drei fünf sechs - my build

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

drei fünf sechs - my build

Post by 356V »

So, I thought I would start my own build thread...

And I am really at the very start! So many decisions still to be made and so many options it kind of makes my head spin at times, but it’s nice to see so many of you have already been there :) So no doubt I will be tapping into your experiences, to help mine!

So after a visit to Gary, I dropped my deposit on a coupe body... although still some decisions to be made on the specifics of that too!

So for now I’m focusing on the bits that are a given, the chassis work.

I bought a rolling chassis from eBay, which as always looked better in the photos than in real life! Once it arrived I give it the once over and realised it had been patched up a couple of times, with 1/4 pans put in etc, so i decided to replace both pan half panels.
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: drei fünf sechs - my build

Post by KS »

Welcome - but we need photos! :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Well that didn’t go to plan :lol: there was meant to be a bunch of photos and comments on that original post :roll:

I wonder if it’s because I’m trying to post from my phone?!
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hi, Sounds like a big project! Photos are dead easy from your photo if you use the Tapatalk app.
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Oh, my file sizes are too big :oops: this has got off to a cracking start :lol:

I’m away on holiday at the moment and thought I would just start this little thread while chilling out... I think I’m going to give up now until I’m back home on the laptop :lol:

Sorry for the false start, will update properly once home!
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Ah! Cheers Gary, I will check that out :)
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Now trying from Tapatalk!

Just starting the strip down,

Looks reasonably solid in the photos here, but as we all know, looks can be deceiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Once the pan halves were out, it became obvious the rot was well and truly into the napoleons hat

And the frame head base plate wasn’t looking too special either, so time to replace the base plate and naps hat - but with the naps hat I wanted to keep as much German metal as I could, so I’ve only removed the outer edges where the rot was. Image

Anyone that’s removed a frame head base plate has my sympathy, it is a pretty nasty job!

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Yup. Been there. It’s a grim job!
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Gary71 wrote:Yup. Been there. It’s a grim job!
It certainly is!

Once it was off it and I had descaled what I could, I hit the inside of the frame head with a bit of treatment.

But there was a bit of perforation on the lower front of the frame head, wire wheel and the grinder revealed that to be a reasonable amount of corrosion (joy)...

So I ended up plating it from the back and then plugging it from the front. The final outcome appears to be pretty damn solid, so I’m happy enough with that. Image

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Someone needs to make a decent repro of that area.
The ones that have are available have such a bad rep for fit that it’s easier to spend infinite hours fixing what you have. I had to do the inner flanges and remake the lower beam mounts on the front face from scratch as well.
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

New base plate was a shocking fit, even for a repro panel... Image

Anyway, after plenty of heat and dressing I finally made it resemble something half sensible and got it fitted... ignore my copious amounts of seam sealer (even where there is no seam lol), it’s just going to be a while before I can get around to properly protecting everything :)

And that is as far as I’ve got! Been away for Easter, back tomorrow but doubt I will get any time on it, then away again next weekend.

Need to find more hours in the day!

356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Gary71 wrote:Someone needs to make a decent repro of that area.
The ones that have are available have such a bad rep for fit that it’s easier to spend infinite hours fixing what you have. I had to do the inner flanges and remake the lower beam mounts on the front face from scratch as well.
Our posts crossed there! But yeah you are right, the fit of that panel was a shocker!!

I’ve (thankfully) avoided needing to deal with the beam mounts, I got to it all in the nick of time. I don’t envy you having to deal with all of that.

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Welcome on board...its a fun journey, but best bit of advice i can give is to make a list of all the parts you need now and get searching for them, particularly the door frames and the rear pop outq windows, they are the most difficult / expensive to find, and they dont make good repros yet. I have an excel spreadsheet with every part i have bought for mine, where i got it from and how much it cost, if you are interested then drop me a pm with your email address and i will happily send you a copy. Good luck and will follow avidly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Great to have another build on here, really looking forward to progress and pictures. Any question sure we will all endeavour to help. Dont forget your copy of the IVA manual :)

Do you have a final spec or goal you are aiming for? Classic, Recreation, Outlaw, 50's Race, Hotrod, Custom or ?
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica