Orange T light resto / sports purpose

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Orange T light resto / sports purpose

Post by 911flyboy »

As the title suggests I bought an orange 1970 911T from the states in May this year. I had seen many other cars in the states come to the UK that were in fairly average condition so rather than try and buy a freshly landed car I figured it would be easier to find one myself. After a few weeks of looking I found an honest car in Washington. I didn’t have time to go and see it but I was satisfied with a fair and honest description of the car with loads of photos. I took the plunge and wasn’t disappointed when the car arrived via Kingstown shipping. Luckily I seemed to dodge any bureaucracy that afflicted Keith and my car was quickly registered. I’ve only driven it once but I have managed to get on with a lot of the trivia details while I wait for the car to go to Oak Tree to be fettled. It’s going to have the carbs rebuilt before going to Crispin so should come back running like a new car!
The previous owner had painted the car Gulf Orange (it’s original signal orange) about 10 years ago and it still looks good if not concourse. Unfortunately somebody dented the front bumper during shipping so it’s going in to have that fixed next month. Kingstown were very good about that and I can’t rate them highly enough. The car had stood for a few years and needs going through to get it back to fine fettle. The engine isn’t original but is a 71 T on Weber’s which pulls very with no smoke even though they clearly need rebuilding. The gearbox however is pretty epic with a period short shift on the original 901 box, a quaife LSD and a relatively recent rebuild. So far I’ve stripped and cleaned most of the interior, doors front trunk and replaced a ton of seals. I will list all the jobs when I get a chance but most things had siezed and just needed stripping cleaning and reassembly (pedal box, heater blower, door locks, dashboard and switches, seat mechanisms and the hand throttle to name but a few) with the bigger jobs yet to come. The brakes and suspension have all new components but have been sitting for at least 5 years so it will probably mean rebuilt calipers and a new MC and lots of new bushes. The engine is just going to be serviced, set up and driven for a bit until I decide where i want to go with it. New SSIs, K&N air filters, rebuilt carbs and a proper fuel pump, filter arrangement.
I posted a thread over 13 years ago on here expressing a desire to build a Waldegard ST replica/ interpretation ! This might get be the car to finally do it with but I’m still reluctant to cut up a rust free car albeit one that’s been repainted and has had an engine swap. Here are some initial photos below and I will update it when I get home with some of the work done so far.

Cheers

Rich
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Re: Orange T light resto / sports purpose

Post by 911flyboy »

Hold that thought on the photos! Tapatalk has locked me out and I can’t upload the photos.....
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Oh dear! Was looking forward to them
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

The hotel WiFi is a bit dodgy here so it doesn’t seem to like it. Very frustrating , sorry!
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Sounds like just the right car to develop to your taste without any remorse about originality. Gulf orange is a great and rare colour even though it’s a change and would suit a sports purpose leaning very nicely.
Looking forward to photos.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
KS

Post by KS »

:happy1:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Get those photos working !! ... we’re all hanging here
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

I don’t think I will be able to upload the photos until tomorrow as tapatalk just won’t work here. As an aside I went for a walk ( I’m in San Fran) and popped into Cars Dawydiak. They have a lovely 72T in the same yellow as your S James. It’s lovely and seems very straight for $85k. It featured in Classic Porsche some time ago and I suggested that they post an ad on here. No affil but a nice car.
Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

Finally! It’s the internet here. It won’t upload for some reason so will do the rest tomorrow!

Rich

Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

:cheers: ....a 911 you can actually drive! :wink:

Looking forward to seeing the car Rich, sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun :thumbright:
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

Now now cheeky. Fair point tho ! Yep I’m really enjoying working on it. Found a gem I hope!

Cheers Rich
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

ImageImageImage

911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

ImageImage
So for those who have a 70/71 that little part is very important. I think it’s 70/71 only but it’s a clutch trunion in metal as opposed to the OEM plastic which goes hard, breaks and leaves you stranded. I always carry a spare clutch cable which is 70/71 only as well. A sensible upgrade for this car and only £40 from Brays. The rest of the parts here will be going on next week after the car has had the callipers rebuilt and been to paint. I’ve then got to wait for a slot in the carb rebuild queue before it goes for its final fettle. I’ll post some questions in the 911 sections about some sports purpose options, namely the spares cover / tool roll. Also I’m unsure about a dansk dual outlet exhaust . There seems to be a few options but I guess they could be quite loud so will leave it until it’s running properly to decide on which is best. This is the look I want but without the ‘real racing sound’ which sounds ominous. A great little car that one.

911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

Rear partition with tools and spares pocket

Anybody ever seen one or have a photo?

Rich