Donington Historic Festival for the first time. Tips? Meet?

Any Porsche events or other related car events you know of please post them here

Moderators: hot66, Helen, abm914

Black Betty
DDK slapper chatter

Donington Historic Festival for the first time. Tips? Meet?

Post by Black Betty »

Okay guys,

I will be visiting the Donington Historic Festival ( http://www.doningtonhistoric.com/ ; on the 4th, 5th and 6th of May) this year for the first time.

I have been planning for this trip for quite some time now, bought tickets and booked the ferry a few months ago. Initially there were more than 8 fellow Dutch (and Belgian) petrolheads that were interested; unfortunately all -for lots of different reasons- can't join me, so I will be visiting alone...

So, because it's my first time to Donington Historic Festival I have a few questions for my fellow DDK-ers:

- are there any tips, must sees or must do's?
- are there any DDK-ers visiting?
- if you do, would you appreciate meeting?

Although I will be visiting alone, I'm really lookin' forward to this trip. I always enjoy visiting GB (this year 3 times Goodwood and in July I will be doing the North Coast 500)...

Greetings,
Antoine

It's better to burn out, than to fade away
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Donington Historic Festival for the first time. Tips? Me

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Access to the event, is in my experience, usually trouble free with little queuing. The event has open paddock and pit garages so you can get up close to all cars. Usually you will not be able to take your own car into the in-field unless you have booked in conjunction with a recognised car club. If you have not done so then you will park in the public car park (a field). There are plenty of good places to view the racing including a small grandstand.
The food on site is pretty poor so be prepared to be disappointed. The museum is worth a vist and in addition there is usually an area for rally cars which is worth a look if you are interested in this particular sport. Last year the attendance at the event appeared to be much less than in previous years. The racing is usually very good with an excellent range of cars but not much Porsche content. Hopefully you will enjoy it.
Rust Never Sleeps
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Not one of the best circuits for spectating ... I personally don't enjoy the event so don't go anymore. Circuit can feel pretty exposed so make sure you've got the clothing etc. Definitely better if you can get infield club parking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Not one of the best circuits for spectating ... I personally don't enjoy the event so don't go anymore. Circuit can feel pretty exposed so make sure you've got the clothing etc. Definitely better if you can get infield club parking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

As a long-time DDK'er I'll be visiting this historic for the first time on the Saturday (only).
Not with a Porsche but with the Z Club - likely to be a good turnout of Datsun 240Z's which in itself is, apparently, unusual.
My Z is a dark green one.
As noted, the museum is worth a good look and I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the rally cars.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less