Upgraded steering box on my 356A

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Upgraded steering box on my 356A

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

Just finished installing a ZF steering box in the 56
Seems to have improved the handling. More stable and
less wandering.

I think this was well worth the effort.

Jeremy
1956 356A
Graham
DDK forever

Re: Upgraded steering box on my 356A

Post by Graham »

A great upgrade on an early car, they're such a more substantial unit compared to the early one.
1985 MZ Simson/KH 125 Sprint bike
1302s one family owner
1963 AMC 660 Classic
1957 Peugeot TC4 race bike

Sadly gone:
74' 914/4 2.0
68' SWB 911
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Yes a good decision. Take care to fill the unit with the exact amount of oil. Don't overfill it. I never realized for so many years you turn the steering wheel till looking into the oil filler hole you can see the void for oil. I am convinced I did not do that and added too much and allowed the excess to get past under pressure ? the seals. Directly I removed all the oil and then filled it to the correct quantity the leakage immediately stopped happening.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

roy mawbey wrote:Yes a good decision. Take care to fill the unit with the exact amount of oil. Don't overfill it. I never realized for so many years you turn the steering wheel till looking into the oil filler hole you can see the void for oil. I am convinced I did not do that and added too much and allowed the excess to get past under pressure ? the seals. Directly I removed all the oil and then filled it to the correct quantity the leakage immediately stopped happening.

Roy
I may of made the same mistake. I just fill my up. What do you mean by

"I never realized for so many years you turn the steering wheel till looking into the oil filler hole you can see the void for oil."
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

Thanks

I think it will be worthwhile upgrade.

So far just getting used to it. As the previous steering damper was totally shot
I am getting used to a new one there too !

So far so good !

Jeremy
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Neil,

Take off the oil filler nut and peer into the hole.If its not clear of any obstruction like a steel plate or mechanical item turn the steering wheel say 1/4 turn and peer into it again. If the hole has then no obstruction you are ready to fill with oil if not try another wheel movement till it is clear.

I was not clear on how much oil to be entered as at that time oil had escaped past the seals. So I made a hand suction pump with small diameter pipe to reach the bottom of the steering box and removed all the old SAE 80/90 gear oil. Then look in the book for the exact amount to put in! Do not just fill it to the top.

Since doing that the seals a few years ago the seals have stayed fine as has the oil inside.

The only reason why I experimented with turning the steering wheel was because I could find no easy way of draining the oil as the small diameter pipe needs clearance to go in and drop to the bottom of the box.

Roy

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

I would recommend Penrite Steering box lube. One of their most successful products.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..