Post by BILLY BEAN »

Obligatory image engine almost complete.Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 1970 "S"

Post by inaglasshouse »

Looks well, Kirk. Hope it runs well too!
70 S meetup, when COVID is over?
Cheers, Richard.
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Hello Richard,
Will soon find out if it runs well. Would be good to meet at some point. Hope you are well.
Regards, Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Re: 1970

Post by BILLY BEAN »

First start of the rebuilt 2.2S engine yesterday. Next step running in and then a visit to a rolling road for final adjustment to the MFI.
The link below does work but is a little slow connecting.

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ecfd99dcac ... WA0000.mp4

Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

It was intended to put the car on a rolling road unfortunately nothing available so alternative plan: Gary Cook made some small adjustments to the fuelling using a Lambda. The rebuilt gearbox was a little reluctant to go into first gear but an adjustment to the gear linkage rod and a few miles on the road appears to have sorted that.
The car will be returned to me in the Midlands ( we all have our cross to bear) next week. Now needs some careful running in.
Rust Never Sleeps
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Google b h performance. Rolling road open in Midlands

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
BILLY BEAN

Re: 1970

Post by BILLY BEAN »

neilbardsley wrote:Google b h performance. Rolling road open in Midlands

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
Thanks Neil.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Got the car back yesterday and had a short 39 mile test drive in quite a bit of stop start traffic. First impressions of the rebuilt engine and gearbox? The engine starts on the first turn of the key when cold instead five or six. Hot starting has never been a problem. I asked Gary Cook to look at the cold start solenoid and it was found that it was not making good electrical contact. The most notable impression was that the gearbox was very tight indeed although it eased up a little once up to temperature. First gear now has a synchro so double de clutching is no longer necessary. Fourth gear could now be selected every time it was required rather than as previously now and then when pressing on.
As the whole assembly is now in a "running in" phase revs were kept to 3500 with the odd excursion to 4000 RPM. The engine does not sound any different but even at modest throttle openings it is obvious throttle response is sharper. Idle speed needs adjusting as it is too high when the engine is hot.
Some careful running in and then eventually back to GDC for service and check over.
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Engine lid started to pop open over rough road surfaces. Adjustment of the cable sorted the issue. Image

Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Took the car back to GDC to resolve the fast idle speed when the engine is up to temperature. Suspected throttle stickiness but this was not the case. Minor adjustment to air/ fuel mixture appears to have solved the issue.

Now done just over 400 miles on the rebuilt engine and gearbox. The gearbox now getting a lot easier to shift gear. All shifts nice and positive and easy to get into the right slot; Mike Bainbridge appears to have done a good job on the gearbox rebuild. So far all is good on the rebuild.
The outlay on the engine and gearbox will never be recouped when the car is eventually sold. However, the intention was to have enhanced long term reliability which will hopefully see me to the day when I can no longer drive.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Great stuff Kirk. Looking forward to seeing it at some point!
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Whilst still restricting engine revs to 3000ish RPM did 155 miles non stop on Sunday. A trip down the Fosse Way and back. Now totalled 555 miles since the engine and gearbox rebuild. Fuel consumption certainly improved since the engine build. Gearbox generally loosening up but no chance of rushing cog swopping as it is a "dog leg" box. Still gear changes require less concentration than pre rebuild as the uncertainty of gear selection has disappeared. But the gearbox like other aspects of the car are part of its character.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Now covered 940 miles in two months on the rebuilt engine and gearbox. Took the car to GDC (Gary Cook) today where Gulio carried out the first post engine build service. The engine sounds really good, pulls very cleanly and starts easily. Really pleased with GDC who, apart from their extensive experience, are two nice guys with a can do attitude.
The gearbox has not got significantly easier in the last 100 miles but as a "dogleg" box it is never going to be like a 'hot knife through butter'. However, it slots into gear nicely and synchro on 1st is good to have.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

I do believe you are on the Instagram, Kirk.
(Instagram is something on the internet that kids were fond of, about 10 years ago)
Untitled.jpg
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

inaglasshouse wrote:I do believe you are on the Instagram, Kirk.
(Instagram is something on the internet that kids were fond of, about 10 years ago)
Untitled.jpg
Bugger! Who Instathinging an image of my vehicle. Can I demand image rights?
So Richard may I ask what you were doing playing on the kids social media?
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps