Repaint, 2nd time round, 73T

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I'm starting this thread so to keep some motivation along the way to simply repaint my 73T, just the outside surfaces.

I repainted it in a pale yellow, in 1989, in cellulose in a single car garage after 8 months of very part-time welding in all the usual places.
Originally a green rather like Gary71's, came to me in Guards Red over rust and filler.
I wanted to paint it DIY again, but the world has moved on, next doors are different and all that.

I have found a local paint shop who will paint DIY prepped cars, that is, bare metal and stripped of glass etc, 3 coats of 2K primer and coats of 2k colour. The car's colour is a solid one, no glossy clear coat.
I will glass-out, paint stripped off etc and deliver the car ready for them around November 2018.
They have painted (this way) several friends cars so I've seen the results and I'm happy.

The car is no 'Barry shell, matching No's etc' just an old 911 with some mods., not worth much, but after 30 years of ownership I'm a bit attached to it.

So, the objective is:

2 new wings on the front.
The car wears it's original OS wing, the NS wing is 3 other wing parts welded together after a hillclimb incident....I have 2 new Dansk wings, wish me luck.

Steel bonnet back on.
As an ex-hillclimb car, it has an Autofarm glass bonnet, that was used after a hill climb incident in about 1996 as a temporary measure....

Small rust spots sorted.
The doors are not the best, and need a few small 40 x 40 rust spots sorted. The skins are Dansk and awful profile. I hope the wings will match them well, and I can get better panel gaps.

Smooth some bumps out.
It has 28 years of use on the shell; some hillclimb dings I will leave in the car as it is it's and my history.

New glass in the front, save the rest (if I can)
All seals were OEM in '89 and fit, so I want to keep these. The glass has chips and gravel rash, so a nice new one with top tint will be a treat. I'll get the fitter to fit the rear at the same time.

Another fibre glass front bumper (sourced cheaply at the Bainbridge autojumble)
The front bumper was an Autofarm part from '89 and has a few hillclimb incidents 'written' all over it, easier to have another than repair 1001 gell coat cracks.

Change/re-position the door mirrors to improve the RHD visibility (car was LHD)
I have Durant mirrors, but might use the racing mirrors I bought from Andy at the Autojumble, not too sure. The driver's Durant is set too far back to be really useful.

Keep the Wabasto sunroof.
The car came to me with an awful flat glass aftermarket tilt sunroof fitted which deformed the roof panel. I cut the hole even bigger to allow the roof to resume the correct shape and modified an MGB GT Wabasto folding cloth sun roof which could be formed to suit the roof curve. I contemplated welding an insert into the large hole at this stage, but that is hard to source, so will leave things alone.

New number plates!

Result wanted is a simple good paint job, same colour (taken off the car) that I'm not worried about getting grazed or chipped, just as long as I'm having fun in it, in fact, I want it to be as I first did it!

Work starts next week when the Oulton Gold Cup has been visited on Monday in the car. Plan is to get it all done by March 2019 or well before. I'm retired now so have no money and lots of time, in '89 I had no money and no time. :wink:

I will be needing some advice on pre-paint treatments, ie stone chip, but will be ok on the rest. :lol: and I'll copy the good bits Gary discovers, I wish he would hurry up.

The car bodily has never been apart bar the wing disaster since I re-assembled it in late '89, and for the last 28 years it has rarely been caught out in the rain, 14 years as a hill climb 911, 3 engines and 2 gearbox changes and of course the LHD to RHD conversion in 1991/2.
Original it is not.

Imageimage upload site

Late 1988, £3000 911T a real basket case.

Imageupload photos

Daughter is now 33 years old....

Last edited by 911hillclimber on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Re: Repaint, 2nd time round, 73T

Post by Gary71 »

Good luck Graham, Hopefully it won’t escalate during the process!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Ha!
When does that ever happen?! :blackeye:

I have a 4 to 5K budget for the lot, that should stop too much migration.
Oh, and a wife who will be bean-counting too.... :(
This re-paint was her idea would you believe.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Since when does setting a budget stop escalation!
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

Get rid of that sun roof now, at any cost. It will pay you many times over to do it .
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

A few years ago I did have a solid SC roof with pillars to cut for the infill but sold it to a guy in the south as it was taking up a lot of space.
I've fill roof openings before FAR larger than the 911's, but I need a steel dome to start with, hard to find now.
A glue-on plastic one would be worse than the fabric roof, so that is not an option.

IIRC Fenn Lane do an insert in steel, but only to delete the factory roof panel. The hole is about 880mm wide, 690mm long.

Anyway, when did anyone last see a 911 with a fabric sun roof? I think they were a dealer fit option using Golde parts.
A steel insert would mean a new liner and wires, I don't have the bow wires, so more messing about with piano wire. Doesn't encourage me TBH.

I think I'll have a bit to chew on my plate getting all those Dansk curves/gaps to come together....some lead loading coming up.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Put up a wanted ad? Maybe there is still the odd racer/weight obsessive removing theirs? You’ve a 33 year wide window of 911s to chose from!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I said this was not going to escalate!

This is the hole that needs filling. Wanted ad just placed...

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2590751886

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1665704769

Put these two auctions together and you get a new roof and keep a proper sunroof.

Easy :)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

As if!
I've seen those just searching. I'll see if a real roof from a non sun roof car comes up on here.
There must be a roached out shell somewhere?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

https://youtu.be/3WW7Ol0g078

Step by step video I spotted the other week whilst browsing rusty 911s!
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

I think it's a good move to consider doing the roof now whilst you're at it.

I know Douglas Valley Breakers have had bad press on here but they always seem to have shells in their yard - why don't you call them up?
keith fellowes
DDK forever

Post by keith fellowes »

Graham, solid roof is the way to go. You know it makes sense.
Doesn't Chris F have a roof panel kicking about?
barryb
I luv DDK!

Post by barryb »

Hi

And so the money pit opens :wink:

Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupé
1960 MGA 1600
1950 MG TD
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster
Member# 661
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Well, never thought the roof would wake some up!
I think the Fenn Lane panel is to replace the factory metal roof, the hole I have is 2x the area and far more curvaceous, hence looking for a real roof skin.

When I have made changes to all my cars, I try to make a good visual change to mark the occasion so to speak. Getting a steel roof would work.
I've had a few good pm's so I'm hopeful.

DV breakers crop up on eBay, and some of the shells look like donors, worth a call, thank you.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9