Possible to obtain ownership history from the DMV?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Possible to obtain ownership history from the DMV?

Post by Joelipol »

I want to write to the DMV to obtain more information on the ownership history of my US import ('71T). It was exported to the UK in 2013/14 and didn't come with any paperwork besides the last title. I have the original dealership on the CoA and I have the last registered owner's name but that's it.

I thought I had seen on here before a letter template requesting this information... any pointers?

Apologies if this has been asked previously, search has turned up no results...

Thanks for your help.
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Possible to obtain ownership history from the DMV?

Post by KS »

Due to changes in data protection, these days DVLA is reluctant to give out details of past ownership. Even the new V5Cs don't give the address of the previous owner.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

KS wrote:Due to changes in data protection, these days DVLA is reluctant to give out details of past ownership. Even the new V5Cs don't give the address of the previous owner.
DMV = America
I doubt it , but different states probably have different rules , all the DMV's are "different" !!
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
KS

Post by KS »

Oops, sorry. Didn't spot that! Sorry...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I'd be inclined to ask on Pelican & include a couple of photos of the car when you first bought it plus details of the last US owner's name & address - & mention the fact that it's a Sporto.

Have you tried searching him/her via google - might still be at the same address ?

It's amazing what you can find ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
vandamme
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by vandamme »

To be honest, a lot of people sell a car, and move on.
They aren't really interested to be contacted by future owners of a car they sold.

Asking on a forum , sure, but actively trying to get a list of previous owners and their details is just a step to far in my opinion. And I don't see how the DMV, any DMV in the US can possibly oblige in such a request, not even if it were a US national in the US asking, let alone a foreigner.

Unless there's a court order for a criminal case, from a US court I don't see this happen, at all.
Stijn Vandamme
EX911STARGA73EX92477EX94484EX944S88NOW987C2007

www.porscheclubfrancorchamps.be
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

That hasn't been my experience I've had very positive reaction and help from the previous owners.
vandamme
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by vandamme »

Be that as it may, there's such a thing as right to privacy.
Stijn Vandamme

cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

The previous owners of the last three of my US imports have all been more than happy to oblige. As we all do, I like my cars to have a fully documented history with gaps filled where possible. I've found its never been an issue and the previous owners enjoy the nostalgia when approached, especially stateside.

'73 D19 Winnebago project a good case in point: I've been sent masses of servicing documentation, oily invoices and vacation pics. I'm also now being good naturedly 'harassed' by my own little previous owners group to get my finger out and finish the bugger!

Good luck with yours...
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
vandamme
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by vandamme »

you can like your car to have the history, but it's not a right.
Asking on a forum, fine

Asking government agencies to give out personal details of previous owners , not.
And I doubt the DMV will
Stijn Vandamme

Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

vandamme wrote:you can like your car to have the history, but it's not a right.
Asking on a forum, fine

Asking government agencies to give out personal details of previous owners , not.
And I doubt the DMV will
OK , OK ... think we have the message now !
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

I do not put my car vin or photos on www despite at times being rudely rudly harangued to do so. That is because on www cars get identity misused. I understand the stance of companies and governments and have been trained on data privacy by companies fearful of breaching new laws. People are right to guard privacy as potential for misuse of data

Fortunately I started early. DVLA gave me every document from first green logbook to date when they were allowed to back in the ninties. Local council office licencing office the same. The late Olaf Lang drained the Porsche archives for my car vin and confirmed it is genuine thanks to enthusiast who worked there, but current generation employees often are aloof and self important in my experience.

If I received a polite 1:1 enquiry out of the blue from a bona fide individual who owned a previous car of mine and had got the details when legal and legit I would help.

Contacting PO and receiving warm reply including old photos documents and other things foc to add to file has been a pleasure. I have a complete through life record from production order through importer pickup pre registration on trade plates to owner and cherished numberplate changes right through to me. Sometimes a small world in one case we worked at the same F1 team years apart but know some people in common. The first owner and I have been in touch more than quarter of a century and he has given written permission to do research thereby sidestepping the data privacy issues

Certainly not a right and legally a minefield for those with custody of data which will be enforced so must be respected but owners of Porsche 45 plus years ago were buying something different from the average and if appoched in a polite way by an enthusiast in my experience respond positively. I've had lunch with several POs and had enjoyable time and I picked up the tab for their trouble.

Laws will be followed but in protecting rights it takes away one enjoyable facet -- researching the car and getting the narrative from PO. Also from those who traded and maintained it. A from production order cast iron ownership chain adds value when so many examples have patchy dubious history but friendships and degrees of separation connections to folks through common iownership of an old car -- what price on that?

Steve
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

vandamme wrote:you can like your car to have the history, but it's not a right.
Asking on a forum, fine

And I doubt the DMV will
Not sure where you're getting the 'right' angle from as I never suggested it was my right. However, my first step was an application at the local DMV office for previous owner details - a simple over the counter form, filled out as a walk in customer and very similar to the old DVLA system. The twenty minute air-conditioned wait meant I left with a print out of chronological previous owners, gratis.

I found that four of the thirteen had died. Five had moved. One imprisoned. Three have remained firm friends.

Current data laws are a modern necessity unfortunately. Success in your search is easier, more immediate and far more personalised on the many passionate owners forums anyway. Remember, even Big Brother likes old cars and a chat over a cup of tea and a custard cream...
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

Great chat - thanks for everyone's view on this, I'll post it up on Pelican and maybe early911reg and see how I go...