Alfa 4C

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

356boy
DDK slapper chatter

Alfa 4C

Post by 356boy »

Has anyone ever driven an Alfa 4C, reviews overall seem good, lovely looking car and prices seemed to have firmed up due to limited numbers. i like the idea that its back to basics.
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Alfa 4C

Post by Sam »

I really wanted one, until I drove one.

Everything the reviewers say about the steering being wooden is true. It's like slapping your way up the road on a scaffold board. I'm sure you'd get used to it, but it feels rotten after you've driven to the test drive in a 911.

And you can't get it in manual.

And once you start to look at the details you can tell it's a design that's been rushed into production on a budget.

The only reason I could find to get one over an Elise at half the price was rarity.

Depending on your view on price, weight, roof and long-distance comfort I'd also sooner have a Cayman, Boxster, Exige, Elise or Alpine.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

The thing that struck me as a passenger was how wide it seemed - not sure what it’s like to drive, might be an optical illusion
Also I kind of felt the engine was a bit of a cop out vs some of the wonderful na Alfa engines of the past
I think rarity aside, I’d be after an sc exige or even one of the newer v6 ones
356boy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 356boy »

i'm actually looking at the matte white launch edition one, race exhaust and suspension etc, i like the idea that it is minimalistic and think the design is pretty good, yes there are faults but i think it should be compared to the Exige and not the Cayman.
Does it feel under powered

Sam; where do you mean by " once you start to look at the details you can tell it's a design that's been rushed into production on a budget."
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

It’s not underpowered, and it’s a reasonably light car so goes well, but it sounds a bit dull compared to one of their warbly v6’s.. ..it felt like all the sound was in the exhaust system if you know what I mean, and none in the engine bay

If you’re compare it to an exige (assuming you’ve not experienced one) please go drive an exige - the s2 is epic, the supercharged s2 monstrous, and the new v6 is a serious piece of work.. if you don’t need the practicality of a roof try a 2-eleven (if you can find one) as they are MIND BLOWING*

*only ever driven one on track
Sam

Post by Sam »

356boy wrote:Sam; where do you mean by " once you start to look at the details you can tell it's a design that's been rushed into production on a budget."
The headlights mainly. Looks like no one told the designers there is a minimum legal height until the last minute and they just lifted them up 100mm and thought 'that'll do'.

The fit and finish isn't really production standard either.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
356boy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 356boy »

agree with the headlights, the one i am getting has those little lamps, not sure on them but they were standard on the launch edition
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

I test drove a 4C Spider about three years ago, I went determined to buy it as I thought it looked fantastic. I did five miles in it took it back and went and bought another Elise ( the sixth one I've owned) .

As I recall the 4C was about sixty grand, it bounced all over the road, tracked in any uneven surfaces and the handling was atrocious . I've done quite a lot of reading about them and appreciate that there are suspension upgrades available to correct handling "issues" ( I think the main one is done by Jamie Porter) but felt that a car of that price shouldn't need upgrades to make it controllable.

In addition as mentioned earlier, it's not available in manual but I was prepared to overlook that if it was a good car to drive - it wasn't !

Matt what you need is an Alfa SZ Zagato - just like the one I (may) have for sale ! ( more so if you've got a 105 step front you want to do a deal on )

Steve
Sam

Post by Sam »

356boy wrote: the one i am getting has those little lamps
They're marginally better.

Get a Lotus.
356boy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 356boy »

not a Lotus fan :roll:
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Very very good idea. ^^^^
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

I’d definitely drive an Alpine before committing to a 4C.

Are 4C prices definitely levelling? They’ve been gently dropping over the last year. I think they’ll get to £30k, maybe even £25k before they turn.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

If you've got the itch then why not scratch it :) .....quite a funky looking car for a modern.

Go for it :thumbleft:
356boy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 356boy »

looked at the Alpine but out of budget, agree i think they will drop to 30 before they turn, Launch Editions may hold a little better as there are some pcp financed cars coming to market but in basic form