New member in West Yorks

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

dt4
DDK addict

New member in West Yorks

Post by dt4 »

Hi
I have been lurking awhile as I awaited the arrival of my 914 coming over from the LA area.
It arrived on Wednesday, its in a semi dismantled state although it does run, stop and turn.

The car is a solid and sound vehicle, it is currently in primer over old paint.
The main restoration is going to be in sourcing good replacement parts for any old unserviceable or damaged beyond repair parts, in the bodywork and in the interior trim and upholstery

I have boxes and boxes of parts that came with the car, some of which I can see are duplicates

It would be great to speak to and meet other owners in my neck of the woods
hot66

Re: New member in West Yorks

Post by hot66 »

Welcome to Ddk :)

Where about in west York’s?

We have a few meet ups for drives etc more into North Yorkshire or winter curry meets at Brotherton ( ferrybridge)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

I'm in Rothwell, just outside of Leeds
Ferrybridge / Brotherton is about 25mins from me.
I think know the Curry place, it used to be the Brotherton Fox, just off what was the A1 is now the A162?
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Welcome to DDK!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

This went through the auction yesterday at matthewsons
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... 0-city-e-8
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

I went to look at that last weekend
It was past saving in my view, the chassis integrity was gone and it was folding in the middle and nipping the doors up
The floor, front and rear boot, doors, wings, A pillars, rear quarters were shot through
It had been a jersey car most of its life and was complete and the interior wasnt too bad, the dash and centre console, door cards, and back pad were in good condition so valuable to some one with a US import with sun damage
It is a 2.0 litre model but not running so if it turns out to have a good engine and transmission it would have value.

I went back today to see it through the auction
I set my limit based on the nominal value of parts that were of interest to me and I pulled out at £1600, it went for £1650. I was initially going to go to £1800 which would have then cost circa £2000 including the commission but decided I could buy a lot of parts for £2000 hence pulling out a bit earlier than planned

I hope the winning bidder is a member, it would be good to know his plans and how he valued it
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

A few pictures from the shipping stage, delivery to UK, start of the strip down and onto body work and primer
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

Photos are too large to post so will have to settle for using your imagination
It was in LA then it was shipped to Felixstowe then transported to Leeds
I then dismantled it and then stripped it of all paint and now I am in the process of filing, sanding and applying the etch primer
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

dt4 wrote:This went through the auction yesterday at matthewsons
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... 0-city-e-8
It went for 1650 plus commission at matthewsons, its now on ebay at 3600.
I had a pretty good look at it and dropped out at 1600.
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Blimey- I've just had a look at the listing, and £3600 seems a bit optimistic! Clearly the hell hole is going to be, well, a hole, given that the passenger side is displaying a lot more sag than the driver's. I would say you did well to set and keep a limit.

The rear panel as gone too, so I doubt there is any boot floor left for the rust to gave crept to there!

Welcome to DDK. I am about an hour south from you in Notts, but built my car from a shell and boxes of parts and more than happy to help

Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

thanks for the offer Wayne and the welcome, I will follow that up in the spring, I have got the body in primer now and will spend the winter working on the front and rear valences, the sill covers and finding an upholsterer - there is plenty to keep me occupied.
It would be good to look at a compete car and take photos so I have something to work to when figuring out what all the parts in boxes are for

the front boot, rear boot and cabin floors were all holed, the a pillars are holed, the door bottoms, the trunk lid were all rotten
the best piece of body work was the targa top, the wing tops have holes and I think there were holes just below the sails
The value to me was in the dash which was in good condition as is a lot of the trim, the a pillar and targa seals etc.... its a 2.0 litre engine which wasnt noted by Matthewsons and isnt included in the current advert so i was interested in the engine which is claimed to rum from a bottle feed.
The carbs were in bits on the drviers seat when i looked at it.
The bumpers were also possibly salvagable and the steering wheel and gear knob were ok
I would have used it as a donor of parts better than any I have and as an assembly guide, then once it had served its purpose, dismantled it for spares and had a look at the engine and gear box as a possible future rebuild project.
I am surprised they have managed to get it straight enough to open and close the doors, they wouldnt close when I saw it.
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

How my car arrived last August
Attachments
post-23161-1565794601_thumb (4).jpg
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

and how it is now....
Attachments
post-23161-1594368097_thumb (2).jpg
post-23161-1594368058_thumb (4).jpg
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Looks like great progress in less than a year!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

rhd racer wrote:Blimey- I've just had a look at the listing, and £3600 seems a bit optimistic!
I think that is being very kind Wayne. I'm sure this wreck has been around before and not worth the auction price never mind the listing price!!!

Your car is looking good dt4.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........