Polopolus Engine in a 912

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

hot66

Re: Polopolus Engine in a 912

Post by hot66 »

but I might if I could .. because it isn't always about wether the head says its sensible or not. Usually its because you want to . So why bother moddifying any car when an MX5 or boxster could be bought for less than the mods cost.

Point being .. on a site like ddk where passion rules and sensible flies out the window, its a daft thing to say 'why build a 4 pot 911 engine for your 356 when you could buy a boxster instead :roll:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

This thread is pretty useless without pictures...

Emory Engine

Chris Pomares 912 Polo

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

hot66 wrote:but I might if I could .. because it isn't always about wether the head says its sensible or not. Usually its because you want to . So why bother moddifying any car when an MX5 or boxster could be bought for less than the mods cost.

Point being .. on a site like ddk where passion rules and sensible flies out the window, its a daft thing to say 'why build a 4 pot 911 engine for your 356 when you could buy a boxster instead :roll:
I think daft is bit strong James. Difference opinion is encouraged here?

PS lovely car above.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Fantastic pictures of the Emory engine that looks very interesting, I can't seem to post any pictures.

Im going over to California this summer to see Dean Polopolus and John Benton so might pop in to see Rod Emory as well as he's making 356 Outlaws converted to RHD and interested to see the set up. I will take lots of photos and learn to post them.

I bet one of the 356 Outlaws is telephone book money though :cry:
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

912Flyer wrote:Fantastic pictures of the Emory engine that looks very interesting, I can't seem to post any pictures.

Im going over to California this summer to see Dean Polopolus and John Benton so might pop in to see Rod Emory as well as he's making 356 Outlaws converted to RHD and interested to see the set up. I will take lots of photos and learn to post them.

You have to host the pictures elsewhere and paste a link or use the taptalk app.

Good luck Mr Benton seems like a super chap and very committed to 912s. I believe he pays (used to pay) for the 912 registry forum to be hosted?

Why not put http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/ on your list too? You can buy their crank/cam/pistons as a kit for a 2.1l and get it built here? If you google there is a very good paper on different engine configurations with real data from John. Will be similar to Emory in cost I guess.

If you are serious about a faster 616 engine another person to consider is Cliff Murray. Well know on the 356 Registry. I suspect because he is a one man place he maybe better value. Nearer to home I suspect Ian Clark would build something very good and you would only have to go to Lincoln?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

The polo and emory engines are amazing and both are things of beauty (if eye wateringly expensive!) but does anyone remember a guy named Russ Fellows who used to drag race beetles?

Years ago he designed and built his own 4 cylinder 911 engine for his bug which went on to produce some seriously impressive results on the strip. Be interesting to know how much that build cost and if he would be willing to produce another?

http://www.russfellowsfabrications.co.uk/racing.html

Below is the spec and for sale ad from 2006 when he decided his bug needed more power :lol:

2366 Turbo motor

2366 Turbo with Porsche overhead cam conversion
Nitrided crank
Brand new engine case that has been shuffle pinned
Raceware complete case and head stud kit
103mm J/e big bore kit
Porsche Carrera 2 heads with 49mm inlet and 43mm exhaust valves
Secondary oil pump for head oil supply
3" throttle body
Custom built plenum and chargecooler
Full stainless steel exhaust system
Turbosmart 48mm wastegate
Hybrid turbo with custom built compressor wheel
EFI fuel injection
The only thing not for sale is the Motec engine managment
400bhp on petrol and ove 400ft/lbs of torque
This engine has won 4 championships and 2 runner up spots and driven to every race meet. It is fully streetable, reliable and regularly used on the street in Russ Fellows Beetle

£4000
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Timo wrote:
Porsche Carrera 2 heads with 49mm inlet and 43mm exhaust valves

£4000
What a great engine but just wondering about that price? The heads alone are worth more than £4k?
hot66

Post by hot66 »

advert from 12 years ago Neil.

Loved watching that car run at the pod 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Timo

Post by Timo »

Yep, as per James comment it was a few years back now Neil, back when a good 964 could be had for about £10k (I seem to remember them being quite unloved at one stage) and parts were readily available on ebay etc for reasonably sensible money.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

912Flyer wrote:Fantastic pictures of the Emory engine that looks very interesting, I can't seem to post any pictures.

Your engine plans are awesome.
Totally excessive
Totally unnecessary
And absolutely the right thing to do Image
mycar

Post by mycar »

So, these fancy engines.... how much do we think they might cost ?

Not the turbo, we've discounted that one for now, I'm talking about the standard run of the mill, extraordinary, carb breathing version.

I'm thinking 40k ?

I'm actually thinking 50k.

I bet it's going to be 60k.

Plus shipping, installation, ancillaries and a possible upgrade to brakes required ?

Fitting an engine like this into a fancy 356 might make sense but a 912 ?.... It can only be a labour of love.
Timo

Post by Timo »

From a 2014 article on Chris pomares polo engined 912.

“The Porsche, having been finished about 2 years ago, is now for sale at Sloan Cars with an undisclosed price. You can bet that it won't be inexpensive with Polo engines costing somewhere north of $30,000 to assemble, but if you've always wanted a car that will "handle like a 912, and go like a 911", then you'll need to pick up this Porsche.”

I really don’t understand your comment about it being a labour of love to fit to a 912 though Mike. 912s are surely the best car to fit one to, better brakes, suspension etc than a 356.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
mycar

Post by mycar »

You're right, a 912 is mechanically a more practical proposition. I was thinking more from a getting your money back when you sell the car point of view.

Rod Emory and his peers have developed a market in the USA for trick 356s with fancy engines. Would a standard 912 stand that sort of investment in it's power plant ?
newto912
DDK addict

Post by newto912 »

quote - this thread is useless without pictures

what about the sound

video on this web page - does sound pretty nice

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/02/24/po ... sche-356a/

that 356 is a real sleeper

then there is the suspension/brakes upgrade and gearbox mods to handle the power and torque- all in all a very expensive upgrade, but if money were no object I would
1966 912 LHD
1980 911 SC Targa
1969 912 RHD in process of restoration
Timo

Post by Timo »

Mike, I hear what you’re saying on the Emory 356s, they are pretty special complete packages, but for me if I had the option of paying £150-£200k for a mint 911 2.4s or half that money for a 912 with a polo engine that produced the same performance but also had better weight distribution, I know which one I would choose.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan