2.0L Cup Round 2 Dijon

Any Porsche events or other related car events you know of please post them here

Moderators: hot66, Helen, abm914

pht9
DDK forever

2.0L Cup Round 2 Dijon

Post by pht9 »

Not had a chance lately to update those that follow with interest my exploits in the 2.0L Cup - so here goes.....

We pitched up at Dijon without the benefit of a pre-race test. There were 2 test sessions on the Thursday, but that meant leaving home on the Tuesday, and returning a week later, so could not really afford the time

So, first practice session, out we ventured. What a Circuit, fast, undulating. Pictures don't do it justice, you really have to sample the on-track experience to appreciate such a wonderful venue, and very much unchanged since its Seventies F1 heydays

I reported in the last event that we struggled with a constant misfire at Spa, back at base after the event, we changed everything on the electrical circuit, and to our relief the engine ran sweet all weekend. First practice, we ended the session fastest :) - so the possibility of a podium looked possible

Into Qualifying and my plan was just to do the minimum laps to qualify and bang in a couple of fast laps to set grid position, and look after the car and tyres for the race. Well, that plan was well and truly thwarted as it started to rain about 30 minutes prior to our exit onto the track !

As we headed out, it had stopped raining, but the circuit was wet and drying fast, as it was close to 30 degrees ambient. I'd only fuelled enough for 10 laps, so my plan to run the minimum of laps, was compromised. Too late to add fuel, and having ventured out onto the circuit, it was obvious that a drying line started to appear. Also, as we were circulating black clouds were prominent on the horizon, and it was very possible that it would rain again !!
This was the time to set the fast lap, I pushed and was P1 for most of the session, each lap got faster and faster. After 15 mins, I pitted (30 minute session) and was comfortably P1, I waited to see what the weather would do. The threatening clouds did not deliver the anticipated rain, so each lap the track was faster and faster.
I knew that I was marginal on fuel, but considered that I had enough for two more flying laps. Out I went, and the first attempt I was baulked by a slower car, the next lap, I was 0.8 seconds up on my previous, but then 3/4 way through the lap, splut splut splut :oops: - yes, out of fuel, and my best time set much earlier in the session was only good enough for P3 - OK, I'll take that, its a 90 min race, and we are at the pointy end...

So, to the race. We have rolling starts, and I was P3, felt like I was in a good position to make a place up by the first corner. As the lights changed, I was not quite in the sweet spot of the engine, the power band is quite narrow on a 2.0 race engine, around 2500rpm of usable torque and power. I was probably 500 rpm shy of where it should be, and got mugged up the inside into the first corner, then baulked a little mid corner so my P3 was now P5 :oops:

I managed to gain a place back after a few corners, then had a monumental battle with Martin O'Connell for P3. It took me around 5 laps to pass him, and we had lots of side by side action, tough but fair

I then had enough pace to catch Mark Bates for P2 who was a good few seconds up the road by this time, but Mark staunchly defended the position, lap after lap we battled nose to tail, side by side, but I could not pass. I decided as the pit window was open, to pit earlier than planned, and try and get out in 'clean air' and gain the position with some fast laps. The plan worked and I raced to the flag to finish P2. Tough race, as the circuit is pretty demanding, and 90 minutes in the heat was energy sapping.

The little 2.0 performed admirably, my rear anti-roll bar linkage broke mid race and lap times suffered a bit, but no misfires and a very satisfying result

Congrats to Olly Bryant and Andrew Smith for their win, thats their second in a row now after Spa as well - they'll take some beating !

For those who like looking at Porsche racing pictures - you're in luck !

Thanks for the interest, next and final round at Paul Ricard 2/3 September

ImageDSC_2037 by tech 9 motorsport, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0869 by tech 9 motorsport, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0753 by tech 9 motorsport, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0709 by tech 9 motorsport, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0577 by tech 9 motorsport, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2541 by tech 9 motorsport, on Flickr
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 2.0L Cup Round 2 Dijon

Post by neilbardsley »

Cool thank you for sharing

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Great write-up and lovely pics. Well played on the P2 result, and thanks for posting.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Yes, thanks for the write up and wonderful pictures. Great result for you
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Great effort and the rewards are there, lovely pictures too, makes it all the more dramatic!

Trust this series will run next year too, good excuse for a mini run into Europe. :)

Good luck for the final.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Mike

Post by Mike »

Looks great Phil well done! How did it work with the series and Le Mans Classic weekend, wasn’t the Porsche Classic race including cars from the 2.0 cup series?
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
hot66

Post by hot66 »

how do all the cars compare performance wise .. very similar or can you tell some are quicker cars than others ( ignoring the drivers )
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Mike wrote:Looks great Phil well done! How did it work with the series and Le Mans Classic weekend, wasn’t the Porsche Classic race including cars from the 2.0 cup series?

Different weekend I think Mike.

Great pictures Phil

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
pht9
DDK forever

Post by pht9 »

hot66 wrote:how do all the cars compare performance wise .. very similar or can you tell some are quicker cars than others ( ignoring the drivers )
I have some interesting in-car footage that will show some differences in performance :roll: , I'll try and edit it and upload
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

Great effort Phil and thanks for the pictures.
Dijon circuit is a belter. Been at least 15 years since I've done it myself but have fond memories. That long uphill start finish straight must have felt like it went on for ever in the 2 litres.
Sounds like 2nd place was hard won. Well done.
Andrew
'72 914/6GT (first love!)
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
'73 911 2.8RSR (some time in the near future)
'67 911R 2.0 twin plug (sometime, maybe, never?)
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

Thanks for taking time to post your report and pix, iIt looks great racing. I enjoyed the LMC Porsche race, but of course there's a huge variety of cars in that one. Having said that it appears some of these identical 2.0s are more equal than others...
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Phil will have his own views, but I believe the bigger differences - by far - are between the drivers rather than the cars. The cars can have slightly different engine specs and gearing, so they can do slightly different things at different points in a lap, but it's the drivers that make the biggest difference. Kudos to Phil
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

one-two wrote:Phil will have his own views, but I believe the bigger differences - by far - are between the drivers rather than the cars. The cars can have slightly different engine specs and gearing, so they can do slightly different things at different points in a lap, but it's the drivers that make the biggest difference. Kudos to Phil
Sorry, i just re-read my post and I hope it didn't sound like I was questioning Phil's ability, as that certainly wasn't my intention.
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

Brilliant race report and wonderful photos - just wonderful to get an insiders view on the race series and what it's like to race a 'modern' Porsche with disk brakes! Great effort and looking forward to the next report.... Cheers, Steve
'53 356 Pre-A (a box of bits!)
'54 Okrasa/Porsche/VW special
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper
'70 911S (2.3 ST Le-Mans spec engine)

http://www.pushrod.org

http://www.classicporschemag.co.uk
Sam

Post by Sam »

I reckon setting up Solexes to make 180+bhp and getting the motor to last a race is as much an art form as the driving is.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.