Amplifier Experts?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Amplifier Experts?

Post by Bootsy »

Needs a roast dinner or two and some tats
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

I must I do struggle with old cars because new ones are so much better, my Bentley was one of the few Classics that bettered moderns in many ways. It was very quiet indeed, rode beautifully and handled surprisingly well with radial tyres and stiffer anti-roll bars. All this until you needed to get it out of a tight parking spot.

Apart from the noise levels, the 356C is a worthy re-placement.

But record players ruin music, or at least Classical Music, pop was literally made and modified to sound as good as it could on records so they’re aren’t so irritating.
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

KS wrote: Modern cars are accused of being too perfect and lacking in soul (one reason why I sold the Cayman),
Interesting - what did you replace it with ?
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

gridgway wrote:Just done a temperature test of my amp. The power transistors got to about 56 degrees c after 15 mins so that won't work. Will have to rebuild with bigger heatsinks

Graham
Perhaps you should go kettle Graham. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwbl305y8dc
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Now that is a cool idea! Hehe
I wonder what other heat pumps might work. Like those fans that work by heat on top of the wood burning stove. Use some of the heat to generate power to turn the fan which generates a breeze to make the cooling more efficient.
KS

Post by KS »

richkaz wrote:
KS wrote: Modern cars are accused of being too perfect and lacking in soul (one reason why I sold the Cayman),
The clue is in my signature... ;)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

KS wrote:
richkaz wrote:
An orange masterpiece!
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

KS wrote:
richkaz wrote:
Ah Hah, So that'll be one of those KoenigSegg (KS) jobbies. Hope they gave you a good deal on the Cayman

Or one of these maybe ?

1971 911 2.2T sold
KS

Post by KS »

Def not a Kuntyegg. :lol:

Try here...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64299
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

Looks very nice. Orange is a great colour for an old Porsche and that certainly won't be
Lacking soul !

1971 911 2.2T sold
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

richkaz wrote:
I don’t get that because, as someone said earlier, old cars pretty awful in comparison with decent moderns.

I reckon my 718 is the best looking and most characterful Porsche to date. If I’m honest, I was never completely convinced by the handling of my 987, it was a bit gutless unless you revved it to 7000 and then it was quite noisy. The 718 is better looking, better handling, quieter and very fast indeed.

A friend has a 964, which is a beautiful car, but the ride is a bit harsh, it wasn’t as torquey as my 2.7 987, it doesn’t grip as well, it’s noisier and it has cost a great deal to undo the damage done by previous owners. He’s always loved Porches and owned a 1973 2.4T before, but he could probably have bought a late 981 for what the 964 has cost. Likewise my 356 has cost more than the 718 to get it right.

I’ve been around classics all my life so that when I’ve bought one, I’ve tried to pick the best so that I’m happy to drive them long distances because some are frightful. I love classics and I’ll keep the Healey and the 356 and I love them, but IMO moderns are much more fun and less stress if you’re going to really use them.
KS

Post by KS »

I guess I'd have a different view on things if I could afford to own both a modern and a classic. I can't so I made a choice. As I can only afford to have just one 'fun' car, I thought the Cayman might cover all bases. It didn't – personally speaking, of course. In my work I get to drive a wide variety of Porsches, ancient and modern and after driving a 718 out to Essen a couple of years ago, I was hooked on the idea of owning a modern. Engine note aside, it was sensational. I couldn't afford a 718 – and, TBH, I don't think I'd ever bring myself to buy a brand new car because of the depreciation – so put all my eggs in one basket and bought a very nice 981. It ticked a box, but that was all. I'm pleased for you that you have a 718 and clearly enjoy it. But would you, hand on heart, have disposed of the Healey and 356 so you could afford to buy the 718?
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

KS wrote:I guess I'd have a different view on things if I could afford to own both a modern and a classic. I can't so I made a choice. As I can only afford to have just one 'fun' car, I thought the Cayman might cover all bases. It didn't – personally speaking, of course. In my work I get to drive a wide variety of Porsches, ancient and modern and after driving a 718 out to Essen a couple of years ago, I was hooked on the idea of owning a modern. Engine note aside, it was sensational. I couldn't afford a 718 – and, TBH, I don't think I'd ever bring myself to buy a brand new car because of the depreciation – so put all my eggs in one basket and bought a very nice 981. It ticked a box, but that was all. I'm pleased for you that you have a 718 and clearly enjoy it. But would you, hand on heart, have disposed of the Healey and 356 so you could afford to buy the 718?
I understand your view perfectly and I question my wisdom in buying a nearly new 718 as I did, especially as 981s are really nice cars. I actually tried a Merc S/CLK and a 981 before I bought it and I’m still not convinced I made a wise decision, only that I got an excellent car.

As far as buying classics goes, I definitely advise anyone spending new money amounts on older cars to carefully consider a new or nearly new one as an alternative simply because old ones always cost far more once you have them. They always need huge amounts spending to get them right.

My son has pinched my Healey and both kids are more sentimental about it than me because my wife had one when we married in 1970, so I can’t really sell it to buy anything else. We’ve got a Series 1 Land Rover as well that my mum left to my son. She’d had it since the early seventies, it looks pretty good but needs a total rebuild and it’s in my daughter’s garage because there’s nowhere else to put it.

Too many cars in this family.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Ashley James wrote:... but IMO moderns are much more fun and less stress if you’re going to really use them.
bollox
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Ashley James wrote:They always need huge amounts spending to get them right.
- don't agree with this statement either ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”