Seinfeld sued over fake Porsche sale

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

yoda
I need to get out more!

Seinfeld sued over fake Porsche sale

Post by yoda »

Anyone know the details? Presume the issue is around provenance etc?
The force is strong in this one ......
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Seinfeld sued over fake Porsche sale

Post by Nige »

lol has he been pesto'd?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I don't think anyone actually knows - a company that nobody's ever heard of based in Jersey (Channel Islands), acting on behalf of the buyer, claim that the car is 'inauthentic' but, as far as I'm aware, they haven't stated in what way.

The car was at the Dana Point Concours (where it scored 298.6 out of 300) & the Quail Motorsports Gathering in Carmel - both of which have some of the most knowledgeable Porsche collectors in the world at them & nobody queried anything about the car.

Many people (me included) think it's a 'try on' ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
targa/red
DDK slapper chatter

Post by targa/red »

It said in the Times this morning that Maxed Page had confirmed the vehicle was not authentic
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Was it the fibreglass body that gave it away?
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

targa/red wrote:It said in the Times this morning that Maxed Page had confirmed the vehicle was not authentic

They also said the pesto car was real didn’t they?

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

I believe it was sold through gooding and co at Amelie Island for 1. Something mill dollars, apparently it turned out be an early vin plate on a newer chassis.

My understanding is he offered a refund, anyway as it went under the hammer I would have thought initially it’s down to Gooding.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

210bhp wrote:
targa/red wrote:It said in the Times this morning that Maxed Page had confirmed the vehicle was not authentic

Regards
Mike
:lol: I think they’ll tell you whatever you want to hear for the right amount!
davidoft
DDK above all

Post by davidoft »

Looks like this was 3 years ago, he offered a refund if they can show the cars not authentic (as seinfelts team could not find any such info ) and return the car they instead have gone to sue rather than sort it sensibly, no doubt it will cost lots of time and money and turn out to be a bogus claim
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

210bhp wrote:

Regards
Mike
Is the pesto car "expert's" report now in the public domain? Always intrigued to read what that report actually said. Lots of conjecture but would ideally like to read for myself what was actually written. Someone here must know if /where such old legal case information is filed away / legally available to folks who are generally interested in such rulings. Specifics of findings from the British RS "expert's" research, inspections and testimony in that UK legal case were not shared in countless posts afaik.

Maybe too soon to expect full details of why car is being questioned for the current ongoing case being reported in today's newspapers but would imagine the full details of old case about pesto's former car are now available?
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

I used to have a copy of the Pesto report written by MP - it was very interesting and as bad as everyone makes out. They very clearly stated it was the real thing. I am sure it was posted on early911s at some point but you might have to trawl the many pages on that thread to find it.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Lightweight_911 wrote:I don't think anyone actually knows - a company that nobody's ever heard of based in Jersey (Channel Islands), acting on behalf of the buyer, claim that the car is 'inauthentic' but, as far as I'm aware, they haven't stated in what way.

The car was at the Dana Point Concours (where it scored 298.6 out of 300) & the Quail Motorsports Gathering in Carmel - both of which have some of the most knowledgeable Porsche collectors in the world at them & nobody queried anything about the car.

Many people (me included) think it's a 'try on' ...

The discussion on the 356 registry seemed to be heading that way too.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
964RS

Post by 964RS »

He's a high profile individual that they probably think won't want the bad press. But the money to him is an irrelevance at this level so I suspect he's not that bothered and I'm sure he will have offered a refund as stated...
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

Are you sure as I went though it and have looked?

Don't believe the pesto "expert" report per se was/is on pelican or esr. There is a letter published by a.n.other purporting to be from the person who was the "expert" at that trial confirming their "expert" role but unless I've missed it not the actual content of their report. In fact other than standing by the findings that letter refused to share their findings. Afaik the " expert" didn't post directly.

As in this current case there was lots of speculation and opinion but it is photos and findings about the car itself and its history file (assuming "expert" remarks were on the car not some commercial transaction or other legal matter) that is likley the concrete and interesting data point to a forum such as this where interest is the car.

I remain keen on seeing it if it is available otherwise much was noise on the entertaining pesto car threads as is likley the case here unless any alleged issues with car and or its history become clear and are verifiable in public domain.

I might of missed it in the large volume of pesto posts of course but don't think so as to me that report from someone with access to the car and its history file was the important data point beyond what purported to be from Porsche in the convoluted yarn.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

yoda wrote:I used to have a copy of the Pesto report written by MP - it was very interesting and as bad as everyone makes out. They very clearly stated it was the real thing. I am sure it was posted on early911s at some point but you might have to trawl the many pages on that thread to find it.
It was a jolly good saga, I wonder where the car is now! I didn't see the report, but always wondered whether it didn't really pronounce on whether it was actually real or not, or just whether the sellers specific claims amounted to mis-representation which is what the buyer I think was suing for.

I too would love to see it just for curiosity sake!

Graham