drei fünf sechs - my build

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: drei fünf sechs - my build

Post by 356V »

Robneal wrote:Welcome on board...its a fun journey, but best bit of advice i can give is to make a list of all the parts you need now and get searching for them, particularly the door frames and the rear pop outq windows, they are the most difficult / expensive to find, and they dont make good repros yet. I have an excel spreadsheet with every part i have bought for mine, where i got it from and how much it cost, if you are interested then drop me a pm with your email address and i will happily send you a copy. Good luck and will follow avidly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Cheers! While at SC, I had quizzed Gary on costs and supply of a few bits... he mentioned your excel doc ;)

I will drop you a PM in a moment :)

Vincent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

greg356a wrote:Great to have another build on here, really looking forward to progress and pictures. Any question sure we will all endeavour to help. Dont forget your copy of the IVA manual :)

Do you have a final spec or goal you are aiming for? Classic, Recreation, Outlaw, 50's Race, Hotrod, Custom or ?
Thanks Greg! Mine will be a slow burner as it needs to fit around an ongoing house restoration. My final spec is still up in the air... Until around 4 weeks ago I was going to build a speedster!! But I just figured I would go for something more usable and, depending on how the build goes, I might build a speedster after... if I’m still sane of course!!

The IVA manual makes for a lovely read ;)

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Don’t do the cost bit of the spreadsheet. No one needs to see that!
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Gary71 wrote:Don’t do the cost bit of the spreadsheet. No one needs to see that! Image
The wife certainly doesn’t need to see it ImageImage

356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

So I was going to head up to Stoneleigh today and have a nose at some of the 356s, but in the end I decided I couldn’t be bothered with the drive... regretting it after seeing so many great photos on Facebook!. So I had a bit more time in the garage today instead.

Now finished the frame head, fitted the Napoleon’s hat (the outer 3rds only), the rear cross member and the drivers pan half.

I’ve decided to do the tried and tested chevron cut on the chassis, so figured I may as well fit the pans now and cut them with the chassis, rather than trying to get them to fit after it’s shortened.

If I get time, I will look to do the n/s pan and crossmember tomorrow.

356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Also, I’ve been starting to think about the spec of this thing and also the joys of the IVA...

On that note, does anyone know if there is a minimum fuel tank size requirement for IVA?

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

No minimum fuel tank size, but you cant have the filler under the bonnet, but mdmax on this forum has developed a through bonnet solution that is iva compliant.

356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

I wonder in theory if you could have the filler under the hood/engine compartment with a small 5L go kart tank mounted somewhere

I appreciate this is a stupid and dangerous idea for real life, but this would purely be for the IVA test only. And if is not listed as a no no, then it might allow me to skirt around the filler issue easily and cheaply.

Thanks for your spreadsheet by the way Rob, most helpful

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

no under the bonnet fillers allowed at all. this is what i did for mine, also now has an original in wing filler section from a 356 C that I am guessing is a project he may well add to the kit to help with IVA.Image

356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Yeah Gary had a plug ready for a wing based filler cap, I believe.

I was aware of the no filler cap in the front due to it being classed as a luggage area, but I was wondering about the engine compartment (purely for the IVA).

I will have a search on here to find the other solution you mentioned, I’m guessing it is the same one that I saw a while back using petrol resistant flexi trunking to link the filler neck to the cutout in the hood. I just want to be 100% sure I can get a pass for the filler issue, if not then it will be an “in wing” job Image

Bit more research required :)

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

mdmax on here is the one that has done all of rhe worl on getting the IVA compliant through the bonnet filler and makes a very nice looking GT fuel tank for it to fit on. Have a look on Chris Holdsworth blog for more details as he jas one on his car...
http://www.project-spartan.com/about/

356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Cheers, I will take a look :)