Fiat Abarth ...

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Fiat Abarth ...

Post by jjeffries »

May I ask what secrets you employed to fold that sheet-ABS? Heat? Folding it over a straight edge or square? Excellent result, especially at the corners. John/CT, USA
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Nothing fancy John - just clamped between 2 pieces of wood in a vice, heat applied locally along the fold lines using a hot air gun & folded over using another piece of wood to apply pressure & ensure a nice 'sharp' edge at the folded joint. It only takes 10-15 secs for the ABS to cool down again in its 'set' position.

Further adjustments are possible if necessary by gently heating again/re-positioning - but it's always better if you can get it right first time.

Any small gaps - like the 'valley' created where the vertical sides meet the back panel - can be filled using black hot glue & any excess trimmed when set using a Stanley knife.

The black textured ABS is very versatile - I've used it for a variety of car-related purposes over the years from lightweight interior door panels & 'clock-delete' plug in my 911R-inspired car, stereo amp cover & seatbelt escutcheons in my Alfa Spider, accessory under-dash switch panel in my 356, etc ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Cool...thanks!