Three Five Six - Ideas in Motion

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Three Five Six - Ideas in Motion

Post by AccidentalGenius »

Good morning all,

I have been a member of this forum for several years but in that time i have been silent, or even absent, more often than I have been present.

Late last year, while visiting SpeedsterClinic, I bumped in to Rob who has a blog on here (Burnt Pig) and it reminded me that I am not doing this alone. Even with that brief meet up I gained a lot of value from Rob (and hope I shared some back) and I thought that I too should share as much as I can for the benefit of others.

By way of reminder, or introduction if you have not met me, I thought I would kick off with some progress images over the last year.

I am more than happy for people to share their thoughts and opinions on the things I am (or am not) doing. I am not a purist, as you will see below, and I am trying to do 'my thing' with this car albeit I am not 100% sure I know what my thing is even now.

Anyway - enough talking, here are some images from about 12-months ago.

As you can see, I kicked things off VERY LOW and on wheels that were too small and tyres that were far too tiny. Although I love the BRM wheel, and think they look good on this car, this particular setup is not right. As you will see from later images this will change although I am still not happy with the look - this however is an update in itself!
Pre-a 356 Coupe (Speedster Clinic Replica)
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Re: Three Five Six - Ideas in Motion

As you will all have to do at some point, I had to make some pretty serious decisions about the IVA. I knew I was building this car to be able to pass the IVA but there are different approaches to achieve this. I decided to try and embrace the standard and to build the requirements in to my car with a view to keeping them post IVA, not changing them after.

There are a few key visual impacts of this decision;
1) reverse and fog lights
2) fuel filler
3) side repeaters

I spent days, weeks, months of my time looking at images online, reading the IVA standard and making decisions about how I wanted to tackle this. During my research I came across the Porsche 550 lights and immediately loved them - as I am keen to create something different I decided to use these lights as my reverse and fog lights for a permanent solution - not just to pass the test.

The fuel filler has always been a big decision. I had looked at the 'hack' that can allow for a though-the-bonnet design but decided this was not the right solutions for me and my car. Partly this was down to cost, partly down to aesthetics. I looked at aftermarket options but felt the look was too jarring (the metal against paint). eventually I decided to go for a custom in-wing fuel filler flap, again with a view to retain this after the IVA.

The side repeaters are, for me, the most annoying part. I have bought a pair of IVA compliant side repeaters but they were not installed at the point I took the below photos. Even now I am expecting to remove these after the IVA... but we will see.

As mentioned previously my original wheel choice simply wasn't right for the car. I had suggested to Gary at SpeedsterClinic that I would replace them with 17" versions but he very strongly advised me not to go above 16" wheels. As there are very few wheels I can find in the 5X205 fitment at 16" that I actually like I really had I dilemma. I made some enquiries in to a set of custom wheels which would be interesting to me but they are rather expensive. I turned my attention to a more original steel wheel design and eventually found these wheels in the US in a 16" X 5.5". With a nice chunky tyre I am happy for now but I fear this contentment will not last!!!

My other design choices include front indicators without horn grills for a cleaner look, vents on both rear wings for added airflow in to the engine bay but really more for the look than the functionality and finally the 50's style racing wing mirrors. I will cover off interior thoughts and decisions in a separate update.

Here is a more up-to-date view of the car with the new wheels and lights in place. I am keen to hear any opinions on my choices, including the rather controversial fog/reverse lights!!!

hot66

Post by hot66 »

I'm liking that a lot .. the rear light set up looks good to me .. reminds of the rear lights rally cars used to have added
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Thanks James. As the title of this post suggests I am still unsure as to the end look which makes every decision very difficult. In an ideal world I would have decided on a particular look at the start! The only thing I really know is that I don't want to follow the norm - and I want to make the most of the fact that I could/would never do this to a REAL 356 pre a!
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Looking really good and always good to see different approaches to the IVA
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Looking good so far. I’ve seen this car at Gary’s. Is this Adam’s Car? Nice to see another build thread being generated.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

Great to see your car. Along with you and Rob, i have the initial pre A that Gary produced. I wonder how many pre A’s he has sold now.

Are you having the car built at Garys. What stage is he taking it too.

Is the suspension on air, it was seriously low in the early pics, but even then your camber wasnt crazy at the back, is it irs

I’m not going to say i didnt raise an eyebrow on seeing the rear lights!, but now you have explained the 550 connection, it makes complete sense and as james said above i can see some period rally guy doing the same thing.

Cool car. Any plans for interior, dash etc
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

8) ...Will enjoy watching this develop

Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

mdmax72 wrote:Looking good so far. I’ve seen this car at Gary’s. Is this Adam’s Car? Nice to see another build thread being generated.
Hi Rich, yes this is Adam.
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Richardab1967 wrote:Great to see your car. Along with you and Rob, i have the initial pre A that Gary produced. I wonder how many pre A’s he has sold now.

Are you having the car built at Garys. What stage is he taking it too.

Is the suspension on air, it was seriously low in the early pics, but even then your camber wasnt crazy at the back, is it irs

I’m not going to say i didnt raise an eyebrow on seeing the rear lights!, but now you have explained the 550 connection, it makes complete sense and as james said above i can see some period rally guy doing the same thing.

Cool car. Any plans for interior, dash etc
I am not sure how many Gary has sold - would be interesting to know.

Yes Gary and Anthony are building the car for me as I am not mechanically minded at all. With that in mind they are taking it as far as possible. Engine is yet to be built but likely to be done by Limebug (they reconditioned my gearbox already) - just trying to decide if I should put Panchito Heads on it or not?!?!

No its not IRS... but I can see why you ask, the back looks ok I think.

I will do a separate post for the dash so I can explain it properly... watch this space!
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

OK so I will try and explain my dashboard for you - its not easy! (interior trim is yet to be decided so I will get to that another day).

I want the dash to be super clean looking so I have had the ashtray removed to help with this look.

I of course have the speedo and rev counter in the usual spot but everything else will be centrally mounted. I am building an IVA version and then a POST-IVA version of this as I feel it is easier to do this twice than compromise on my design idea.

*IVA VERSION*
I am going to utilise the original radio opening in the centre of the dash to house oil and fuel dials, and below them there will be a row of IVA switches ie. lights, wipers, wash, hazards, desist, fog and then below these switches there will be a further row of indicator lights covering the minimum essentials for IVA such as lights, indicators, brake warning, fog etc.

*POST IVA VERSION*
This version will see the original radio opening in the centre of the dash house oil pressure and temp, fuel and volts (4 dials in total) in a 2X2 grid layout.

Then below the bulbous section of the dash, right on the corner as it sweeps back towards the front of the car (ahead of the gearstick), I will mount the required switches (as per above) with the relevant indicator lights directly above so you can see if each switch is on or off.

I realise this is perhaps difficult to visualise but the end result will be one of a dashboard that has 4 small dials in the centre and then a speedo and rev ahead of the sterling wheel and pretty much everything else would be all but out of sight.

Gary has already made the panel required to fit in the original radio opening in the centre of the dash for everything to be mounted to so when I next visit I will try and get a picture and share it. If anyone else goes before me see if you can take a pic!

My current plan is to upholster this panel in the dash to match the seats / door cards but we will see how I feel about that when we get to that stage.

Im sure this description has led to more questions than answers!!!
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

In terms of IVA these are my notes for the most minimal dash controls / tell-tales...

Controls -
Indicator selector (left / right) - On stalk
Lights (main beam) on/off - On stalk
Lights (side) off/ on
Light (hazard) off/ on
Lights (fog - rear) off/ on
Lights (fog - front) Not Required
Windscreen Wiper off/ on/ on
Windscreen wash off/ momentary
Windscreen de-mist off/ on

Tell Tales -
Indicator selector (left) - GREEN
Indicator selector (right) - GREEN
Lights (dipped beam) - GREEN
Lights (main beam) - BLUE
Lights (fog - rear) - YELLOW
Lights (hazard) - GREEN
Lights (fog - front) - Not Required
Windscreen de-mist - YELLOW
Handbrake Warning - RED
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

Yup, i get that idea. Sounds great. For me the pre A dash is as cool a thing as the bent screen.

Yeah it is a nightmare planning for both iva and then post iva, i have had to do it in a number of areas and it requires thinking everything through for two scenarios. Quite a pain. I am wiring my dash at the moment and although my pre and post iva dash is only subtly different (i’m moving switches from behind exempt steering wheel zone to below the ashtray), it means making sure the wiring is long enough to be able to do the move later.
AccidentalGenius wrote:OK so I will try and explain my dashboard for you - its not easy! (interior trim is yet to be decided so I will get to that another day).

I want the dash to be super clean looking so I have had the ashtray removed to help with this look.

I of course have the speedo and rev counter in the usual spot but everything else will be centrally mounted. I am building an IVA version and then a POST-IVA version of this as I feel it is easier to do this twice than compromise on my design idea.

*IVA VERSION*
I am going to utilise the original radio opening in the centre of the dash to house oil and fuel dials, and below them there will be a row of IVA switches ie. lights, wipers, wash, hazards, desist, fog and then below these switches there will be a further row of indicator lights covering the minimum essentials for IVA such as lights, indicators, brake warning, fog etc.

*POST IVA VERSION*
This version will see the original radio opening in the centre of the dash house oil pressure and temp, fuel and volts (4 dials in total) in a 2X2 grid layout.

Then below the bulbous section of the dash, right on the corner as it sweeps back towards the front of the car (ahead of the gearstick), I will mount the required switches (as per above) with the relevant indicator lights directly above so you can see if each switch is on or off.

I realise this is perhaps difficult to visualise but the end result will be one of a dashboard that has 4 small dials in the centre and then a speedo and rev ahead of the sterling wheel and pretty much everything else would be all but out of sight.

Gary has already made the panel required to fit in the original radio opening in the centre of the dash for everything to be mounted to so when I next visit I will try and get a picture and share it. If anyone else goes before me see if you can take a pic!

My current plan is to upholster this panel in the dash to match the seats / door cards but we will see how I feel about that when we get to that stage.

Im sure this description has led to more questions than answers!!!
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Hi Adam,
Glad to see you have started a blog, there is real interest in the community on how people have different approaches to the IVA, and really all aspects of the build I love all the touches on your car and am up at Garys next week so will take some photos of the dash mount as i did see it last time I was up there, it looks cool, also i have seen gauges mounted o the centre panel in a real one somewhere on the internet, and it looks really good.
Keep the details coming
Cheers Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Thank you all for your comments.

Richard - I am doing the same thing with the length of the cables behind the dash. They are all a bit oversized so they work for both the IVA and POST-IVA setup. Like Rob, some of the dials and switchgear will be relocated after IVA and some will not be installed at all until the IVA is complete.

Rob - You are a star, if you can get a more up-to-date shot of the dashboard (or any part of the car) that would be great.

With regards to the engine, I am keeping it pretty simple. I am putting a type1 engine in albeit with a few upgrades from standard. My list of key components is as follows;

AutoLinea Supercase
CB Forged 69mm Crank
Scat 5.4" I-Beam Rods
Mahle Forged 90.5 P/C
Empi Lightened Flywheel
Scat C35 Cam
Empi 40mm Twin Carbs
Sidewinder Exhaust

So this is a 1776 engine in a pretty straightforward configuration - nothing particularly special here. I am hoping for a nice usable and reliable vehicle but as I have never really driven an air-cooled car I am unsure as to quite what this setup will feel like - will be interesting.

The main part missing from the above list is the Cylinder Heads. As mentioned previously I am in two minds as to whether I should have my current AA Performance heads gas flowed and machined or if I should just get a set of Panchitos. If you have any comments, advice or experience in this feel free to share. I expect I will just go for the Panchitos because I don't feel confident with the other route... what to ask for... who to do it... how do I know if they have done a good job...

I have beat myself up for months about putting a Porsche cooling fan setup on the engine but have more recently decided that it is form over function and as much as I love the appearance I am led to believe it will over-cool the engine and cause more problems than it is worth - it is also crazy expensive, so standard tinwear it is!

I am therefor going to order my tinwear this weekend with a view to getting it painted in the next couple of weeks and then the whole thing sent of to be built immediately after. I was planning on getting Limebug to build the engine but if anyone has any other suggestions again please shout, I have very little experience or contacts in this space, I just need to make sure that whoever builds the engine can supply the relevant engine maps etc required for the IVA inspection.