Comparing the Datsun 240Z to a 73T hotrod?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

sng45
DDK rules my life!

Re: Comparing the Datsun 240Z to a 73T hotrod?

Post by sng45 »

smallspeed wrote:
sng45 wrote:
mrk wrote:I fancy one of MZR’s constructions...gorgeous details....

http://mzr-roadsports.com/en/
I know them really well, Rahail has done a lot of work on my 240. My car is a bit of a "hot rod", extended arches, wider wheels, turbo toy technics suspension imported from the states, sports seats, straight through exhaust etc. Great looking car and great fun to drive. It's featured on the MZR Instagram page, aerial shot and looks ace. I've spoken to him at length about buying their press car when it becomes available, after EVO, Classic and Sports car etc have had a go in it !
Is this yours? Looks awesome 8)
I still have nightmares about the first time I stripped one of those engines for a rebuild in a former life - never seen so many gears :D

Yeah that's my car. Had a lot of work done to it - new suspension, exhaust, carbs, interior etc, etc
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Love how Japanese it looks - the colour, wheels, arches.. cracking :)
DarthMJH
I luv DDK!

Post by DarthMJH »

Is a 260z much different / not as desirable?
Mike
1973 RHD 911T
1995 993 C4
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

The 240 is the one that Johnny Public talks about, but really a 260 is just as good a car, it has a slightly longer stroke engine, so a bit more torque, but otherwise it's essentially the same.

There are some minor trim changes and the later 260s came with the "flat top" SUs which are considered to be not quite as good as the original "round top" ones.

The US market had two seater 280Zs, while in the UK it came as the less desirable 2+2 model.

Like Porsches, some RHD cars have been brought from Australia.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
mrk
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrk »

sng45 wrote:
mrk wrote:
sng45 wrote:
I know them really well, Rahail has done a lot of work on my 240. My car is a bit of a "hot rod", extended arches, wider wheels, turbo toy technics suspension imported from the states, sports seats, straight through exhaust etc. Great looking car and great fun to drive. It's featured on the MZR Instagram page, aerial shot and looks ace. I've spoken to him at length about buying their press car when it becomes available, after EVO, Classic and Sports car etc have had a go in it !
Totally get that...stunning work and really clean, crisp designs. They look just right and totally ‘finished’.
What sort of price range are they at that level?
Too much ! Somewhere between £85 - £100,000 depending on spec' however they are very much a "Singer" quality of conversion and MZR have had numerous components made from scratch, carbon mirrors, billet wheels, modified 2.8 litre injection engines etc. Very similar quality to the "Alfaholics" 105 step front conversions and "Singer" 911's.I think they build the highest quality "restomod" 240's available, and they are great people to deal with. I'm very much an advocate and looking forward to reading the magazine reviews.
Is that this one? ....

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... 72/8332223

Sweeeeeeeet! 8) 8)
Best

Matt

2015 Bowler Defender #50
BMW M3 Touring
BMW X3
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

Sort of !

I'm interested in the pastel green car shown on their website ( and at the NEC last Nov) - got some really "trick" bits on it - six speed gearbox etc
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

:cheers:
Scene tax
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

8)
fcd911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by fcd911 »

I owned a low miles (20K) late ’73 (M) 240Z for two years from 1977-79. A great car, long legged, comfortable, covered the ground quickly (for the time) and with the hatch an excellent practical means of transport, one of my favourites. If I remember correctly the increase of 200cc (260Z) was said to blunted the responsiveness and made the car feel slightly “lazy”

They were surprisingly expensive when new and it felt like quiet a large car at the time, but today they do look tiny.

One thing though - it is no 911 substitute.

John
DDK Member: 0471
1973 911S 2.4 Targa RHD (34 years ownership)
1973 911T (RS Rep) 2.7 RHD Rally Car (911/83 etc)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thought you had one in the past John.
The 260Z is a price very different to the 240Z, and here on the UK roads I doubt you would feel any difference in performance? Datsun must have made the change for some reason.

Maybe it is me just changing with age, or the way I use the 911 I have and certainly all the issues surrounding my car on Q plate/ substantially modified/ tax/MoT and all the chaos now surrounding these things for me that I feel I want out, and the 240/260 seems a good alternative for my outlook on classic ownership, something bog standard and RHD.

Everyone seems so satisfied with their 911's on here. I'm the only one that feels something is missing from mine, and I think it may be the engine, or all the issues above or I've simply had it tooooo long. I'm tired of the '911 Thing', a change is as good as a rest.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Graham .. in all honesty ..

1. You're over thinking / worrying ref teh MOT Q plate thing. IMHO, worst case for you is you'll have to MOT it .. which we all agree is no bad thing for old cars. Point being , dont worry.

2. Most people I know go through a thought process of wether they should change their 911 .....After 15 years of ownership I regularly think of changing my 2.4S for something .. and at the value of a 2.4S i have a pretty wide range of things I could swap it for .. but , I walk back into the garage and every time I think what a great lookng car .... then I take it for a thrash around the lanes , might not be as quick as some cars I've had , but I ALWAYS come back from a drive having enjoyed it more , just the whole process of actually having to 'drive' a car quickly with a peaky high reving engine ( makes my 964 motor seem lazy ) . I can't think of anything that gives me the same overall experience and if need be, be able to home mechanic on .... of course next time its not running right etc I'll want to sell it again :lol:

3. 240Z's are very cool. I have a close friend in the village with one & my friend Mick Cliff on here has his. I'd love one, but for me maybe as an addition at this stage rather than replacement. If you're getting to the point where youre maybe wanting to 'slow down ' on the roads , want something less extreme and maybe enjoy the ride then maybe it would be a good replacement, but then youve got the boxster for those nice afternoon runs out so where would it fit in
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

911hillclimber wrote: I've simply had it tooooo long. I'm tired of the '911 Thing', a change is as good as a rest.
Decision made. Time to start selling / buying
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
fcd911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by fcd911 »

James

Well said.

I wholeheartedly agree on all three points, particular no 2 - spot on.

John
DDK Member: 0471
1973 911S 2.4 Targa RHD (34 years ownership)
1973 911T (RS Rep) 2.7 RHD Rally Car (911/83 etc)
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

hot66 wrote:Graham .. in all honesty ..

1. You're over thinking / worrying ref teh MOT Q plate thing. IMHO, worst case for you is you'll have to MOT it .. which we all agree is no bad thing for old cars.
My rep comes into to the "highly modified" group,so just to clarify,if I keep mot'ing car,(which I would be doing anyway), nothing really changes?
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

hot66 wrote:...240Z's are very cool. ...If you're getting to the point where you're maybe wanting to 'slow down ' on the roads , want something less extreme and maybe enjoy the ride then... it would be a good replacement....
Nail....head....hit
Spot on James!
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less