Project 25

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Re: Project 25

Post by Ignatzcatz »

And Hugo 356, what a wonderful analogy. I shy away from designating vehicles as of a feminine gender and bestowing a similar name but I really think you nailed it there.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Ignatzcatz wrote:And Hugo 356, what a wonderful analogy. I shy away from designating vehicles as of a feminine gender and bestowing a similar name but I really think you nailed it there.
indeed absolutely spot on
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Thanks fellas. To be fair to Brigitte she did cut a few discs including this distracting ode to the Harley Davidson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai2As4XFZDY

& you may recognise St Tropez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auTWWLVu_gc
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Not done yet, after the road test all the exhaust gaskets were blown. The flanges on the headers are much thicker than stock heat exchangers and consequently the studs on heads are not long enough to have sufficient hold onto the nuts so they come loose and you blow out all the gaskets. The only solution was to fit longer studs and of course the main problem was getting the old ones out which after being in residence for best part of 47 years they were having none of this and they all promptly committed hari-kari and snapped off. But Steve was not a man to be messed with, he quickly drilled the buggers out, re-tapped the threads and we had a nice set of long, stainless steel studs in place in short order. The headers back on nice and tight and no more problems. Earlier when I was still restoring the old dog, I decided I didn't want the ancient umbrella style handbrake which sat under the dash. These used to be on Ford Pops in the '50's good heavens. Anyway I fitted an early 911 handbrake assembly on the floor near to the drivers seat and the cables went to rear VW brakes fitted so I could get a 5 on 130mil PCD in order to run Fuchs rims. With the 911 rear discs now fitted the cables had to find a new home and Steve fabbed up and welded cable stops and guides which were tacked onto the underside of the transmission crossmember. Naturally the crossmember had to come off have the welds ground down, re-painted and re-fitted, another job completed. Additional small jobs were making some extra little fixings for my sill trim which is in fact the trim from the front wing off an MGB, much neater than stock 356 ware. And fabbing up some dust guards for the rear discs as these things are unobtainable. We're looking for things to do now and a guard was needed for the front mounted oil cooler which was back in use having fully eliminated our oil aerating problems and a small piece of mesh to go into the vacant space in the front wing to stop and nasties flying through and onto the oil cooler. Crikey chaps we're nearly done, we leave Steve and Patrick sorting out the camber and caster and toe-in and tracking and a small matter of spring rates for the Koni coil overs is still to be addressed. My thoughts now go to interior, meaning headlining, replacing all the horrid bits of vinyl and a bit of carpeting. And one other item that lately flicked through my tiny brain was that I don't have a heater, I'll have to give that some thought.
Attachments
356 m 12.6.jpg
356 l 12.6.jpg
356 e 12.6.jpg
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Here's a couple more piccys
Attachments
356 h 12.6.jpg
356 o 12.6.jpg
356 n 12.6.jpg
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Looking good

One unusual and non proven solution to heating which I have considered looking into further, is to use all that lovely heated oil. Find a small compact water feed under dash radiator and run oil through it, wire up the blower switch and toastie. I have spoken to a couple of suppliers who said it should work but obviously never tried the idea.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

A few years back when I just ate, slept and breathed surfing, a total surf rat, I had a '66 splittie that I fitted out with a type 3 engine, the one from a fastback with the fan at the rear. This had no heat exchangers just pipes that went into a pair of Triumph Spitfire expansion boxes which sounded pretty good, well I thought so and it got me down to Portugal too. Anyway with no heater in the bus I rigged up a twin row gas heater in the back and ran it off the calor cylinder in the van I used for cooking. Yes, open flame fire just above the petrol tank, what me worry, however, I'm not too sure about interrupting the oil feed pipework in order to route it up to the firewall area for a heater in the 356. Although I could utilise all AN fittings a leak would be an absolute disaster especially if I had my best jeans on. No I think I shall have to engage something electrical whatever that might be.
And hey Greg let's see your cars, I bet the speedster is mucho rapido.
anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by anglophone1 »

You have a PM Graham
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

We are very very near completion. The car has been at Rawspeeds' tuning shop on their rolling road where they totally sorted the Webers and I am advised that it's running just as sweet as the proverbial nut. Back inside the Honiton workshop of Classic Fabs and from there guvnor Steve gave me a call - "Everything's looking good, but, it's decided not to charge anymore". Having not had any opportunity to run up the engine prior to installation, I had no clues as to the state of the alternator although it did seem to be functioning correctly earlier. Not wanting to further delay release of the car I said go buy a new one and stick it in. Of course with a 911 engine this is a very much more involved process than with the four banger. Carbs off, fan off, cooling metalwork off and it's a pretty fiddly job. Anyway that business is being addressed and then I hear that the oil temp gauge has ceased to function. This gauge is electric with a stepper motor, it's US made being an Autometer piece. Can't get one in the UK, it's also 2 5/8ths large diameter, no alternative but to bite the bullet and order one direct form the States, the gauge was 250 bucks with a hundred for the shipping then 55 quid clearance charge. Nice. So as I alluded to earlier, we are nearly there then Steve called to say the indicators had packed up. You must be joking now. No he wasn't but his electrician man was in the house so that is being taken care of as well. Phew no more please, I am definitely going to Boxengasse and I'm definitely going to Hedingham but I think I shall get a tow bar fitted to the wife's Macan and she can follow me with a trailer attached and I reckon I shall be carrying enough tools and spares which would put a Paris to Peking competitor to shame.
Back home having been able to secure a decent amount of cement, bricks and building material, there is a nationwide shortage if you didn't know, I'm cracking on with the construction of a third garage to house all the toys but even with this I have a big problem with a four brick difference in base to driveway levels, but I'll just need a bit more hardcore, did you get that Dave, hardcore OK.
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy... :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Never one to argue with my superiors, Mr. Kerti has informed me the car is done as in finished, complete and good to go so get the bleedin' thing out of my workshop.
And I'm a very happy teddy, pics v. soon.
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I have had the car back home now for a few months and quite honestly it's been a real pain in the arse. I missed CATC due to one of the front caliper bolts going awol down the M25, I only heard a slight bang but continued on and it was only when I braked coming off the exit of the Dartford crossing to get to the Thurrock services that the loose nearside front caliper flew back into the inside of the wheel causing a nasty swerve to the left and a very speedy halt. I limped the car to an industrial park where I called for assistance. My insurance with Classic includes breakdown cover and the guy who turned up was a real diamond. He swapped the single caliper bolt from the upper position to the lower spot so that if I did have to brake the caliper would travel toward the hub, he also found an old wrongly threaded bolt which he screwed into the caliper mount, I could easily re-tapped the thread when I got home, which held the caliper a bit more securely. Everything was hunky dory so we started out for Hedingham but her indoors was having none of this, the only direction we would be travelling after all this trauma was in the direction of home. It was a bit sad because I knew Mr Prill and PRS would be at the event and I am sure one of these guys would have been able to sort me out.
Problem number two occurred when traveling out to a local harvest fair. It was only 15 miles or so from home but I suddenly found I had a distinct lack of brakes, the pedal was almost going down to the floor. Like many Porsche drivers I use the gears to remove forward motion so I didn't have much problem making it back home where the next day I got the old dog up on axle stands to give the brakes a thorough bleed. The situation was much better after my endeavours so on the next Sunday we set out for what was to be the last meet up for this troubled year. It was a Sussex region PCGB meet at some extensive gardens at Ardingly. We got 5 miles from home when I started to smell petrol and within the next mile I watched my petrol gauge drop very quickly from F to E. Fortunately there was a very handily situated bus stop pull in where I got on the phone once again for the breakdown truck. The remains of my petrol tank has left a lovely large dark stain in the bus lay by as a reminder of our dilemas. Whilst most of the pipework on my car is AN fittings the petrol pipe albeit a braided affair is only held by three jubilee clips or at least there were three the last time I looked but on inspection there was now only one and the petrol pipe was swinging in the breeze. No worries apart from losing 50 quids worth of gas, and the darn brake pedal had started it's earthward journey once again. So all the jacks came out again and up in the air in went for some serious fettling. The rear 911 calipers were new and the front 944 calipers were rebuilt and have covered less than a thousand miles so this pointed toward the master cylinder for renewal although this was a new unit again only a thousand miles or so ago. I did have some difficulty remembering what type of maste cylinder I was running then I found an old invoice which listed it as a left hand drive mid 70's type 1 VW so that was a reasonably priced replacement.
Whilst the car was up in the clouds I thought I would address a minor eyesore in the interior which had niggled me for some time. As I had repositioned all my switchgear to a centre panel between the seats, there was a large clutch of wires and gauge pipework coming from the back of the dash down to the centre tunnel. I thought I should fabricate a small centre consol to hide this visual mess plus I would fit a new stereo at the same time and install a USB outlet for my phone and sat nav and have a 12V outlet for any other bits. This was a bit of a fiddle as there is not a great deal of space to play with but it has turned out fairly well and I now have released my glovebox which previously housed the amp for my old stereo now no longer used.
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I have had the car back home now for a few months and quite honestly it's been a real pain in the arse. I missed CATC due to one of the front caliper bolts going awol down the M25, I only heard a slight bang but continued on and it was only when I braked coming off the exit of the Dartford crossing to get to the Thurrock services that the loose nearside front caliper flew back into the inside of the wheel causing a nasty swerve to the left and a very speedy halt. I limped the car to an industrial park where I called for assistance. My insurance with Classic includes breakdown cover and the guy who turned up was a real diamond. He swapped the single caliper bolt from the upper position to the lower spot so that if I did have to brake the caliper would travel toward the hub, he also found an old wrongly threaded bolt which he screwed into the caliper mount, I could easily re-tapped the thread when I got home, which held the caliper a bit more securely. Everything was hunky dory so we started out for Hedingham but her indoors was having none of this, the only direction we would be travelling after all this trauma was in the direction of home. It was a bit sad because I knew Mr Prill and PRS would be at the event and I am sure one of these guys would have been able to sort me out.
Problem number two occurred when traveling out to a local harvest fair. It was only 15 miles or so from home but I suddenly found I had a distinct lack of brakes, the pedal was almost going down to the floor. Like many Porsche drivers I use the gears to remove forward motion so I didn't have much problem making it back home where the next day I got the old dog up on axle stands to give the brakes a thorough bleed. The situation was much better after my endeavours so on the next Sunday we set out for what was to be the last meet up for this troubled year. It was a Sussex region PCGB meet at some extensive gardens at Ardingly. We got 5 miles from home when I started to smell petrol and within the next mile I watched my petrol gauge drop very quickly from F to E. Fortunately there was a very handily situated bus stop pull in where I got on the phone once again for the breakdown truck. The remains of my petrol tank has left a lovely large dark stain in the bus lay by as a reminder of our dilemas. Whilst most of the pipework on my car is AN fittings the petrol pipe albeit a braided affair is only held by three jubilee clips or at least there were three the last time I looked but on inspection there was now only one and the petrol pipe was swinging in the breeze. No worries apart from losing 50 quids worth of gas, and the darn brake pedal had started it's earthward journey once again. So all the jacks came out again and up in the air in went for some serious fettling. The rear 911 calipers were new and the front 944 calipers were rebuilt and have covered less than a thousand miles so this pointed toward the master cylinder for renewal although this was a new unit again only a thousand miles or so ago. I did have some difficulty remembering what type of maste cylinder I was running then I found an old invoice which listed it as a left hand drive mid 70's type 1 VW so that was a reasonably priced replacement.
Whilst the car was up in the clouds I thought I would address a minor eyesore in the interior which had niggled me for some time. As I had repositioned all my switchgear to a centre panel between the seats, there was a large clutch of wires and gauge pipework coming from the back of the dash down to the centre tunnel. I thought I should fabricate a small centre consol to hide this visual mess plus I would fit a new stereo at the same time and install a USB outlet for my phone and sat nav and have a 12V outlet for any other bits. This was a bit of a fiddle as there is not a great deal of space to play with but it has turned out fairly well and I now have released my glovebox which previously housed the amp for my old stereo now no longer used.
Attachments
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

So Retro Rides last weekend and I was hoping, no, I was lusting for the chance to give the wee beastie a damn good thrashing around the iconic Goodwood circuit. I had my drivers suit with Porsche patch sewn on the back and Porsche badge on the front, Sparco driving boots and gloves, Simpson Nascar helmet with the Raybans, all the gear and no idea, hang on, I even had fireproof socks, yeah sad I know. I had checked the car over, tyre pressures fine, torqued all the wheels, topped the oil level, took all the junk out of the front, I was locked and loaded then told that we would not be going full round the circuit, only doing a sprint up to the Lavant bend, through a chicane then a 180 back to the regular chicane, scream down to Madgwick, another bloody chicane and a 180 back to the pits. And I thought this is the pits. At least I pulled 7K rpm in fifth down to the Madgwick bit which must have been about a ton but I really wanted to give it loads. So I now have to wait for August when I have a proper track day booked. I would say that when zapping through the chicanes the car handled very well, no excessive tail movement which everybody said would happen, it was quite neutral with minimal body roll. I think that the mass of the big 915 gearbox which is sat pretty much central in the car is cancelling out any tail happy tendences. It does make a wicked noise when it's flat out pedal to the metal.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Frustrating not to do the full circuit but you must be happy so far

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP