Salt.

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Salt.

Post by mycar »

It's true, we've been gritted tonight here in not so Northern North Yorkshire.

Bloody hell, just as lovely autumn was getting under way. :evil:
hot66

Re: Salt.

Post by hot66 »

Yes... just got in tonight and I can confirm F****** salt down :(
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Nothing in Glasgow but it wouldn't make any difference as we are just waiting for 3 days of constant rain...
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Quick look back at our previous salt posts and it seems it’s a month early this year !
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

I’m old enough to be a father of most of you on here so I remember friends buying 911s new in the day and how terribly they rusted and in a surprisingly short time. 356s were almost valueless then and regarded as idiosyncratic in a world of Mini Coopers and Lotus Cortinas.

FWIW even R-R Silver Clouds were less well designed than 356s and worse rusters.

Therefore, not only have we stripped off and polished everything on the underside of my 356, but also we’ve renewed sills that didn’t need it and sprayed the insides with modern rubberised, anti rust coatings. The areas under the front and rear sections have been done too and still it’ll be cavity waxed again and even then I shan’t have the nerve to drive it once there’s salt on the roads.

Only recently have cars become almost impervious to corrosion. My much loved 987 was thirteen years old and rust free, but had to have rotted crossover and aircon pipes replaced at enormous cost despite a modest mileage and a cosseted existence.

Protecting old cars you intend to preserve, and they all need it, is incredibly difficult IMO.
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Saw a gritter out here on Friday! We’ve barely seen a frost yet, seems a bit over the top! If past performances are anything to go by they’ll have used up all their stocks by end of December just in time for the really bad weather to kick in, then they’ll struggle like hell to keep on top of it for the rest of winter.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I had a run out with the family to Beverly, and was surprised to see the outside lane of the M62 was white with salt.

FFS.

There was a huge argument on FB about salting the roads, but 90% of the posters were were firmly in favour of salting. Becoz safety.

I wasn't tempted to contribute. I will be hosing the car down thoroughly tomorrow. BAH.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
KS

Post by KS »

M5 in Devon was salted when I drove up early this morning...Temp had dropped to 3.5°C.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Well I got my car back on Thursday having gone away this time last year to have some winter fettling! It went round the local test route for about 8 miles on Thursday night and that's it. Away in the garage till the spring. 8 miles in a year FFS :evil:

Oh well bought some nice polish today, so that'll keep me busy for a day!

Graham
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

1 deg C here this morning in the West Midlands before setting off to Bicester, frost all over the Boxster, 12.5C when home, and no salt.
WHY does any salt need to be laid?
I thought all councils had no money??
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

gridgway wrote:Well I got my car back on Thursday having gone away this time last year to have some winter fettling! It went round the local test route for about 8 miles on Thursday night and that's it. Away in the garage till the spring. 8 miles in a year FFS :evil:

Oh well bought some nice polish today, so that'll keep me busy for a day!

Graham
Graham get yourself a can of ACF50 from Amazon. Used it on the motorbike for years. It is an anti rust spray for aircraft at sea. Spray this under the car before you head off and it will stop any corrosion and doesn't damage your paint or patina if you are that way inclined.
Scene tax
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Thanks very much, but I just can't face running a newly restored 49 year old car in the salt. I'm not unhappy with putting the cars away for the winter per se, just the slightly annoying circumstance of not getting any running done this year. I'll get over it!!
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

Just on my chips please.

Perhaps gritting has been privatised in some areas and the contractor gets paid per mile gritted?
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

You could write to your local council as gritting the roads with a deicer is bad for the environment as they won't care about your car.
But chloride in the Salt penetrates ground water as it doesn't bind so makes it way into rivers lakes and streams. It has the same effect as drought on trees and vegetation which given this summer people might want to avoid. If it doesn't rain the salt dust is more harmful if breathed in. There is a grit that isn't as corrosive as salt based but has metals and other harmful chemicals as binders.
Scene tax
mycar

Post by mycar »

It's all rather confusing... salt the roads on Sunday... it was nice on Monday and 22 degrees on Tuesday !

23 degrees today and rather balmy and at no time have we had a hint of frost. Scouting around the local roads, very few have been salted, a few major routes but no leafy lanes as far as I can tell.

So, business as usual, drove the long way home this evening taking in Fountains Abbey, Brimham Rocks and Menwith Hill.

Sorry, no photos... too busy hanging on. :)