Amplifier Experts?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Amplifier Experts?

Post by Bruce M »

A bit off piste but I volunteered to fix this on Sunday and had it stripped down in no time.

I found it interesting that it was designed to be serviceable! The ribbon cables attach to a locking socket rather than direct solder. A new drive belt & set of capacitors should have it back to good.

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

richkaz wrote:Anyone bought expensive HiFi cables recently ?

MONSTER CABLE V A COAT HANGER

https://gizmodo.com/audiophile-deathmat ... ger-363154
Very interesting. I've sorted my problem. The bridges between the pre amp and main amp had been dirty/attached/something. I tried cables and all worked well then I cleaned the bridges (which are thicker coat handers) and put them back in.

Listened to Yo Yo Ma playing Bach 6 Cello suite. It's one of those universal albums that transcends genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnUVrMgsRFA

I've loved it since I heard it performed at the Wigmore Hall 20 years ago? (unfortunately not Yo Yo)
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Well I have success! My amp works (first time!)and makes a very nice noise. It's very round and bassy and I really like it. I may have made a bit of a cockup though with the heat! I made my own case rather than buying the case that was available with the kit. I just guessed the size. As you can see from the pic, it all looks ok. But being class A it kicks out a huge amount of heat and my heatsinks are smaller than those in the official kit. I've only used it for short periods and it gets proper hot. A max of about 50 degrees is recommended, but I think I am going above that. I've got an IR temp gun coming to be sure. I've got about 2/3rds the area of the ones in the standard kit which are the same height, but 8" long not 6".

Unfortunately it means a lot of rework, but hey ho!

You can also see "chinese box amp", the Class D cheapo kit in the background with the original early 2000s Slimp3 streamer as well.

ImageIMG_20190205_212729 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

Great to see people still making such stuff Graham. Making me nostiagic -- back to growing up!

Use it to also boil water to make a cup of tea then kick back enjoy your handiwork and a nice brew :)

Cheers

Steve
Last edited by 911MRP on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Ah that's the answer. Water cooling, use it to supplement the central heating boiler!
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

Maybe but wouldn't shout about water-cooling on ddk ;)
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Amplifier Experts?

Post by impmad2000 »

The heat sinks work a lot better if oriented with the fins vertical. Might help a little.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Ah yes, that's a good idea Tim! I'm expecting to get new ones I'll look for vertical fins.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I'm dim where are the heat sinks in the photo?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
hot66

Post by hot66 »

outside edges of the case
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Here you can see them better before it was built up. The heatsinks form the sides. I've got bigger heatsinks coming with vertical fins. Means I'll have to remake the top and bottom as well, but hey ho.

Then I can start on the speakers!

ImageIMG_20190101_151705 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Now the amp/received in the other house has stopping working. I'm not sure I'm going to open that one up because it's always been a bit rubbish and probably better to start again.

I must admit that Ashley has got me thinking about the CD v Vinyl debate again. I've been listening to more CD because I can't quite similar to get the vinyl's clean enough for a good noise. Anyway last night I was went to a performance of Cosi Fan Tutte in Goodenough House in London http://www.goodenough.ac.uk/about-us/ne ... -fan-tutte. Mostly done by students but still a good production. I do wish the Opera was just a bit shorter. I struggle to sit still for the last 90 mins and I wasn't the only one. Back to point. I've bought a CD and Vinyl recording (unfortunately I couldn't get the same recording) but will report back on which I prefer.
Last edited by neilbardsley on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

With Classical music, opera especially, record players are absolutely dreadful. They mistrack on the vocals, congest on complex orchestral passages and deteriorate toward the end/Centre.

I sold my Thorens in 1987 and we stopped making CD players in 2006. Since then I’ve imported all my CDs, used Apple Match and bought downloads.

I just select the track I want on my phone and tell my ATV or Airport Express to play it to my active speakers.

No clutter and absolute clarity and naturalness. Or I use HD800s.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

But they do Jimi Hendrix extremely well!

Peter Gabriel tells that his album "So" had to have the track order changed to move the final track "In Your Eyes" as it had too much bass for the end of the album (near the middle).

As an aside, just been reading about re-issues of albums on 45rpm. That's strange!

Graham
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Just done a temperature test of my amp. The power transistors got to about 56 degrees c after 15 mins so that won't work. Will have to rebuild with bigger heatsinks

Graham