Flares....

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

DustyM
I need to get out more!

Re: Flares....

Post by DustyM »

Looks fantastic Darren, your painter should be proud of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Hi Darren,
Just caught up with this. Your car looks fabulous. I loved the amazing attention to detail on those oil coolers. Superb.

Kind regards
Gitesh
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

hot66 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:05 pm What are the detail differences between your arches and turbo arches ?
It would seem that for many years turbo flares were fitted to RS reps as that was all you could buy and front and rear bumpers were moulded to suit. A wide body Turbo does looks great but nothing like as sexy as an RS imo 8)

This has been posted many, many times.....

Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

DustyM wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:54 am Looks fantastic Darren, your painter should be proud of that.
....agree Jon and thank you, high praise indeed coming from a man of your experience :)

I'll show him your comment and quality of what you do.....it'll make him prouder still 8)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

911GP wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 pm Just caught up with this. Your car looks fabulous. I loved the amazing attention to detail on those oil coolers. Superb.
Thanks Gitesh, I appreciate the kind words.

Glad you like the coolers, a run of 2.8 RSR coolers will be joining them soon! :wink:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

hot66 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:05 pm What are the detail differences between your arches and turbo arches ?
....also worth noting that 3.0RS arches were taken from the 2.8 RSR that came before and just modded to suit........no two are the same! :thumbleft:

Cheers,
Darren65

Whale Tail

Post by Darren65 »

The final item needed to complete the shell was the Whale Tail. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I acquired one of the original prototype tails that were fitted to the IROC cars however with the introduction of the 3.0 RS/RSR these Group 4 tails had acquired a rubber outer lip rather than being solid and this is what I really wanted.

Naturally I would have liked an original item however these are nigh on impossible to find and I was slightly put off from the one source that mentioned they could help by the £10K quotation! :shock:

I noted at CLM this year that all bar one of the RS/RSR cars competing simply chose to paint on the lip or use vinyl. I guess this is of minor importance on a race car but it looks kinda pants and the decision is a definite twenty-footer!....

...the original tails have a distinct edge where the fibreglass and lip join and obviously a textured rubber finish to the lip itself...

Wanting to do a little more than simply paint the lip on we decided to use a reproduction tail from EB motorsport and set about trying to create a defining edge where the fibreglass and lip meet....

...looking pretty good by the time it got to undercoat....

...it looked even better by the time it reached colour, but not according to Chris who decided to paint it again! :roll: ....

....for the lip itself we decided to use a Teroson undercoat which is a textured rubber finish that doesn't need overpainting...

...and tested a few variations to obtain the ideal texture....

...and after some careful masking to the centre of the groove....

...the end result turned out pretty good....

...not original and not perfect but more a five-footer rather than a twenty-footer and good enough that most people won't notice it's not a genuine item!

Overall very pleased with the outcome :)

Cheers,
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Flares....

Post by matteo68 »

Great job, Darren! You set the bar very high with these projects but it only serves to inspire me to achieve the same exemplar standards on mine!
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
Northy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Northy »

Looks amazing Darren. Added bonus of not using a rubber tail is the added lightness!
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Very nicely done Darren.
The force is strong in this one ......
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

You should have kept this to yourself Darren - at least for the time being - to see if anyone noticed (or questioned you about it) ... :wink:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Great workmanship. I'm quite fond of the aftermarket whale tail on my long hood car, because it's part of the car's history. I might have to follow in your footsteps to improve the finish on the black part.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

matteo68 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:35 pm Great job, Darren! You set the bar very high with these projects but it only serves to inspire me to achieve the same exemplar standards on mine!ImageImage
...thanks Matt, no doubt your build is going to be phenomenal and very special 8)
Northy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:49 pm Looks amazing Darren. Added bonus of not using a rubber tail is the added lightness!
...thanks, hadn't thought of that but glad you mentioned it! :P
Lightweight_911 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:07 pmYou should have kept this to yourself Darren - at least for the time being - to see if anyone noticed (or questioned you about it) ... :wink:
....yes but I think you might have! :wink:

Thanks for all the kind words chaps :thumbleft:

Cheers,
Sam

Post by Sam »

I really love that spoiler detail. A fab solution very well executed.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Great bit of work … I’d have never known it wasn’t original
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)