Maybe the time has come for mine too...but not sure

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

gallego
DDK Fanatic

Maybe the time has come for mine too...but not sure

Post by gallego »

Hi all,

I'm considering selling my 914 (other half thinks 3 classic Porsche are too many to drive - I disagree). I'm gauging if there is any interest for her within the community as I've spent a lot of time and even more money getting her to her current condition and don't want her to go to an MG driver. I'm adding a few images but recent work includes:

Re-built 2.0 litre engine by 356 (about 7k) - she is leak free!!!
Re-spray in original paint under licence (not water based)
Re-trim in leather and Porsche houndstooth (sorry purists, I'm not a vinyl person)
New carpet set, rubbers where necessary, crack free dash, Infinity speakers and Alpine stereo
New suspension set up with adjustable Koni
All running gear removed, blasted and powder coated
New exhaust system
Peddle box re-built
Gearbox re-bushed and new clutch
New fuel pump, lines, etc.
Recent spend is around 12k on the above (from Pro9 in Redditch) before engine.
Tyres are new Michelin too.

Click on the images for more photos.

Car is running on carbs (extremely well) but I do have the original MFI (fully working) in a sealed box.

As you can see, she hasn't wanted for much but like all old things, she will want more - for now though, she is a fast little, noisy 70s girl with a lot of admirers and even more people wanting to know what she is.

If you're interested, PM me and we can talk and take from there.

Thanks for looking...Jose
vandamme
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: Maybe the time has come for mine too...but not sure

Post by vandamme »

Car looks stunning but obviously all is down to the price and realistically you never get out of it what you have put in.
Unless you had it a very long time and saw some price hikes come.. Though i think prices are over the hump a bit, that might not be so true for really good cars.

I'm sure it will sell if you want it to sell.
I think the latter half of that last sentence is key, since you hint at maybe selling but already put in safeguards for not selling. (why wouldn't you sell to an MG driver if he pays your asking price?? That's racist to MG drivers ! :D)

Btw, 914's did not have MFI but D-Jetronic.. It's a Continous Injection System with electric pulse controlled injectors on analog electronic circuitry.

MFI stands for Mechanical Fuel Injection where an electric pump provides base pressure to a mechanical injection pump (much like a diesel pump) that is timed and powered by the engine.
It mechanically raises the base pressure on individual injector lines to very high pressures, it's injectors have no control circuitry, it all happens based on the pump's output.
The entire system can run in perfect warm running tune without any kind of electronic or electric wiring.

Only Porsches to have this were 911's or race cars like 917's , 936 956 (off top of my head, could be wrong), SC-RS
And other cars like BMW 2002 TI, merc SL280, SL300, with Bosch or Kugelfischer pumps, or Alfa's with Spica pumps.
Stijn Vandamme
EX911STARGA73EX92477EX94484EX944S88NOW987C2007

www.porscheclubfrancorchamps.be
gallego
DDK Fanatic

Re: Maybe the time has come for mine too...but not sure

Post by gallego »

Hi and thank you for the comprehensive reply - firstly I must excuse my position on MG ownership - I'm sure they are great cars and was intended as a joke. Secondly, thank you for setting me right on the injection system - as you have correctly identified I'm no mechanic but love DDK for the amount of knowledgeable people on here.

On your price point, there still seems to be a growing difference between basket cases and cars that have been sorted. European prices and even eBay has definitely shown an increase - I know that I won't recover what I put into it and that they are marmite cars - I'm fortunate enough not to need to sell it and love driving it so if she stays, its only my other half who will complain (she doesn't like it compared to my 911s).