Any speed survey experts?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

dogbower
DDK forever

Any speed survey experts?

Post by dogbower »

Someone is trying to build in the field behind us. They have been very clever in their application, and it looks like it will get passed, although going to committee. My last hope of getting it refused is problems with access.
A new driveway is being created to serve the property, it’s the only place it can go. A speed survey has been done that (just)supports the viewing distances they have. It’s a national speed limit road.
However this survey was done last December, when we had negative temperatures overnight, so obviously traffic was slower. The road in question is a direct link to Hartside pass , so is popular with bikers/ enthusiastic drivers in the summer.
I have asked that the survey is done again at a more appropriate time of the year, but highways say they are happy with it. Even though you would have to be able to see through trees to reply deliver the distances they claim.
I have found some guidelines that indicate survey should be done at a representative time of the year, but looking for something a bit more concrete.
I know I sound a bit ,not in my backyard, but this won’t really sort the housing shortage.
Any help / advise would be welcome.
Stuart
1971 911E
1990 986S
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Any speed survey experts?

Post by Sam »

Ultimately the committee decision is a subjective one, so you could write an objection on these grounds or stand up and speak expressing your concerns that’ the survey is old and unrepresentative. They might agree with you and reject it in spite of Highways’ view. They’re local people so will know about bikers using the road. Though it may still then go through on appeal as if the planning officer and highways officer are happy an inspector probably will be too.

Traffic survey methodology isn’t fixed, so you may also find a summer survey goes the same way if they, for example, drop off the outlying top and bottom 1% as anomalies and the bikers don’t show.

Pro-tip though: Im not sure how serious you were being, but new houses definitely will sort the housing shortage, and after a while you’ll get used to them and it won’t bother you anything like as much.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

Thanks Sam
I know we would ultimately get used to the new house.
It’s more the way they went about it. Survey was deliberately done in winter, 6 months before planning application, but not included with application.
It magically appeared when highways requested one, and only just passed in winter, so no chance outside of negative temperatures.
Will be speaking at committee, thinking of respectfully requesting a new survey is done.
We have had a fatality on the road, but this had more to do with a bunch of miffed farmers in the back of a pick up coming off the road.
The plans wouldn’t pass county regulations, but local parish has its own, and it complies with that.
It appears just build where you like!
We are an AOAB, has 2 listed buildings next to it and a scheduled flue on the land. Next to an area of scientific interest, and it’s going to have a dangerous driveway.
All for a 1 bedroom, cottage!
Rant over.
Stuart
1971 911E
1990 986S
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

Speed studies are normally based on the 85th percentile, so highest and lowest speeds will most likely be discounted. This speed will inform the size of the visibility splays required.

Parish councils don't normally have the power to grant planning permissions, just input a view into the local planning authority - is your PC also the LPA ? I thought that planning approvals must also comply with national and local planning laws, with local parish adding restrictions, not removing.

Peter
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

Our local parish council can’t grant planning permission, but has its own policy which takes precedence over regional.
It was part of a trial to give more power to local people. My neighbour was part of the team who came up with the policy! She’s now trying to sell but has this planning application hanging over her. Oh the irony.
Aware of the 85th percentile figure, it wouldn’t pass with the splays they have if the survey was done outside of winter. It’s not just ignoring the higher/lower speeds, more an average.So if more higher speeds, then 85th moves up.
Stuart
1971 911E
1990 986S
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

Source some Great crested newts.Dig a pond.Fill with newts.Inform Nature Trust.Then cultivate a growth of Japanese knotweed.Thatll hold em up for years.
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

We had a similar issue with a plan to build in the field opposite. I did not trust the applicant to complete the survey correctly, or present it correctly either, so we did our own 12 hour traffic volume survey from our house (volunteers from our lane all did one hour shifts). We then submitted our own survey with our objection.

It is a little more difficult with speed, but I suppose if you could find a contact that does community speed watch with a calibrated camera you might be able to pull something together...
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Sam

Post by Sam »

Our local parish council can’t grant planning permission, but has its own policy which takes precedence over regional.
I’m struggling to think of a single reason why this is a good idea!
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

Sam, I think the theory is that local people will understand the needs of the local area, and would represent the wishes of locals.
But 9 neighbors received notification of the application, and 9 objected. No one is in favour
In practice, they are still working to targets. And we have one member who objects to most planning applications. Apart from this one as she is the aunt of the applicant.
Did I say rant over last time.
1971 911E
1990 986S
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

I have yet to hear of any application for a house in a local village where there are no objections. It is always the same selfish attitude. We have our nice house and we don't want any more! I always thought it was a mad idea giving locals the say as progress and building will stop completely! Just wait until the local council want to build social housing in your village and then you will have something to complain about! No offence intended OP just what I observe locally!
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Whilst I sympathise with your situation, it sounds as if the individual who is applying for planning permission, is local to the village, especially if the Aunt who chose not to object to it is on your committee. She should have declared a ‘personal interest’ so would have been void of voting anyway?

What makes this house's location any different to your own for the speed of traffic exiting onto the road.

We have too many villages in Cornwall where ‘outsiders’ buy them as second homes at highly inflated prices. The village community just dies off, and they are dead for most of the year leading to the local shops and and schools closing down.

If some one local who has grown up in the area wants to live there, why not. It seems to be a small one bedroom place. At least its not being bought, knocked down, and turned into some modern monstrosity, of glass and plastic facade so out of touch with the local community as we have here in places.

Unfortunately with local small villages, the only option for local residents is to find what small plots of land they can to build on, just to stay where the family has grown up for decades. Either that or move out of the village totally to get on the housing market?
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

I totally agree nine one one. I bought a mk1 golf gti in the Lake District 5 years ago. Went to quite a modern bungalow to collect where I met the vendors father. The son had to move to Cockermouth away from the local village. The father had a huge garden and had applied to build the son a house but was told absolutely no chance. He said most of the houses in the village were now holiday houses owned by Londoners.
I do think the planning system stinks!
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

Sorry if I have touched a nerve by asking for advice.
Obviously every situation is different, and yes I am protective of the home I have spent the last 12 years restoring.

No applicant is not local, but has family in area, and the property is going to be a holiday home.
Of the small scale developments around here, the expensive ones get sold to retired folk. The more affordable ones get sold to less well off retired folk. .
I agree the planning process is bonkers, but more than that it’s the lack of housing being built for first time buyers.
Stuart
1971 911E
1990 986S
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

If its going to be used as a holiday home, I would base your objections on that. Whats the point of somebody having a second home somewhere, when local residents can not even afford to live in their own village, or buy a plot of land to do what this person is going to do, for occupation for, what 2 months of the year if they are lucky. Either that or rent it out as a business. No wonder there is a housing shortage for people who NEED houses.

If this one goes ahead, it will set a precedent for others to do, just the same, as this person has done. Something is very amiss with planning approvals nowadays...........money talks and gets you what you want. There is no way this should be approved as a holiday let!
Sam

Post by Sam »

dogbower wrote:Of the small scale developments around here, the expensive ones get sold to retired folk. The more affordable ones get sold to less well off retired folk. .
I agree the planning process is bonkers, but more than that it’s the lack of housing being built for first time buyers.
The theory goes that those retired folk then sell their house to a family, who sell their house to a couple, who sell their house to that first time buyer.

It doesn’t matter what you build, more houses increases supply and more supply drops prices.

Though I do think the holiday home thing is a real challenge for lots of pretty rural areas, I’d imagine especially so if they’re officially the happiest place in the country to live.