Project 25

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Re: Project 25

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I can't report a great deal of progress due to Steve and crew each having their own personal nightmares but everything is bubbling under with plans now set regarding final work. The exhaust man is coming this week to get the pipework finished and bolted up, this is vital to the placement of the oil tank and fittings. Whilst I have thoughts about using a couple of Supertraps out the back, it would be much tidier to place a pair of mufflers up into the rear section of the fenders very similar to the positioning of the boxes in 997's. This would free up space for the oil tank to be positioned in a more stock site in the forward part of the off side fender. New springs have been ordered for the rear Koni coil-overs but due to the arc travel of the rear suspension we are going to have to fit a couple rose joints to the bottom of the shocks. Another item we are pondering over is a Carrera (as in 4 cam) rear valance which features two cutouts for exhaust pipes. I don't mind seeing a bit of mechanicals but I didn't want all its guts hanging down on show to the world like a demented rat rod. I picked up all the wheels at Classic Fabs yesterday so I can get them all polished up with new tyres fitted and that will be one small item done and out of the way.
I really miss my little beastie, it's been a year and a half since I've driven it but it has to be right and with these guys on the case it will be.
Attachments
DSCN2586.JPG
DSCN2581.JPG
DSCN2580.JPG
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Going to be epic
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

The lads down South are, I am very pleased to say, all back up to speed again and are cracking on with my wee beastie. We're still waiting on the exhaust man to come and do the business with pipes, mufflers and bender. I said I wanted it loud but there ain't a lot of space out the back as you know, still I'm sure it will be a nice job. Now regarding space, there was just never going to be enough of it to fit the stock 911 oil tank where it usually would reside, in the offside rear fender, So Steve has fabricated a super neat tank which will be positioned above the motor in the engine compartment. I think we will be running hard lines up to the front for an oil cooler with a remote oil filter somewhere along the way.
I may have mentioned in the past that I have always been interested in street rods, hot rods and drag racing and it was when I was checking out the stuff on a hot rod website-Rods and Sods that I saw a pic of my old Mustang engined sit up and beg Ford Pop that I built way back in the late eighties. Posting off a few words the author of the original post was quite delighted to find me. In fact he said he had been trying to locate me for about 25 years since I sold the Pop. Anyway, beside the fact the fact that he got the old Pop to run 11's and 120+ in the quarter mile it turns out that he is a car trimmer and has done quite a few rods and custom machines. So this is a great contact for me to have the interior done when my car is up and running.
And a few pics. . .sorry they're a bit small!
Attachments
4.jpg
3a.jpg
2.jpg
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I'm still waiting for the exhaust to be done. The exhaust man decided he needed a holiday a few weeks ago so postponed the work. But he is back now and Steve assures me the wait will be worth it as he is a craftsman when it comes to pipework. And Steve is another craftsman par excellence as he has finished fabricating my oil tank and started to run the hard lines up through the sills to the front of the car to meet up with a little oil cooler, in fact just like a 911.
Attachments
7.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I know some folks like them and more folks don't but being forged they do polish up so well. Fuchs wheels of course and this little lot 16 x 6 and 7's are for the 356. And totally against my Purchasing Managers' instructions I spent a few pennies and got me some nice carbertooters as well.
Attachments
DSCN2630.JPG
DSCN2629.JPG
8.jpg
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Blinging hell. My resignation is in the post Graham. :)
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I'm going to post up a couple of feature as there has been quite a bit going on and it's really because we're limited to the number of piccys we can accompany the post, and regarding the pics I'm sorry they are postage stamp size but I have to reduce the pixel count dramatically just to get them to post up. So . . . down at the farm something stirred with hammers and hacksaws, all Snap-on of course.
The oil pipes are complete and now run from the custom oil tank positioned immediately above the motor in the engine bay to a remote Mocal oil filter housing then the pipes go through the right sill up to a nice little oil cooler. I'm not going to be ducting this cooler in any way as I don't want holes in the front of the car and because it's so low there won't be room for any scoops underneath. I'm hoping that the length of the pipework plus the ambient airflow around the oil cooler will be sufficient to cool the motor, anyway I'm running an oil temp gauge so we'll soon see if I'm wrong. Here's a coupla pics . . .
Attachments
43.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I'm currently having internet problems so I'll be brief before it throws me out again. Here is a pic I wanted to show you on the oil pipe works, it should have replaced the last pic shown above.
Attachments
14.jpg
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Me again, just check out my new exhaust. Got an expert in to fabricate this superb system which copies how the factory position the exhaust boxes in 997s. I haven't heard it run yet because we have to connect up all the fuel lines but I just hope it ain't too quiet!
If you may be interested in my little project, check out UK Outlaw on the USA 356 Registry web site where the pics are shown in a much better size.
Attachments
104.jpg
102.jpg
101.jpg
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Wow. That looks great! Are you doing a bracket between the tailpipes as well?
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Hi Gary, when I was building stuff with V8s I always welded up a balance pipe between the two sets of headers. This, I was told was to increase the torque through the scavenging phenomena between all the cylinders but this doesn't seem to hold much value with the Porsche boxster layout so it ain't going to have one. A bracket for the tail pipes has not been deemed necessary as we'll be running a bracket from extended studs on the bottom valve cover to support the two mufflers.
Attachments
100.jpg
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Pics are fine here 8)

The exhaust system looks great
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

The bracket comment was about supporting the tailpipes as I’d expect them to move around quite a bit as the manifolds heat up, don’t want them hitting the body on a long run :)
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I see what you mean. Once I get the beast fired up and on the road I sure there will be a load of things to sort out and I expect knocking exhaust pipes certainly will be one of them. I'll have my 5lb persuader handy.
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Just got back from the workshop where I dropped off the Webers and manifolds to go onto my engine. I also took the 6" Fuchs which I've had polished to go on the front and I'm quite amazed because these wheels have totally changed the look of the car. Previously the wheels were virtually all black with only the outer edge of the rim left polished and the impression they gave to the car was of extreme toughness like a rally car which was how I originally built it. But now with the polished Fuchs all round it has developed a much softer appearance, much more custom car style. Not sure if I like it to tell you the truth, I might just get the dulux out.
Attachments
DSCN2637.JPG
DSCN2638.JPG
DSCN2636.JPG