Solex carb tuning on 912

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Paddy911
DDK Newbie

Solex carb tuning on 912

Post by Paddy911 »

Advice needed re tuning Solex carbs on my 912.No matter how much I try to weaken them I still have sooty plugs.
Can anyone recommend a reputable tuner in the Southampton area?
Bill
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Solex carb tuning on 912

Post by Kneeslider »

Hi there Bill.

Solex carbs really aren't hard to sort out. Firstly, how stock is your engine? If it isn't far away from standard, then just have a look at the jet sizes and compare them to what they should be.

I have a set of 912 split shaft carbs in my 356 and they are excellent instruments. Before messing with the carbs, its important to make sure that the valve clearances and the ignition timing are spot on. Only then take a look at the carbs.

I think that the stock jet sizes are 57.5 for the pilot jets and 125 for mains? The mixture screws lean the mixture when screwed all the way in, but trying to adjust for every condition by just playing with these won't sort things. The other thing that could cause funny looking plugs could be an incorrect heat range plug being fitted.

If you were further up north, I would suggest Bogg Brothers in East Yorkshire, who have a variable load rolling road, which is really what you need along with a fuel air sensor in the exhaust. They sorted me out when I couldn't get a good set up on my engine, but that was mainly because stock baseline settings didn't get me very far, and my engine was a real mix of bits, and quite a way from stock.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Solex carb tuning on 912

Post by neilbardsley »

Mark Collins @912uk is in Southampton maybe he can recommend someone!

Sent from my X5pro using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP