time on Saturday/Sunday ( £5 I think)- and give you a 2 hour window- so we could all book the same time for breakfast at start or end for lunch.
Can’t see that a few old cars are going to attract attention- even meeting up at Burton Dasset - en route is no problem- you are in your own bubble.
You could have 2 groups of 6 if there are more than that.
I’m booked to come over from Ireland next Thursday especially as the inaugural drive for my new 914 - said I would join in last year.
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

I have contacted Caffeine and Machine to check the situation and possibility of a meet at breakfast or Lunch and will report back but interested in Neils view?

Mike
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Personally I can't run the career risk of someone calling in my number plate. It's unlikely but not impossible that suddenly you are famous and unemployed for all the wrong reasons.
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Hi I contacted Caffiene and Machine but as Neil has highlighted, which is a very good point, I also cannot be picked up as participating in an event and I think a group of Porsches running round the countryside will gather attention. I would be happy to drive to Caffiene and Machine who are limiting numbers to booking slots only and request no more than 6 in one group.

I did contact Caffiene and Machine and this was the reply.

Hi Michael,

You're all very welcome to join us but you will all need to purchase tickets in order to be able to visit us on a weekend. The link for tickets is set out below:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/caffeine ... 9349444580

Yes please. If you could split into groups of no more than six people, that would be wonderful and we appreciate you considering this as many don't unfortunately.

We open from 9am on Fridays and weekends so there will be a breakfast menu available should that be your preference.

I hope this helps but if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes, Claire

Claire Udell
www.caffeineandmachine.com
#cultofmachine

Quoting Michael Brough <mail@caffeineandmachine.com>:

Hi we were to have an early 60's air cooled Flat 4 Porsche run on the 20th September and wondered if instead we could meet at Caffiene and Machine. I am aware of the regulations that come in from Monday and we could split into 2 groups of six. Is this possible? Breakfast or Lunch, Best regards, Mike
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
jeremyg

Flat Four Drive Sunday 10am 20th Sep 5th Year

Post by jeremyg »

There has to be a legitimate and/or organisational way around this. Having read the rules..

First of all - how many are expecting to come? Neil - do you know the answer to this?

We don’t have a problem if it’s only 6 people. If we are over that then as above maybe we have 2 separate groups? One goes to Caffeine the other to Burton Dassett? We don’t meet up, but we’ve all had a good time and acted responsibly.

In our groups we would socially distance, wear masks where necessary, and leave our contact details wherever we are asked to.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

jeremyg wrote:There has to be a legitimate and/or organisational way around this. Having read the rules..

First of all - how many are expecting to come? Neil - do you know the answer to this?

We don’t have a problem if it’s only 6 people. If we are over that then as above maybe we have 2 separate groups? One goes to Caffeine the other to Burton Dassett? We don’t meet up, but we’ve all had a good time and acted responsibly.

In our groups we would socially distance, wear masks where necessary, and leave our contact details wherever we are asked to.
Guys, I have been watching this thread with interest because have another car event planned elsewhere on the same day (I didnt see this one until later, otherwise I would have joined you and selected a different date for mine). My interpretation is also that we can comply with the law by splitting into groups when we are out of the cars, before and after we go off on our drive. I think the note from C&M helps to validate that point - its great that they gave you the thumbs up. I am planning on greeting our cars as they arrive, and dividing them into groups of max 6 people, with a decent distance between the groups of cars/people. Proper social distancing and masks within the groups if less than 2 metres. No swapping groups.....

Anyway, I'll be watching with interest. All the best! :bounce:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored