356 super 90 B restoration/outlaw

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 356 super 90 B restoration/outlaw

Post by Ashley James »

DustyM wrote:356 bodyshells. The gift that keeps on giving!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I knew 911s in the seventies that we’re at least as bad as that. All cars were bad, Fiats might have been the worst, but the rust got everywhere in 911s.
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

You might enjoy the Restoration section on abcgt.com, an American 356 forum, lovely place. John
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

The body restoration on mine is finished now, it had nothing like as much rust because it had been in a good part of America, but I still ended up with new sills, a complete new front section and a rear because of poorly repaired crash damage. Interestingly they sprayed the inside of the sills and the front and rear section before assembly and will still cavity wax when it’s done.

Doors had new bottoms and wings were removed to do area round A posts.

The ride on my car, a C, is excellent and makes the car comfortable and a good driver.

My engine has a counterbalanced crank, 1720cc pistons and barrels and a 912 cam but the excellent Zeniths. It’s surprisingly torquey and very driveable and will shoot round to 6000 and 80 odd in third. Given the relatively low top gear, I’d say that this is about the best compromise and that further tuning will just lose ease of driving and what is a good top gear performance.

I believe the Solexes are prone to flat spots anyway on the 90s, so it might be worth switching to Webers.

I look forward to seeing progress photos cos you have lots of work. Best of luck.