1970 "S"

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 1970 "S"

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Mini Update.
A couple of weekends ago I did 154 miles to meet up with Dave and a few others from "Cars & Cabbages" ( although I thought Porsche & Penises would have been a better group name) for a drive out in Surrey and Sussex with a breakfast stop included. Alas the biblical down pour cause flooding and plenty of standing water so the drive was postponed for another day. So 154 miles back home in a downpour. The windscreen wipers had a good work out. The rebuilt engine and box have now completed 1650 miles and the gear shift is much better. Never will be "slick" but it is fine enough. Now allowing myself up to around 5500 rpm limit. I managed 26 mpg on mostly motorway at the legal limit or thereabouts. Car ran perfectly except the mileometer has ceased and desisted on route. I little winter job.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Confessions of a closet washer.
The above could be misinterpreted as it had nothing to do with a WC. No I have not taken up washing toilets for a hobby although SWMBO feels I should make a greater contribution in that regard to our domestic affairs. But I digress. Those who read some of my other ramblings may remember my aversion to washing cars. That does not mean that I don't give them the odd wipe down with a Spongetex but a proper wash ? Not often. However as I have been asked by Autofarm to display the car outside their premises for the Boxengasse event ; "Oil Cooled" I thought I had better check out the cars in the garage. For some reason although I have car covers they have not been on the cars since January. Creeping old age has tended to make me a little lazy about somethings.Both the 993 and the 70S had a greasy film all over them. The culprit is the ST which runs rich but start up requires use of the manual 'choke' to start up. Clearly even I had to admit that a proper wash was necessary to get the bodywork of the S looking reasonable again. With a rush of blood to the head I purchased a bucket, sponge, car shampoo ( no washing up liquid this time) and three micro fibre cloths for
a fiver. I spent a whole hour washing and leathering off two cars. I would like to say the result was satisfying but I can't lie. It was a job. Done.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

So I got entry into Oil Cooled at Boxengasse and put the car with others in front of Autofarm. The work in progress on display inside Autofarm was impressive. The set up itself is very good indeed. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

I did not have time to get the S up to temperature as I had a) got up late and b) dithered around a lot before setting off to Oil Cooled which is just a few miles from my home. This is the first time this year I have driven the car and it was a little reluctant to start but once running was fine. The last time I used the car the trip mileometer and the mileometer stopped working. I made the mistake of resetting the trip whilst the car was moving and I have since read that this is not a good idea. Obviously I expected to have to take the speedo out and get it fixed. Needless to say this never happened. The 911 gods decided to look benevolent upon me as the mileometer has righted itself. Well that saved a bit of hassle and a little money. Fool it's a Porsche : lots of money.
This is the third running of Oil Cooled and it is developing into a very good event. More, mostly relevant traders, imaginative parking arrangements and very slick organisation. Also sponsors including a small discrete Porsche GB stand. Today I think the dire weather warnings put some people off as attendance of air cooled cars was a little less than last year. Plenty of water cooled cars though which were banished to a seperate area. Quite right too. Expecting a weather forecasted deluge it did not rain until around 2.30pm although it remained warm but grey for the duration. Met up with a few acquaintances and some good mates to talk Porsche bollocks for a couple of hours.
Autofarm had a couple of guys on hand who interviewed and made a video of a few Autofarm guests including me. I think this will be used for marketing purposes. Hopefully my interview will end up banished to the bin. If it does not meet that deserved fate then it will need subtitles as my black country accent is certainly not close to received pronunciation. Next year I will be signing autographs maybe and have developed into a You Tube 'influencer'.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

A few more pictures from Oil Cooled. ImageImageImage

Rust Never Sleeps
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

So where are the pictures of your car on dispaly outside Autofarm ?

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Your wish is my command Andy.ImageImageImage

Rust Never Sleeps
Lightweight_911

Thanks Kirk - the car looks lovely !!

Andy

BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.

Thanks Kirk - the car looks lovely !!

Thank you Andy.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

After the Curious Brake Light Switch Incident in The Daytime on the ST I was happy to get into the S. Collected from Autofarm on Saturday in readiness for an early ish departure for Classics at the Castle on Sunday. I had not done any mileage in the car for a very long time so it was good to reaquaint myself with the S on a round trip of almost 250 miles. Leaving Woodstock at 7.15am I headed towards Buckingham and then on toward MiltonKeynes and picked up Gary Cook of GDC. Both Gary and I are pretty deaf and wear hearing aids. So this was to become the Deaf Boys Tour and some interesting mistaken conversations over the journey. Mostly took minor roads which had little traffic on them which made for spirited progress. The S with its rebuilt engine and gearbox is a real delight to drive and even the brakes are not bad provided you press the pedal hard enough. On some rapid twisty sections of road Gary smiled and said
" These cars are just wonderful". Yes it was a very satisfying re union with the 911. Got to Hedingham at 9.20am on a bright sunny day. What a lovely day it turned out to be meeting up with people I have not seen face to face for sometime and talking Porsche bollocks for several hours. Saw Safety Colours very smart S but it was let down by the repro seats. ( actually they are the real deal Recaros) Great many excellent cars too and thanks to the organisers for making an enjoyable and relaxed day.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Long time since I posted anything on here about this car so here is a catch up. Post the worst of Covid and post engine build and post gearbox rebuild I did a few hundred miles in the car and all seemed fine except an oil leak which came from a lower valve cover. Gary Cook sorted that easily and the car was taken to last year's Classics at the Castle with Gary. A house move in early September 2021 meant the car went into storage at Autofarm and was only rescued yesterday. I have no garaging and have been tied up planning house extensions and ravaging the garden plus been using my 993 a bit and the troublesome ST. The S started fairly easily and made my way to get some E5 fuel. From almost empty to almost full said goodbye to £105 although I will get 6p per litre back when my Esso card bill is settled. Took the car home and did contemplate giving is a bit of a wash. However, my no wash voice decided otherwise and just did a clean of the glass and headlights with one of Mrs Cuddles' large dusters ( the said Mrs C was not in residence) and "no smear" glass cleaner. No smear my a*se but it would do. Wheel rims looked a bit grubby so they had a once over. Mrs Cuddles' duster was now a bit black so it got deposited at the bottom of the bin. Now waiting for
" Where is that new big duster?" Or "We are a big duster missing". Still I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
Set off for Retro Rides this morning at Goodwood where Ollie had kindly arranged a space for a few Porsches to congregate. Thank you Ollie. Goodwood is a tad over 105 miles from my home. Start up this morning got my next door neighbour, an ex Vicar, scurrying out of his house and round to me as I reversed off the drive. Sorry for the noise I said. He replied " It is a wonderful throaty roar and I have come to listen to you go down the road". Very understanding bloke. Set off at 8.05am and using A34, M3, M27 and A27 arrived in 1 hour 40 minutes which I considered decent progress to get to the destination. Not the most exciting roads admittedly but simplest route. Eight months since I last did any distance in the car and I have to admit I did not immediately "bond" with the car but after about 30 miles I felt content. The rebuilt gearbox is much nicer to use with decent sychro and no baulking getting into 1st or 3rd gear and no missed slots. You can't rush a dog leg box but they are quite satisfying to use.The engine does not feel appreciably more powerful than pre re build but gone is the tendency to bog down a little if the revs were a bit on the low side. The rebuilt MFI pump and new butterflies and spindles in the throttle bodies probably contributed to the smoother running. Certainly, I am not burning as much oil and there are no longer a myriad of oil leaks. Fuel consumption much improved too. Throttle response from the MFI equipped engine is very sharp in any gear and at more or less any revolutions of the engine. So all in all very satisfactory and lacking in any problems so it seems apart from the oil level gauge which now bounces around when on the move. This will need investigating but is of little consequence. The car does instill confidence. The fact the car is reliable is something of a relief compared to the ST Clone.
These early cars are certainly "useable" in that they can easily keep up with modern traffic and are relatively comfortable. They are not quiet to be in like a modern vehicle but cruise happily on fast roads and are not too tiring to drive although I find I have to concentrate more than in my daily driver especially maintaining decent distances between me and the car in front as the brakes are not up to modern standards. Or perhaps I am just getting a little old and past it so need to be more alert and can not rely on youthful reflexes.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

A short update with nothing interesting to divulge and no mechanical traumas to report. The S has been out of storage for quite a few months and has been in regular use two or three times a week apart from a 10 day holiday. This is the most fairly continuous use the car has had since its engine build during the latter stages of Covid. The gearbox was also given a substantial once over at the same time. Once the oil is warmed up the dog leg box is fine to use and part of the driving experience along with the thin rimmed steering wheel. The controls are all light and easy to manage. Everything works nicely. Even the brakes are not bad but you do need a leg like Mr Universe to maximise retardation.
The engine starts easily from cold when once it was a complete pain pre engine build. It sounds lovely and pulls really well and long may this last. Fuel consumption is tolerable and so far no oil leaks. The car has been a real delight to drive and instills confidence. I am completely at peace with the car and it is probably as good as it gets driving it.
However, as the S has been in so much use, and my 993 sold last month, the ST has languished in storage for most of this year. Today marked a change over: the S has gone back into storage and the ST retrieved and readied for Classics at the Castle.

Rust Never Sleeps
Lightweight_911

A good 2.2S is probably my favourite standard early 911 (narrowly beating a '69S) &, by the sound of it, you now have a very good one ...

Glad to hear you've been enjoying driving/bonding with it again Kirk.

Andy

inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Sounds good Kirk. Lovely car.
Sorry I won't be at CatC, hope to catch up soon.

BTW re brakes, I find the (standard) ones on my 70 S easily good enough for modern traffic. Or perhaps they just seem relatively good because I have been driving the 356 too much, and got used to drums...
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:31 pm .
A good 2.2S is probably my favourite standard early 911 (narrowly beating a '69S) &, by the sound of it, you now have a very good one ...

Glad to hear you've been enjoying driving/bonding with it again Kirk.

Yes Andy they are a very good car. The engine is delightful with two 'modes' up to 5k RPM and then quite intoxicating and very different when it gets on cam a little after 5k RPM and up to 7k.
Rust Never Sleeps