50 years driving my 356A (part 1 )

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

50 years driving my 356A (part 1 )

Post by roy mawbey »

In answer to a request I thought I would put in writing with photos an account of my time with the 1959 Porsche 356A Super I purchased now 50 years ago. You can define that in a simple paragraph or two with half a dozen photo's, but that does not paint a picture. I also have never wanted to bore the pants off people so have decided to make this ' part one ' the text and later ' part two ' a few photos.

Over the years on forums I have explained sometimes how and why I purchased my RHD Meissen blue and red 356. Enough to say I lived near Isleworth and Frazer Nash Cars (AFN ) and my school in the 1950's was 10 minutes or so walk from their show room. So I saw 356 cars from the mid 50's till I left in 1958. My brother worked there as well as two other friends. My 59 car was ordered by AFN on the factory and delivered to Jack Bartlett in London a guy who also sold sports cars. He sold it to Elizabeth Pugh who was the daughter of a Baronet and she was only in her early 20's. In turn she sold the car a short while later to Denis Hopkinson who sent me pictures of the car from 1961. In 1964 it was sold to Tom Burke a pilot flying with British Caladonian. He kept it till I purchased it in 1969.

Tom had the car regularly serviced by AFN and the original engine failed at 110.000 miles shortly after he bought it. AFN under guarantee made a total recondition of the engine using the original crankcases ( the car is fully matching numbers ) and therefore since 1964 has never been apart since. I think in 1964 it was George Sneath who did that work. I have never apart from MOT's taken my car anywhere for work, decided from the start I would do all the work required myself. The engine apart from me changing from the early diaphragm clutch to the previous spring plate version and of course all the service work its been reliable as has the 716 gearbox. Slow cranking annoyed me for a long time till after getting everything perfect it needed an overhaul or the points cleaned on the starter solinoid. That starter was checked and now works as new. One job I could not do for sure.

In 50 years a number of things have failed like the petcock fuel tap, the brake system needing new pipes and hydraulic hoses, New shocks, exhaust systems and the front seat vinyl area you sit on replaced with new. Actually, there are many items all listed in my two service books which record every job I have done. The Zeniths kits , the fuel pump kit, the new coil, the list goes on and on.
But overall its been reliable even more so since over 40 years ago I spent a year or more welding, leading and spraying the exterior. The interior is original except for the rubber mats that were never perfect for the RHD version. I bought new ones from International Mercantile in the States and had them delivered uncut for pedals. I have re-sprayed the car again 30 years ago and that last time I hired the required spray gear, large receiver etc. It was finished in cellulose not 2 pack.

Now this just gives an idea on what was going on since I bought it. I think I will stop here and make part one continue further till the photo section.

PLEASE tell me if I am really going on too much it will not offend me, you can't put down 50 years of ownership in 30 minutes.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Ashley James

Re: 50 years driving my 356A (part 1 )

Post by Ashley James »

I’m very interested Roy, having only recently discovered how nice 356s are.
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Looking forward to your 50 year account Roy :)
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Don't us spare any details Roy.

I was wondering how old you were when you bought the car and what cars (if any) your contemporaries would be driving at that time ?

Were you a married man Roy... or out to impress the girls with a fancy foreign sportscar ? :P
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

50 years ago I had my first ride in my dad’s 356A, I’ve been hooked ever since then, just never had the coin to get a 356 beside the 911. So take as long as you like :)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

50 years, that is a long time, and will surely take in a lot of life's experiences.

Hope to have a good account of such a time span!

I'm at 30 years in March and was thinking of doing a (short) story of '30 years with the same 911', maybe not now!

:)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Thanks for starting this (long overdue) thread Roy.

Looking forward to further posts/pictures...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

This is going to be great - looking forward to it Roy :cheers:
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

WOW 50 years. Then it was just me and Neil Armstrong. I didn't see my first Porsche in the flesh until the early 70's. This year it will be 15 years with my 911 and that feels like a lifetime. Looking forward to more. Just love DDK!
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
sladey

Post by sladey »

Yep really interested to hear your story Roy
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
roy mawbey

Re: 50 years driving my 356A (part 1 continued)

Post by roy mawbey »

Well guys, seeing the interest I will of course continue:

In the late 50's I was into motorcycles and serving an apprenticeship as a toolmaker in Isleworth again near AFN. I ended up in the early 60's confident enough to fully restore a 1954 featherbed Norton. I loved engineering and still do, eventually ending up selling Swiss machine tools of various makes over here as their representative. I retired in 2007. It came as no surprise to me a 356 might appear on the scene, By 1966 I was driving cars starting in 63 with a minivan, then a 105E Ford Anglia. One of my friends had a 356 engined Beetle I liked that car! then in late 66 my Brother who had left AFN and was selling cars in Acton had the chance to purchase a trade in. For £110- he became the owner of a 1951 split screen 356. The car had been converted to RHD, had the drums replaced by ATE discs ( never really worked as they should have ) but engine and VW type crash box original. The first time I saw the car was on a visit in early 1967 with my wife to see my parents. The devil had parked it outside the house and when I asked he just smiled and then took me for a run out in it I just knew I had to have one!

So I started looking in 1968. I started low at around £150- for an A. Discounted B or C models all too expensive. In 6 months of looking I knew all about rust. I saw cars so badly botched up it was a wonder they had not folded up in two. Most were around 12 or 13 years old needing so much work. I was then left some money after my grandmother passed and it allowed me to spend then around £400- This opened up the market for me and late in 68 agreed to buy my 356A from Tom Burke I mentioned in part 1. I paid a deposit after seeing the car with my dad. We had to push it to start as Tom had not used it for a while! As a pilot he had a flat in Windsor ( for Heathrow ) and a house in Rottingdean near Brighton. Early in the new year I picked up the car and paid the £440- and drove the car back to Worthing where we lived then.

The car is so original but rust still had got to it in places. By the mid 70's although always garaged I started the cutting out and gas welding. As I had to build my own garage I included a long deep pit
to gain access to the underneath of my car. Now that really helped with the car tipped at a crazy angle it made it more possible to achieve what I wanted. My gas welding gear included full size bottles and and extension hoses. I still have the original torch but the rest is long gone. I never included that on any house insurance particulars ! So easy to burn something you didn't want to burn.

The worst job I attempted was the drivers door outer skin. I cut off the bottom 8 inches or so and fabricated myself the new section. All of the parts I fabricated I made myself for the car. I had the use of factory tooling to help. But this door repair skin so perfect and matching the top section was the most difficult weld ever for me. Following all rules I got distortion and although with time and lead it still looks great after 40 odd years it actually made me cry at the time !!

The area's around the car I welded are fully detailed in my service repair books. I still have it 90% original metal underneath even the still working jacking points although I strengthened them.

When I look at way prices have gone regarding our 356 cars in the past 50 years its amazing. My car in 1959 new was a little over £2,000- actually a lot of money then. After ten years when I bought it, it was down to £440- and it was a good car. I saw other 1959 cars then for £200- When I see now cars that would then just have been scrapped and now are being rebuilt it makes you wonder.

My eldest son is now 50 years old he arrived one month before I brought my car home. We have 3 sons all who have grown up with me driving and working on my 356. I know they like me having the car for this amount of time but they all seem to like the modern cars?

I like wind down windows, drum brakes, simple heater, one speed wipers, distributors, getting 6volts to work great, valve radio and original Sigla windscreen everyone who has driven this car has looked out of. These days its driven twice a week or so, never really very far, Had the ignition switch fail a short time ago replaced it with identical copy and Porsche keys. Could not take the chance of that failing miles from home. Likewise the windscreen wiper blades broke on the pivot a plastic bush split after 60 years. Bought 2 new wiper blades with modified rubber pivot inserts. We are lucky to have some good 356 spare parts suppliers. Thank goodness it has no ECU !!

Part 3 my photos to follow soon!

Roy
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Excellent.

As an avid service record keeper, have you also kept a tally of your costs over the years?

More please!
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Mike

Post by Mike »

Great story and thanks for sharing, but definitely in need of pictures....
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Great story Roy !

I've now had a question answered regarding your car - I worked in Isleworth from '69-'76 (at the Unilever Research Labs in London Rd more or less opposite AFN) & had wondered why I didn't remember seeing it driving around back then but it seems you had moved to Worthing by then ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Yes Andy moved to Worthing when I got married in !967. And in answer to the other question above I have recorded all the costs with invoices for the work I have carried out since 1969. Total is still under £5,000. I might well photo a few pages of my accounts.

Roy