Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 1970 "S"

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Lightweight_911 wrote:Very nice !!
Thank you Andy. That is very kind of you.
Rust Never Sleeps
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Is that yours Mr Bean? Crystal blue?

Wow, that is one nice looking car. Lovely stance.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

210bhp wrote:Is that yours Mr Bean? Crystal blue?

Wow, that is one nice looking car. Lovely stance.

Regards
Mike
Mike,
Thank you. My car for a little over six years. It is Pastel Blue code 2020. Ride height is within Porsche factory parameter.
Rust Never Sleeps
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Does look great in that colour 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Very nice indeed. Some more pictures would be appropriate I think to fill up your gallery. I’d love to see them. Excuse my ignorance but I never knew you had such a lovely car. I must have been sleeping for 6 years. Is the S in inverted commas for a reason?

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

You international man of mystery, Kirk, with your secret S.
Looks very nice indeed, and you've mentioned originality before (has not needed the full resto treatment)?
I think we need more details and pics!
Cheers, Richard.
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Firstly, to answer Mike: the car is a genuine 2.2 litre S.
Secondly, Richard: " international man of mystery". Don't think so. I just about qualify for the description " Man". Travelling regularly between my Oxfordshire home and my mother's house in Bloxwich West Midlands hardly qualifies as "international". I should not be regarded as mysterious either it is just that I don't have many pictures of my car.
The car was built in December 1969 and delivered to California. It's history prior to importation into the UK about 18 years ago is not known. When imported it had been painted black and had 15 x 7" Fuchs all round. It had four owners in the UK prior to me. When I purchased the car it had
been returned to it's correct Pastel Blue but it had a number of issues. The driver's door did not fit particularly well and the B post on the same side of the car looked a little suspect.
The suspension and engine/ transaxle were removed as was the interior by Autofarm.The suspension was fully refurbished. The shell was sent to my neighbour John Williams at Chesterton Coachworks and mounted on a Cellette. The shell did need some work but was remarkably sound. Outer sills were replaced.The B post had obviously received an impact and had been bodged probably in the USA. The rear quarter adjacent to the B post had also received the bodge treatment and was replaced. The rear parcel shelf had two small holes in it, the bottom corners of the front and rear screens were also perforated and were repaired. As an indication of the cars condition the intermediate sills still carried the factory paint. No other work was deemed necessary and all other outer panels appeared original except for the rear number plate panel which should be aluminium but is steel. The shell still has its original "Schutz" body protection. The shell was bare metal painted by Nick Kyte of Retro Refinishers.The interior received a new dash and headlining but the remainder of the interior is believed to be original including the carpets. The car still had it's USA spec side light/ indicator lenses which were replaced with repro Eurospec ones. The headlights were also replaced by H1s.The brightwork is original and has not been refurbished. The vehicle still carries its original Porsche badges. It now wears correct Fuchs wheels and steering wheel.The car has a great deal about it that is original which I have tried to preserve rather than restore. It is a good car rather than a concourse specimen.
I will try and find a few more pictures to post.
Rust Never Sleeps
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Does looks superb in that colour
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Bootsy wrote:Does looks superb in that colour
Thanks Thomas.
Rust Never Sleeps
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

BILLY BEAN wrote:.The car has a great deal about it that is original which I have tried to preserve rather than restore. It is a good car rather than a concourse specimen.
Sounds perfect !
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Lightweight_911 wrote:
BILLY BEAN wrote:.The car has a great deal about it that is original which I have tried to preserve rather than restore. It is a good car rather than a concourse specimen.
Sounds perfect !
Thanks Andy. It was sometimes difficult to know when to restore and when to leave well alone.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Re: ways leaj1970 "S"

Post by BILLY BEAN »

After 7 years of ownership and approaching the car's 50th birthday I decided the engine and transaxle should come out. The engine runs well but has always leaked oil and runs rich. The throttle bodies were due some attention as the spindles on the butterflies have some wear. The exterior of the engine was pretty grubby and apart from a leak on the case split line the MFI pump was also leaking oil. The engine has Biral cylinders of which one had some minor scoring. After costing an over bore of the Birals and new pistons and rings I thought it expedient to buy new Mahle pistons and cylinders of the correct compression ratio. These came from MH Tiele in Germany who I have used before. MH offer a very quick turn around which was another reason for opting for new parts. The heads need a good clean, new valve guides, valve seats and new valves. The bottom end of the engine is generally in good order but bearings will be replaced and the crank, clutch and flywheel balanced. The MFI is off for a restoration at Fred Pentecost's and the gearbox has gone to Mike Bainbridge. I have media blasted all the small parts ready for passivating whilst the engine cases have been cleaned and gone off for machining including an oil bypass mod. Gary Cook is dealing with the rebuild of the engine. Good progress in less than 10 days. Hopefully the engine rebuild along with the relevant cosmetic treatment can be completed fairly quickly.
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Mon May 01, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

The gearbox was rebuilt by Mr Bainbridge and I collected it at the end of December 2019. Mike gave a very detailed account of the work done and a full list of parts replaced.
GDC had inspected the disassembled engine and given everything a good clean. Progress seemed assured.
So much for this to be a relatively quick standard engine re build. The rebuild hit the buffers early in 2020 with delays in getting the case halves machined, the con rods resized, heads machined/ new valve seats, the crank polished and balanced and the throttle bodies restored. In the mean time any new parts were acquired and fittings replated / powder coated. Following delays we then ran up against Covid 19 and the attendant restrictions on getting sub assembly work done.
Gary Cook of GDC who was to assemble the engine had taken on other work ( yes Martin) which he needed to complete but finally got going on my engine rebuild in early May 2020.
The engine is now complete and I have been impressed by Gary Cook's ability to communicate any issues he found and consult along the way.
The car itself has been in storage elsewhere but was delivered to GDC yesterday. Hopefully next week the engine and transaxle will be installed in the car and then taken to a rolling road for some fine tuning.
Rust Never Sleeps