1975 Carrera 2.7 MFI

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

1975 Carrera 2.7 MFI

Post by Tp81 »

I am hoping this will be a keeper.

Mike (210BHP) is partly to blame for this, Paul (Ferry Man) must also take some responsibility with his detailed thread on his stunning car - I have spent far too much time reading and pouring over the pictures.

This was a message from Mike last year that started me on the path. The car in question wasn't right but it started me reading and trying to understand more about this particular variant of the 911.

"Hi Tom

Probably very bad timing but I have to point out that you should sell the Targa and the turbo and buy this. A very rare car and a great colour"

The 74/75/76 Carrera 2.7 MFI is not often on Pistonheads but when they do come up for sale it just hasn't been right. I was very close at one point and had arranged the inspection of a car but the seller changed their mind at the last minute, at the time I was disappointed but equally wasn't in any hurry.

...........then this appeared for sale.

I assumed it would sell easily and drive off never to be seen again. I checked on the Sunday morning after the sale and noticed it was still available, the rest is history.

Seriously looking forward to getting to know this lovely car.
DDK#694
Ant22
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 1975 Carrera 2.7 MFI

Post by Ant22 »

Looks super! Goes without saying that you’ll enjoy ...
MY 73 2.4S
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Fantastic Tom, look forward to seeing it 8)

p.s. I blame Mike for pretty much everything :roll:
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Tom,
Congratulations! That's a proper car. From the pics (assuming it's the one from the recent auction) it looked good. Hope you enjoy it and post many of your excellent photos. Keeper? Not sure that's really your MO?!
Cheers, Richard.
CQuest8
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by CQuest8 »

That is stunning! Congratulations.

When are you collecting it?
1966 VW Splitscreen Camper RHD walk-thru (never selling!)

1984 3.2 RSR Replica (sold)
1975 911S 2.7 - fitted with a 3.0 SC engine (sold)
2003 996 Turbo (sold)
2007 997 Turbo (sold)
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Thanks Guys.

Richard, I do keep them on occasion.:oops:

The car arrived on Monday this week. It looks to be very, very good. The previous owner has compiled a comprehensive file of the history and work over the years, the details on the car are all pretty much perfect. I assume this is common to us all, when the car was loaded onto the covered trailer for shipping the driver's side window failed, no matter what car I buy something always goes wrong. In all honesty, I don't mind the faults when they come in a controlled manner. I now know the window won't fail when I am half way around the North of Scotland. It also has a small oil leak that looks to be coming from the crankshaft seal, getting sorted next week.

Motor burned out from a bare wire.

Door internals nice and clean with a good coating of waxoil.

I took the opportunity to check the car over with my local independent George Morrison, think the only thing he found wrong was a washer missing from the earth strap, non porsche fan belt and a Mahle Oil filter. Delighted with the condition underneath, it is so fresh.

DDK#694
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

DDK#694
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Lovely........
Looks fabulous Tom.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Thanks Mike.

I have only had one drive so far, was surprised at how short the travel was on the accelerator, and then conversely how long the travel on the brake pedal was, loved the feel and the sound, strong pull from the engine. George is saying the accelerator is opening fully perhaps a fraction of adjustment but says the short travel is typical of the car. The brakes have slight dead spot that can be also adjusted to bring both into balance. It is also a completely new car to me so getting used to the feel will come in time. Stepping from my hybrid with an overly long travel on the throttle makes any car feel short.

Some of the paperwork in the file is brilliant. I intend sending a note to the past owner congratulating them on keeping and maintaining the car and records in such good condition. :) Hopefully, they will be pleased to know it will be getting more of the same along with some proper miles. Looking back at the MOT history in 2007 it had covered 57409 miles and then every year since very little added, currently sitting at 61,200 approximately. Fully intend to change this.

Only 20 coupes imported into the UK in 1975 and these were the last vehicles to use the MFI :shock:

I am also going to put some new registration plates onto the car, can anyone recommend a good supplier for vintage plates? There are a few online but just in case there is one know to be better quality than others. The current plates have seen better days, looks like the silver numbers have melted behind the plate. :?

DDK#694
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

It’s great that it has come ‘home’. Glen Henderson in Ayr supplied many very rare pre-impact bumper cars including the only 73 RS ever registered in Scotland. I wonder if your’s was the only 2.7 MFI Carrera ever registered in Scotland Tom? There could have been one in 74. I wrote and called at Glen Henderson’s many years ago, maybe 20, to see if they had any Porsche ‘stuff’ or records but alas not. I actually used to bump into Glen Henderson himself occasionally at Wildings restaurant but by then his garage was selling Mercedes and Mazda. It still operating today but Mr Henderson recently passed away.

Ther were no 76 Carreras in the UK so yours could be the only Scottish delivered car. Pity I didn’t still own the Scottish 73RS or we could have been the complete Scottish RS owners club between us.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

What a lovely car Tom, great purchase. Look forward to hearing more about it.
The force is strong in this one ......
Guy
Married to the DDK

Post by Guy »

210bhp wrote:It’s great that it has come ‘home’. Glen Henderson in Ayr supplied many very rare pre-impact bumper cars including the only 73 RS ever registered in Scotland. I wonder if your’s was the only 2.7 MFI Carrera ever registered in Scotland Tom? There could have been one in 74. I wrote and called at Glen Henderson’s many years ago, maybe 20, to see if they had any Porsche ‘stuff’ or records but alas not. I actually used to bump into Glen Henderson himself occasionally at Wildings restaurant but by then his garage was selling Mercedes and Mazda. It still operating today but Mr Henderson recently passed away.

Ther were no 76 Carreras in the UK so yours could be the only Scottish delivered car. Pity I didn’t still own the Scottish 73RS or we could have been the complete Scottish RS owners club between us.

Regards
Mike

There was a 1974 coupe with the same 'SD' registration area so presumably also supplied by Glen Henderson, Ayr.

There was also a '74 with a 'CS' registration which I presume is also a Scottish registration district.
1977 Carrera 3.0
1974 Carrera 2.7 in bits.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Hi Guy

SD and CS are the old Ayrshire registrations. My73 RS was OSD xxxx
The first car I ever bought with my own hard earned cash was an Astra GTE reg. Number TCS 7Y.
What a great car. The old box shape was good on the eye too. Wish I still had that motor.

I take it the 74 car was not a Carrera ?

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

My wife is out at a charity night, perfect opportunity to look through the files.

Every MOT back to 1981 :)

DDK#694
Guy
Married to the DDK

Post by Guy »

210bhp wrote:Hi Guy

SD and CS are the old Ayrshire registrations. My73 RS was OSD xxxx
The first car I ever bought with my own hard earned cash was an Astra GTE reg. Number TCS 7Y.
What a great car. The old box shape was good on the eye too. Wish I still had that motor.

I take it the 74 car was not a Carrera ?

Regards
Mike
Both cars are 1974 Carrera 2.7 coupes, there is also a 1975 Carrera Targa (one of six UK delivered) with a 'CS' registration.
1977 Carrera 3.0
1974 Carrera 2.7 in bits.