Amplifier Experts?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Amplifier Experts?

Post by neilbardsley »

After over 20 years of service my Yamaha ax 592 has stopped working in one channel. Can anybody recommend another amp I would replace it with. I would be happy to buy 2nd hand. Probably not looking to pay over £300.

These are getting good reviews

https://www.whathifi.com/onkyo/9010/review

but happy to be patience and try to grap a bargain on ebay or another forum
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Amplifier Experts?

Post by Ashley James »

Yamaha make a superb integrated 100wpc amp for about £220. It’ll be as good as you get.
KS

Post by KS »

Neil, I have one of those Onkyo amps - exactly the same. Superb piece of kit and amazing value. Bought it last year to use while my Sugden is overhauled and just kept it...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Ashley James wrote:Yamaha make a superb integrated 100wpc amp for about £220. It’ll be as good as you get.
Is this the one you are talking about?

https://petertyson.co.uk/yamaha-a-s301- ... r?___SID=U
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Yes Neil that’s the one. Yamaha make very good equipment.
Ant22
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Ant22 »

Hmm. Like cars, or watches amps vary. What do you play, cd, streaming or vinyl. Do you want function - Prius - or design classic that’s subtle - beetle - or cool - we know ...
Buy a vintage quad pre / power, musical fidelity integrated, 70s Luxman or marantz with meters. 300£ will get you something cool. Check artofsound or hifishark.
Be patient & get something uncommon. No offence to Yamaha lovers or Prius drivers intended.
MY 73 2.4S
KS

Post by KS »

The impression I got was that Neil was after a modern amp along the lines of the one which needs replacing. If you're getting into the realms of classic stuff, well, that's a whole different ball game... My Onkyo is a stand in while I get my Sugden A48 Series 2 overhauled. When that's done, the Onkyo will go back in its box until the next time.

Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Might be up for something older but clueless to what is good. I value function over style. I most listen to vinyl.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

If you value function over style get the Yamaha. I was in the audio industry from 1985 and even supplied Yamaha with special drivers when I was at my last but one company.

Can’t stand vinyl though. :lol:
KS

Post by KS »

Ashley James wrote: Can’t stand vinyl though. :lol:
Whaaaaattttt??? You Philistine! :cry:
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
mycar

Post by mycar »

neilbardsley wrote:
Ashley James wrote:Yamaha make a superb integrated 100wpc amp for about £220. It’ll be as good as you get.
Is this the one you are talking about?

https://petertyson.co.uk/yamaha-a-s301- ... r?___SID=U
Surely, at £189.00, it's worth a punt just to find out.... considering what you could spend on an amp at Peter Tyson. :)

https://petertyson.co.uk/hifi.html/sepa ... amplifiers
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Much of my work was on the pro side but I did have a turntable till the late eighties. Afterwards we periodically used them for shows, once a £15,000 one but in an AB, the problems are obvious and believers think you can’t design a phono stage.

Vinyl is hugely profitable for ailing record companies and the marketing is flawless, even Iron Man uses a turntable but I prefer streaming from the cloud to my system.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Ashley James wrote:Much of my work was on the pro side but I did have a turntable till the late eighties. Afterwards we periodically used them for shows, once a £15,000 one but in an AB, the problems are obvious and believers think you can’t design a phono stage.

Vinyl is hugely profitable for ailing record companies and the marketing is flawless, even Iron Man uses a turntable but I prefer streaming from the cloud to my system.
Yes I remember you frowning when I told you I preferred vinyl over cds. Mind you I have been playing some cd recently and the quality is very good
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I regularly play vinyl as my main/preferred source of music - I still have ~750 albums.

Despite many bearing the scars of decades of use I'd far rather listen to them - crackles & all - than clinical 'digitally re-mastered' sterile versions ...

- & there's no substitute for being able to handle the original outer jacket/cover, read the sleeve notes, etc ... 8)
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ashley James wrote:...ailing record companies....
?
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2