NCB on multiple cars?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

NCB on multiple cars?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just had a renewal quote for my daily, a Skoda Superb Estate. It has gone up by 10%.
My Boxster is with another company, so I thought I would get an On-Line quote from the people who cover the Boxster.

Did that, nice clear simple system and the quote is nearly £100 cheaper or 30% off the current renewal quote.

However, the question of NCB had to be answered.

The company with the Boxster insurance say I can only claim my 9+ years NCB on one vehicle I own, no more unless I have 2 means of NCB (!)

Thus,
If I put the 9+ ncb against the Boxster, the more expensive car to run, and hence Zero ncb to the Skoda the cost of the Skoda is about the same as the renewal.
What puzzles me is it is ME who has the NCB not a car, so is it LAW that you must not use the NCB you have only on one car?

[/Seems there is no LAW about NCB, just the way an Insurer uses it.
It is simply a discount to get your business because you have been accident-free and are a good risk.

However, in the event of a claim, where do you stand if you have used ncb on 2 cars?i]
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: NCB on multiple cars?

Post by Ralph »

We have an Admiral multicar policy on 3 daily cars. 1 car is in wifes name and she gets full NCB, the other 2 are in my name but I only get full NCB on 1 car. I was told that you can only use NCB once and I am now accruing NCB on a second car. I too put the higher rate of NCB against the more expensive vehicle to insure (pick up truck).
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you.
I still cannot see why as the NCD is mine I can't use it multiple times each time with a different company.

In my instance, the current NCB stays with the Boxster and I start to build a ncb on the Skoda or a second car.
How all this can be proven and accrued seems complex esp as I could insure each car with different companies every year.
Things are rarely simple; it seems just a way for the industry to screw money again.

Best phone round and broach the ncb allocation with each. :roll:
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Yup, I’ve built up 2 NCB concurrently over many years, which can only be used once.

When Multi car policies appeared I resisted attempts to switch over as I had concerns that was later backed up by DDK experience (someone lost a NCB after switching to a multi policy and when they bought a car that wasn’t compatible with the multi they had to split and got a shock). I believe the market has matured now so that doesn’t happen (but still haven’t gone down that path).

On a side note.
I had two separate non fault incidents earlier this year, on one car each, within a short time scale. So 100% claimed on other parties insurance and no excess to pay or lost of my NCP.

When one policy renewed a month later, the premium increased 60%, as my risk profile has now changed. Annoyingly that can’t be claimed as a “consequential loss” against the 3rd party.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

All a bit of a racket imho.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Graham,
I have two vehicles on an LV policy and get maximum no claims on both?

I think it is when I go to the 3rd that that one is zero NCB.

Might be worth phoning around, yes you have earnt your NCB but insurance companies will find any way to get the maximum payment from you. Only issue is one will give you say a good price on the Skoda and clobber you for the Boxster, or vice versa

Ian
Last edited by Nine One One on Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That's interesting.
The Boxster is with LV, has been for 3 years.
The Skoda is currently with another.
Will call LV on Tuesday and see what can be done as a package.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nige

Post by Nige »

Can you put the Boxster on a classic policy that doesn't then require NCB?
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Good idea, but too young as it is a 59 plate.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

Once when speaking to my insurance broker he tried to sell me a protected NCB policy where I could have as many accidents as I wanted and I wouldn't lose my NCB. I said surely if I was unlucky and wrote off 3 cars next year you would take off my NCB. No he said,we would increase your quotation to £8000 but still give you your No claims discount. Don't you just love Insurance companies!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yep, protected NCB fee but it does not in any way protect your premium.
The more I've read about this today the more it is just one big game.

Regular customers given inflated renewals I've been given recently on house insurance cover, premium up by 36%. One call and it came down to last year's cost.
Race car cover (and it's trailer)? After 6 years loyalty my renewal went up by 27% to £380.

After a tip-off on a hill climb forum got the same cover with Hagerty for £137, so bought that. Saved £243. My Skoda renewal was close to that sum.
Current company said they hoped to quote me next year! Some chance.

Anyway, we will see what LV say on Tuesday.

I've owned the Skoda from new, 5 years now so 5 years ncb as no claims made?
I've owned the Boxster for 3 years so 3 years NCB as no claims made?

So...are those the ncb I can claim against the cars??

What a lark. :)
From what I can find, there is no legal precedent about the use of NCB when getting a quote other than the industry only asking you to use it once.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Yes, NCB/NCD is a complete lark. A thing given by one company's rules and accepted by another company's entirely different rules.

But as a general case you have a NCB as you accumulate it for each car you are the main driver of. You can only use it once. Unless the company taking it say otherwise. Complete madness.

I had a 5 car policy for many years that didn't have any NCD. When I thought it was expensive (at about £3200), I realised I would find it very hard to change as I had no NCD to take anywhere. Then one year they unilaterally assigned NCD to each of the cars. Totally weird. So I used it to swap around and went to another provider for £1100 :shock:

Madness.

Graham
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

There is no legal position on this game, it is just a written statement in the industry to make sure people with more than one car pay more.

So:
I have had my Skoda from new for 5 years, never had a claim so when I re-insure it in a few days time I and that car have 5 years NCB.
I have had my Boxster for nearly 3 years, insurance not yet due for a few months yet. The NCB I have accrued for my life is against that car as it is the most expensive to insure, but not by much.
On it's renewal I can claim just 3 years NCB.

Thus all the years I have (I thought) amount to nothing because NCB is set against a car earning the NCB, not me alone, it is 'me and the car' now.

If I sell the Skoda and the Boxster and buy 2 new cars I can transfer the years I have, against 2 cars, to the new ones and carry on even if the insurance is with different companies.
I will need to be able to prove these years if challenged, the NCB is usually stated on the renewal quote.

If I replace the 2 cars with one then I can put all the years against it.

Classic car insurance is so much simpler and not a rip-off.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9