Door Mirror position - right hand side

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

ghia70
DDK above all

Door Mirror position - right hand side

Post by ghia70 »

I have an original door mirror (I think) fitted to the right hand side of the car (passenger side). Was originally fitted as a factory option however i can't see the mirror when driving as its obscured. Was there a different style mirror fitted to the passenger side ? - would need to be slightly longer to move it backwards along the door.

any advice appreciated.

Danny
1968 912
1970 Karmann Ghia
1960 LI 125 Lambretta
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Re: Door Mirror position - right hand side

Post by Ian 2.2S »

I believe that when the optional passenger door mirror is fitted, it was the same mirror, but fitted further back as you suggest. I am sure one of our more knowledgable brethren will come back with further details/measurements. I guess your issue is that re-postioning will mean filling in holes (is the door original, or could it have been swapped in the past for a RHD door?
Ian
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Wherever you mount a passenger side mirror the view it provides will be virtually useless !

I think those who've persevered & fitted one have positioned it approx 4in further back when compared to the one on the driver's side.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
ghia70
DDK above all

Post by ghia70 »

Thanks for the replies. looks like its the original door, will try different positions to see if any work.

Danny
1968 912
1970 Karmann Ghia
1960 LI 125 Lambretta
graybum
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by graybum »

I can't offer a solution, but can sympathise. I have a '67 LHD 912, which had a RH mirror as a factory option, and it's completely invisible from the driver's seat.

Apart from making the car more symmetrical, it serves no practical purpose whatsoever!