2020 DDK Alpine Adventure

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

2020 DDK Alpine Adventure

Post by jeremyg »

I may be mad, especially with the state of the pound and all the likely Brexit confusion next year, but it seems to me there’s a big opportunity for a fabulous 356 continental trip coming up. And Trish and I are looking for other 356’s to do it with us.

I’ve always wanted to drive one of the ultimate roads for a 356. The very type of road they were made for, and indeed the very road they actually tested the 356’s hill climbing abilities and downhill braking on, The Grossglockner High Alpine Road.

The article above really whetted my appetite - all about the Porsche family influence and tradition in this area of The Austrian Alps. It’s where they still have their property and “Schuttgut” family farm in Zell Am See. It’s Porsche territory. And what a road.

Driving these roads promises magnificent alpine views, through some of the most beautiful alpine pastures you can wish for. The Porsche family even own a hotel here too, at Prielau on the banks of Zeller See.

And of course where we’re heading for is Gmund, where the first 356’s were built.

There’s a rich Porsche history of touring in this region, and of course throughout alpine Europe. But getting there next year could be something special too..

I’ve been planning to do this trip for sometime, but next year the Porsche gods align. The 356 International Meeting is being held in Munich in late May. It seems fortuitous ( if undeniably hellish expensive) because we could convoy down via Stuttgart (and the Porsche museum), join the International meeting in Munich, with all its drive outs and events, and then motor on down via Salzburg to the Austrian Alps. The meeting is in late May and the Alpine passes generally open in early May, so the timing is right.

After Gmund, seeing the Porsche museum there and exploring its history, we were thinking we could head back by taking a route west over to a wonderful area of the Italian Dolomites, and the beautiful historic (and Porsche historic) town of Merano.

Merano has been the centre for Porsche meetings, treffen, for many years. It’s a Porsche friendly town with a rich history.

From this base we can explore the Dolomites, where we had some wonderful drives on the 356 International meeting in Merano in 2012, just after our 356’s restoration.

This is just an itinerary that’s in our minds, but we’d love to see if some other 356 owners would like to think about joining the trip, and add their own passions and ideas. There’s something very special about a group of early Porsche’s thrumming their way through the alpine passes. It would be fantastic if we could get up to half a dozen 356’s in the convoy.

It’s a long way off, (time to save up!?) and I’ll contact those I hope might be interested direct of course, but if anyone else wants to get involved and know more, then let me know.

Trips like this take a lot of organisation, and we might have to sell a few kidneys too, but I’m happy to put the organisation in and make it happen. You only live once, and we’re lucky enough to have some brilliant little motors, and we’re meant to use them, properly.
hot66

Re: 2020 DDK Alpine Adventure

Post by hot66 »

Having just done almost the alps / Dolomites etc route this year in 911’s I’d recommend anyone who has the time to go and join Jeremy ... ( I know if I had a 356 I’d be going) . For anymore inspiration see our thread on here 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

hot66 wrote:Having just done almost the alps / Dolomites etc route this year in 911’s I’d recommend anyone who has the time to go and join Jeremy ... ( I know if I had a 356 I’d be going) . For anymore inspiration see our thread on here 8)
I saw your trip thread James - very jealous! All you have to do now is buy a 356. Go on. You know you want one.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Would have a 356 cab tomorrow if I was flush
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Hi Jeremy,

Having done such a sterling job organising Sherborne, work permitting, Lesley and I would be interested in joining you in our 59A.

Thx
Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

mrg3.6 wrote:Hi Jeremy,

Having done such a sterling job organising Sherborne, work permitting, Lesley and I would be interested in joining you in our 59A.

Thx
Martin
Brilliant Martin. I’ll keep you posted.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Yes I'm interested but I'm confused about the dates. Are you talking late May? Also I don't want to go to a 356 International Event for reasons stated in early thread :)
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Burma-Shave

Post by Burma-Shave »

Brilliant. I’ve always loved the idea of a proper treffen in my 356. So, pencil me in :)
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

neilbardsley wrote:Yes I'm interested but I'm confused about the dates. Are you talking late May? Also I don't want to go to a 356 International Event for reasons stated in early thread :)
Good questions Neil. It’s only late May if we include going to the International meeting in Munich. If we don’t go to the meeting then we can go anytime we all chose - as long as the passes are open, which is normally from early May. It may be possible perhaps to ‘drop in’ on the meeting in Munich, as we’re passing, and join them for a drive-out. May be very wishful thinking, but you don’t know until you ask.

Anyway, great to note you may be interested - plenty of time to talk it through.

Any other takers? Come on you 356 owners - it’ll be a great trip!
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Please include me! Mine is home and now I’m running in the engine and ironing out bugs.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Ashley James wrote:Please include me! Mine is home and now I’m running in the engine and ironing out bugs.

Wow it’s looking great Ashley. And good to hear you’re up for it. I’ll keep you posted. We have 4 possibles now - it’s becoming a proper collection of 356’s!
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

jeremyg wrote:
neilbardsley wrote:Yes I'm interested but I'm confused about the dates. Are you talking late May? Also I don't want to go to a 356 International Event for reasons stated in early thread :)
Good questions Neil. It’s only late May if we include going to the International meeting in Munich. If we don’t go to the meeting then we can go anytime we all chose - as long as the passes are open, which is normally from early May. It may be possible perhaps to ‘drop in’ on the meeting in Munich, as we’re passing, and join them for a drive-out. May be very wishful thinking, but you don’t know until you ask.

Anyway, great to note you may be interested - plenty of time to talk it through.

Any other takers? Come on you 356 owners - it’ll be a great trip!
Might be possible. When it was in the UK non meeting 356ers were invited to Hedingham?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Good point.
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Jeremy
That sounds like a great trip
Jealous already
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Burma-Shave wrote:Brilliant. I’ve always loved the idea of a proper treffen in my 356. So, pencil me in :)
Consider yourself pencilled Johnny. Great news.