Timber frame garage: Natural Insulation

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Timber frame garage: Natural Insulation

Post by mrg3.6 »

Hi,

Having finally completed my oak frame/clad garage, I now need to install some insulation.

I plan to use a breathable membrane pinned to the timber sub-frame then 50mm wool insulation (which I guess qualifies me as an environmentalist) installed between battens finally sheathed with plywood or chip board.

Anyone used this combination of natural insulating materials (alternative to celotex/kingspan etc) and any recommendations on brand/type of membrane/wool insulation and best supplier?

Thx
Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
dogbower
DDK forever

Re: Timber frame garage: Natural Insulation

Post by dogbower »

I also have an oak framed garage. Went with kingspan type as I thought the sheep wool type would be very attractive to mice etc
I’m sure someone else will give good advice on alternatives, condensation is the thing to watch out for.
Good luck Stuart
1971 911E
1990 986S
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Not just mice but quite a wide variety of parasites by all accounts. I believe it’s quite easy to find good environmentally friendly insulators, but that it’s wise to find out how combustible some of it is.
markh
DDK slapper chatter

Post by markh »

I too have a timber framed garage and went with Kingspan sheets with plywood over the top. I didn't do the roof and also made sure the vents either end were nice and clear. Ten years so far with no condensation. I was advised at the time by the people who supplied it to seal the floor as that apparently helps prevent condensation from below as well.
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

The possible down side with sheep's wool or regular glass fibre insulation is that it can "slump" when installed vertically (ie gravity comes into play). Whilst Kingspan is certainly not environmentally friendly it is thermally efficient for any given thickness. It is also available at a much reduced cost if you look for "seconds" on the internet. It is easy to cut to get a tight fit if laid between joists or framing members.
Rust Never Sleeps
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

And the environmental impact of hill sheep farming is devastating once you start looking into it...
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Calling mycar. The man who always has wood on his mind!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
mycar

Post by mycar »

My heart beat a little faster there just for a moment as the word Timber appeared in the title. :)

But sheeps wool insulation ?

All I know is it can be expensive, it offers about half the insulation value of the same thickness Kingspan and if it gets wet, it never dries out.

But don't let me put you off.

Any pictures of the oak frame. ?
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

FWIW .... another vote for Kingspan
I used Kingspan for its efficiency and that I could 'stuff' it into nooks and crannies. Initially, I wanted the thermal efficiency of Celotex, but it would have been extortionately expensive, given the wastage of offcuts due to the odd pitches of the oak framed garage. I didn't use any membrane - the garage should be watertight and I didn't want membrane holding water/condensation against the inside of the outer wall. Only 3 years ago that I moved in (first thing I did after moving in was fit oak doors and line the garage :lol: ), but dry as a bone since (touch wood)
Peter
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
David Rooke
DDK addict

Post by David Rooke »

Watching this with interest. I built a Siberian larch frame and clad garage extension and have left it uninsulated for now but as winter in Scotland sets in I'm considering adding some wall insulation also. I'm torn as it will hide, to an extent, the lovely woodwork, but it's getting a wee bit nippy...
1966 912 | 1996 993 C4 | 2002 996 Turbo
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

The Romans’ used a ventilated floor with underfloor heating which also ducted directly up the walls and out of the roof vents for non-condensing internal conditions even in the baths at bath where there’s a lot of hot water about.

Surly warm stagnant air boxed into a single space containing cold things , like a car for instance, is a recipe for condensation? Would you be better to have the whistling cold Scottish air blowing through the garage and put a big jumper on. Isn’t that how the Contenentals dry season their wood for the winter fire? As long as you keep the rain out I’d say ventilation is the name of the game both under, around and on top of the building to reduce damp.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

You can’t go far wrong with Insulated building or industrial refrigeration panels. These are steel clad plasticoat kingspan filled construction panels. I’ve designed & built things using them many, many times on structures including deep freeze test chambers for Jaguar, climate controlled Veneer Stores for R-R, the new clean room to assemble phantom VIII dashboards, The chemical lab & store at Estee Lauder & even a clean room at EADS Astrium in Portsmouth to assemble satellites!
So impressed with the ease of construction (self supporting, span 6m and tongue & groove) they range from 50mm thick to 250mm. The plasticoat finish is hard wearing hygenic and just wipe down with a range of colours.
I’ve lined one of my garages at home with them. Just turn on the lights & you need to strip off…so good is the U value, you can park a car up, come back the following day & the heat from the engine is still contained within the garage!
They work out (if you install yourself) around £50 per m2, cut with a tipped skill saw. Do the maths as versus insulation & ply or plaster board plus decoration & labour it’s not that expensive. Plus you can create a cavity for the timber frame to breathe & there's NO upkeep required.
Pictures attached (ignore the cars, Gary put some goggles on, your willy waving hang-up may take an eye out) :wink:
panel1.JPG
panel2.JPG
panel3.JPG
@classiccarguru1
David Rooke
DDK addict

Post by David Rooke »

210bhp wrote: Surly warm stagnant air boxed into a single space containing cold things , like a car for instance, is a recipe for condensation? Would you be better to have the whistling cold Scottish air blowing through the garage and put a big jumper on.

Regards
Mike
:lol:

Yes, these were my thoughts too - but as it's built onto a 140 year old stone built former stable which holds its heat somewhat better the contrast is now, erm, uncomfortable and I'm open to suggestions.
1966 912 | 1996 993 C4 | 2002 996 Turbo
Hugh Jorgan
Married to the DDK

Post by Hugh Jorgan »

Look at Eco-therm, it's a very similar product to Celotex and kingspan but considerably less expensive.
They do a tongue and grooved, interlocking hard insulation board.
I'm just in the process of building another house and I've used it in the floors and walls.
I got it from a company in Lancashire who delivered it to me in Oxfordshire considerably cheaper than my local trade suppliers could.
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Wow - as ever a great DDK response :)

Consensus suggests I should reconsider my newly found environmental sheeps wool in favour of Kingspan et al :roll:

Thx
Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6