21st Century Outlaw 997 Project

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Re: 21st Century Outlaw 997 Project

Post by Darren C »

To make the mold I had to work out the joint lines to release it. There are so many returns in 3D that it proved a tricky ask.
Also with the Porsche 991 interchangeable valance framework in there, that was quite complex on its own. Fortunately I've made many body parts in the past, building up experience over the years & know a few good local folks down here on the Southcoast in the Yacht building industry to pick their brains too.

Once the mold lines were worked out, the perimeter of the bumper required shuttering to make the end/edge of the mold itself.
This was done in timber, ply & MDF
Bumpmold1.JPG
bumpmold2.JPG
bumpmold3.JPG
Again this ended up being a real labour of love to get it right.
@classiccarguru1
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

So the next stage was to drill & dowel the shuttering frame.
This was going to be a combination mold.
Basically the lining would be a special 2 part mix rubber located withing a GRP & timber housing.

In this way the new molded bumper could lift out the GRP mold, taking the Rubber liner with it, and once out the liner peeled off the new bumper to release.

This method allows for all the intricate detail to be replicated and the bumper to not be locked into the mold for release.

Complex I know, but I was in up to my neck now, so why the hell not do it properly :roll:

The dowels in the frame locate the rubber which is about 1" thick when cast.
To achieve this, the rubber is mixed with activator and brushed & troweled over the bumper until its about 1" thick.
Next the glassfibre & mat is applied on top of the rubber, making flanges & breaks along the way until you end up with a big alien blob. Finally timber frames are cut and glassed in to give the structure strength.
bumpmold4.JPG
bumpmold5.JPG
So now I was at a point where I could lay gelcoat & mat to make my first real bumper :)

And here is the first born...
Bumpnew1.JPG
After release the rubber liner then just sits back in the GRP case ready for the next time....GRP or even Carbon Fibre is possible.
@classiccarguru1
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Holy Cow that’s a lot of work, a labour of love as you say but I hope you get a few orders in the future to help make it worth while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Cheers Jon,

The intent was always purely selfish. My plan is to build my own take on a 997 backdate Outlaw, the mold is my kind of insurance should the car take a knock, I can make another bumper.
That said I have had quite a lot of feedback from folks who think I should set up shop! :wink:

First things first I need to build my car :lol:

Over the years I've come to realise that a lot of Porsche & other high end marque bodykits are basically "shite" Trust me on this one I've had to sign non disclosure documents over the years with some big players :shock:
As just a bloke in a shed (& my part finished loft conversion come workshop) I wanted to make sure whatever I make is just a "nice thing" and to do that you need to put in the effort :)
@classiccarguru1
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

:wav:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
keith fellowes
DDK forever

Post by keith fellowes »

'just a bloke in a shed'! Haha!! Some shed you have with the capability to do what you are doing.
How do you have time to fit in going to work?

Truly amazing
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Thanks Keith, but what you see has taken a year and on average I work a 50 hour week in my day job, then I have several other car projects on the go, a son with a car in need of help & a lot of charity stuff & volunteering to help others fix their cars too. No sleep, that's the key :lol:

Anyway there's another little simple job I did on the car that may be of general interest.

Being the wrong side of 50 we worry a lot.... you know, where's the nearest chair or toilet and all that.
Having fitted the Sports Classic wheels I got a little paranoid about having no spare wheel & just a tin of gloop :?

So the next job was to find a spare wheel.
Boxster fits, but takes up valuable boot space and isn't weight loaded for a 997 really, plus its a bit narrow for comfort.
After a bit of searching I found a 996 Turbo or 4S (not C2) would fit a 3.8S 997 with brakes.
So off to find a good secondhand un-used one.
spare12.jpg
spare10.jpg
Even then it wouldn't lay flat as my car had all the extra Porsche options CD, SAT NAV & stereo upgrade Amplifier in the boot. But with the Amplifier removed it would just squeeze in. Fits on bulkhead, shown loose on RH side of picture.
I got a Boxster tool kit un-used off eay for £40 to sit in it too. (yep 997 have NO jack either) :roll:
spare11.jpg
So next it all needed securing somehow.
@classiccarguru1
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

Cool story, great skills, glad the 997 was saved from the grasp of the bottom feeders, and has a new exciting life ahead of it :-)
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

I imagineered some brackets in my shed.
spare7.jpg
Got them powder coated & fitted to the car.
spare3.jpg
Punched a tiny hole in the carpet & put it all back together
spare 4.jpg
Leaving an M12 fitting to secure the spare.
@classiccarguru1
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Then I went down OPC & bought the large spare wheel washer from a 944 and with a stainless M12 bolt secured the wheel for that original look. :)
spare2.jpg
The new Amplifier bracket I made was designed to fit neatly next to the rest of the in car entertainment, so using all original 997 clips & bolts (no drilling required) it was located out of sight, once the plastic bulkhead liner was in place.
spare6.jpg
One of my pet hates from having Boxsters is the boot light staying on all the time the boot is open (battery charging etc) and it gets bloomin hot unless you fit LED.
A little Modification I've done to my previous cars is fit a simple (Halfords etc) switch so you can turn it on only when required. :)
bootlight.jpg
So while I was in there......
@classiccarguru1
Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

Wow!
thanks for this - respect for your bodywork skills and the story telling.
Am about to borrow a 997 for week to see if I'd rather have one than my Cayman, this has opened a whole window of possibilities and sadly on my skill an bravery levels.

Please keep the story coming!

Tony
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Next & final thing was to tidy it up with a nice cover.

So back to part finished loft conversion & out with marine ply
spare8.jpg
spare9.jpg
The down to the local scrappies to find some carpet....
@classiccarguru1
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

The best match I found was a VW Passat, and it had ribs in which I kinda like. :wink:

After painting & sealing the marine ply I cleaned up & cut out the Passat carpet
mat1.jpg
Then re purposed the tiny lift tags off it using a small stainless bracket I folded up in the shed to make a finger pull at the front.
mat2.jpg
And then fitted it back in the car & relocated the warning triangle to suit. :)
mat3.jpg
Maximised 997 boot space with a good suitable spare wheel, jack & tool kit. Plus an OEM look :)
@classiccarguru1
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

I'm just off to Pistonheads to find a 997. When can I bring the car down to you? ;)
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Good work on the spare wheel solution - having also had Boxsters having a spare was more reassuring than the bottle of gloop that comes with the 997.

Have you solved the problem of where you would put your punctured tyre?
I think if you left a Sport Classic wheel by the side of the road it wouldn't be there for long.
I can't believe it would be much fun trying to wrestle one of my 305/30/19 rears into the car and onto the back seats. :lol:
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )