Repaint, 2nd time round, 73T

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Repaint, 2nd time round, 73T

Post by defianty »

Nice job Graham. You've turned this around in less time than my car has been at paint. :lol:

Well done.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Good result and great thread
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Great project. I just can't believe that you keep such a note of the costs. I have no idea what I have spent on my 911 over the last 15 years and don't want to know :)

BTW this is partly down to memory lose as the engine built took 7+ years!
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Fantastic achievement and I too have enjoyed the thread
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you all for the kind thoughts.

In doing this little job on the car it has made me look hard at 30 years of my non-working life and the role it has played.
Seeing the details of the original restoration of my £3000 purchase up close, seeing how the car had locally deteriorated in a few places that were previously sound, and seeing up close the RHD conversion I did in 2 weeks over a Xmas holiday.

Looking at details in one of the re-build photo albums a few of which I've shared on the thread is a welcome glimpse down memory lane. That picture of the car outside Bob's place was the first time I've looked at it after putting it in the album!

This is a car I am very attached to.
The joy of the rebuild in '89, the first shake-down run to deep Wales, my first hill climb and the 13 years of using the car this way, 3 engines and some long standing friendships forged from the very start, one being a DDK'r.

The recent perceived threat of the Modified legislation and the possible negative issues for the car and my angry reaction may now be understandable, but all in the past.

I look forward to many trips to Oulton Park, to Silverstone and lots of other places to put more miles on this car, and to discovering the first stone chips when I wash it soon!

70,000 miles in a 911 in 28 years.

I love that fact, and hope to do some more in decades to come before my petrol head daughter inherits the car that used to take her to school, to the hill climbs, and nearly to her wedding.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Lovely thread, Graham, many thanks for sharing.

I shall refrain from comment on the total costs :drunken:

BTW I vote cookie cutters. Those old photos are nostalgic treasure, and I think it would be great to have the car back looking the same.

Best wishes, Richard.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

What a fabulous job you have done there and I love that you have so many good memories of the car over the years. Bravo.
The force is strong in this one ......
markh
DDK slapper chatter

Post by markh »

End result looks great - a credit to all your hard work! Have enjoyed reading through it all.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

911hillclimber wrote: Image
Looks awesome. I don't know why you would think it was the worst car on DDK as it's up there with all of them. In fact its a perfect DDK car, hot rodded and used the hell out of.

Cars are not all just about how they look, they are about how personal they are and the memories they have made and yours is overflowing with them and now looks the part also.

It goes to show you can repaint your car on a budget also, all the £15k+ Porsche Indy paint job quotes make me laugh...

Maybe a 2019 new years resolution could be to stop worrying about everything and being negative - as the ginger virgin says you are here for a good time, not a long time!

Enjoy your car this year :thumbright:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Very wise words from 964!

The Cookies go down to the local wheel shop today, all 5 of them for an acid strip, sand blast and powder coat of Old Fashioned Silver as the wippersnapper lad described it, sounds just right to me. :)

found some alum washers to stop the banjo petrol weep today, surprisingly hard to get so got 4 to have 2 in stock.

Some watery errands to do on the Boxster next....
Then prep the hill climb car...
Then get that bloody French Follie of a motorbike running and sold.

Thank you all for the comments. :drunken:
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
SeanP
I luv DDK!

Post by SeanP »

A great thread and a great result. Well done

Always enjoy seeing your car at the events.

Now can we get back to the little French bike :lol: :cheers: :)
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s
sladey

Post by sladey »

Car looks great. I agree with Andy’s comments on the Fuchs - I’m sure you could go polished petals even though they are replicas - think it would look great. You could do it once you’ve got the cookies on the car and then have one set for winter and one for summer
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Winter!?
This old thing has slept every October to April for nearly 3 decades, but 1/2 of those years was under a tarp outside while other cars were pampered.

The adage centres are rough cast, so are the rims.
I'll leave them clean but original, they have never been re painted, still have the steel valves when fitted in about 1988.
Cookies back on Monday, pics will follow. :)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Well done Graham, the car looks really great.

Always good to read restorations based on a strict budget, always more challenging and rewarding..

Now you have a little more spare time you could always help Gary with his welding marathon!
Alternatively I know of an orange car in Hampshire that needs some of your rebuild magic. :wink:

Here's to 30 more years of fun!

Andrew
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Ha!
I can't teach Gary anything on this restoration malarkey, he is far too patient to make a bad job of it, and has all the skills needed.

Setting the Budget at £5k forced some moves that I wish I had not made, BUT, this is no perfect 911, never was.
Just a little modified 911 with a big heart that has delivered all I ever wanted from the experience which was inspired by watching Josh Saddler scream up Shelsley Walsh in the late 80's to win the Midland Hill Climb Championship being chased by Nigel Garland and others, real club motorsport.

I had originally set aside £10K, but the £6k 'saved' will do 2 Euro tours albeit in the Boxster, but we would like the experiences of Europe more than a 'perfect' paint surface, far better value.

I really could not image what this is like as a profession day in, day out.
It was hard work but the Budget was always the driver, glad I had that in mind. Shame it took longer than I had expected, touch of a silly cold and a crumpled knee slowed me down, and I'm 30 years older too! :shock:

I'm looking forward to getting the race car back and prepared, that is a LOT easier than this mini adventure. :)

I'm very please people have enjoyed it, I have wondered at times as I went along, but I do not expect to do it again. :lol:

Now, 1989, what could possibly go wrong?

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9