'73 Coupe restoration - paint finish options

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

'73 Coupe restoration - paint finish options

Post by Flat 6 »

Hey all,

My '73 coupe is getting near paint stage (I will do a catchup resto story at some stage when time allows...).

The car is Sepia Brown. I blow hot and cold about that colour and did consider changing colour to Irish Green but I think I'm decided to keep it original. The main reason for this is that the rear wheel arches and engine bay are in really nice condition with the original stone chip finish and brown paint. Also, the interior is light brown with slightly darker seats, although that would have been fine with Irish Green.

Anyone think I am mad keeping it Sepia Brown??

My next query is about the final finish. I've not long finished a silver SC (now sold) and the final paint finish on it was kind of 'modern' in that it wasn't completely flat. The paint shop I use recommended that because it was metallic silver and that kind of finish looks best. I was happy enough with the finish anyway and I got what I wanted for the car so all good.

I think, though, that the finish on an early 70's solid colour car should be absolutely as flat and shiny as possible? That would presumably mean a fair bit more work in the prep - presumably not just in flatting and polishing the final colour coat but also at primer stage?

But I look at a lot of classic 911s at various events and there is a real variation in final finish. I'm wondering if I'm sweating this detail too much??

Any thoughts?

Al.
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: '73 Coupe restoration - paint finish options

Post by 210bhp »

Glasurit 22 line single stage in sepia would be fantastic.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

As an ex Sepia owner I think your choice is wise

My favourite pre 73 colour
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Sepia tends to be a bit of a Marmite colour. Personally I think it is a fine colour especially with the interior colour of your car.
Whilst Glasurit is reputedly a quality paint, I would not get hung up on that particular brand. There are several quality paints available. A paint finish is mostly about what lies underneath it. So preparation is obviously paramount.
Rust Never Sleeps
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

Thanks all. Sepia it is.

But what about final finish. Totally flat or is a very slight ripple as with modern cars OK??

Al.
DDK#732

210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

The very good chap who painted my shell recently asked me the same question, mirror finish or slight orange peel? He argued that a perfect finish would not be likely back in the day but if I wanted a ‘concours Pebble Beach’ finish he could do it. I opted for what might have been available back in the day, complete with intentional runs and flaws.

So, I suppose it’s up to you really. You could spend weeks deciding and then get a dirty big stone chip in the centre of the bonnet first day out so one consideration might be what finish is easier to match later on.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Best you update your resto thread then Mike

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

the ripple on a lot of modern cars is from the clearcoat - most companies don't do a decent job on it due to production time scales i guess. Some do - for example toyota always seem to have decent factory finish on their paint even on their smallest cars. BMW 7-series, Audi A8's, and some of the other larger cars have exceptional paint finishes - I don't know if they achieve this through different processes, materials or final finishing? Rolls Royce wet sand and polish everything, as do Morgan and some of the other more bespoke car companies..

If you take a look at the thread on recommissioning a 67S ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54063&hilit=recommission&start=135 ) you can see during and after pics of the paint, then some really good during and after wet sanding and polishing pics too.. It can give a perfect finish, but it does take time and effort!

HTH
Sam

Post by Sam »

> Sepia tends to be a bit of a Marmite colour.

Someone's been watering down your Marmite.

> the ripple on a lot of modern cars is from the clearcoat - most companies don't do a decent job on it due to production time scales i guess

This.

It takes too long and therefore costs too much to get a flat finish on factory produced cars.

Flat paint with lovely sharp reflections is always best. Anything less and you'll be talked about behind your back at Classics at the Castle.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

But can't you have both conditions, just not at the same time?

Get the car painted 'factory finish' so some peel. Doubt Porsche spent 1000's of £ and the hours to get the paint flat and deep lustre on every 911 they made in the '60's/'70s?

Live with it.
If you can't, then flat the peel out and mirror shine, and drive in fear of any car passing or in front of you.

In this day and age, original colour is best on a valuable car, ie stock spec (IMHO)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

210bhp wrote:The very good chap who painted my shell recently asked me the same question, mirror finish or slight orange peel? He argued that a perfect finish would not be likely back in the day but if I wanted a ‘concours Pebble Beach’ finish he could do it. I opted for what might have been available back in the day, complete with intentional runs and flaws.

So, I suppose it’s up to you really. You could spend weeks deciding and then get a dirty big stone chip in the centre of the bonnet first day out so one consideration might be what finish is easier to match later on.

Regards
Mike
From 1969 to the late 1970s I worked in walking distance of AFN in Isleworth just up the road in Hounslow. Also had a good friend that worked at AFN. Consequently saw quite a few new and used 911s. Yes the paint finish was no better than many cheaper cars available at the time. Also panel gaps could be described as "inconsistent". Does this mean Mike that your Targa has a smattering of inconsistent panel gaps to go with the dribbles on the paintwork? ?
Rust Never Sleeps
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

BILLY BEAN wrote:
210bhp wrote:The very good chap who painted my shell recently asked me the same question, mirror finish or slight orange peel? He argued that a perfect finish would not be likely back in the day but if I wanted a ‘concours Pebble Beach’ finish he could do it. I opted for what might have been available back in the day, complete with intentional runs and flaws.

Regards
Mike
From 1969 to the late 1970s I worked in walking distance of AFN in Isleworth just up the road in Hounslow. Also had a good friend that worked at AFN. Consequently saw quite a few new and used 911s. Yes the paint finish was no better than many cheaper cars available at the time. Also panel gaps could be described as "inconsistent". Does this mean Mike that your Targa has a smattering of inconsistent panel gaps to go with the dribbles on the paintwork? ?
It has a few inaccuracies Mr Bean, all planned, but outer panel gapping I had no control over so they are perfect. :cheers:
The ‘used’ look will have to be achieved in other areas. I hope it’s a nice balance in the end.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Mine is inauthentically gapped and inauthentically shiny. Way better than the factory used to achieve (as you might hope - I doubt the factory spent 250 hours on prep, paint and colour sanding). Just my preference - start perfect and add my own patina.
I did take a fair bit of care with the textures and colours of stonechip, seam sealer etc, so the non-shiny bits are factory-looking.
With a few stone chips and some dirt it will start to look a bit less over-restored.
Like Mike, in other areas I'm re-using stuff with patina (instruments, steering wheel, etc). Might look like a dog's breakfast initially, but things will gel with time I reckon.
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

Bootsy wrote:Image
Nice photo - is that yours Bootsy?

That's 'S' trim right? Mine will have standard front bumper and insert fogs. Not sure yet about the over-riders but I think they would have been standard on the US T, albeit in black rubber. I have chrome over-riders with black rubber strips for the rear but I think the front might start to look too busy with fogs and over-riders.

Also, not sure about the wheel-arch trims - don't think they would have been standard on a 'T'. Mine does have the deeper 'S' sill trims though - they could of course have been added at any time in its US life.

Veering badly into new thread here!!!

Al.
DDK#732