'66 912 resurrection

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

chud
DDK above all

Re: '66 912 resurrection

Post by chud »

Ready for collection - ever get the feeling someones trying to convince you to buy some wheels? :D

What can't really be seen here is the local repairs to the lower front wings and the license plate light recess in the decklid. Once she is back (hopefully tomorrow if I can rearrange some plans) I'll show them in more detail but for now, here she is ready to come home on a dolly and with those damn gasburners. :)

Now the real work from my side begins, no more mocking up wheels and getting excited.

New wiring loom next....oh and maybe sort that suspension. :roll:
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Will the exterior stay that way?
Great project! :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

911hillclimber wrote:Will the exterior stay that way?
Great project! :)
Thanks! I’m so pleased with how it’s gone although took nearly 5 weeks welding and fabricating for two guys.

Apart from some blending on the skills and the near side door, yes that is how she will stay.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Good to read.
You need a video of the car going through its next MoT...
What a shock it will be for the examiner.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Hahaha yeah, that'll be an interesting day.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
mooney3019
DDK Fanatic

Post by mooney3019 »

you need to turn up at a Porsche concours event :lol:
mooney
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Well this has been a month of hunter-gathering and the steady flow of parcels from various places around the world is starting to arouse suspicion from credit control, but luckily I've been working from home this week so a few have managed to make the trip to the garage undetected.

The pedal box was toast, literally rusted into one solid lump. The obvious thing to do would be get on ebay and buy another one but that didn't really appeal as I like to be a bit different and seeing as this isn't shooting for concours trophies I phoned Rally Design and ordered some shiny stuff.

I have got the OG callipers but again, they are seized solid and although they are rebuildable I will stash them away for the moment and run these

I also ordered the master cylinders but they're not pretty to look at - the bore sizes were spec'd by Rally Design - the pedal box has a balance bar so hopefully should get a good feeling setup. The eagle eyed amongst you might notice that the clutch pedal on this box only caters for hydraulic clutches - I personally prefer the feel of a hydraulic clutch so I also got a slave cylinder, and will look at making a bracket fixed to the side of the box to make this work. I know there is companies in the states that sell a complete kit that does just this so I will more than likely copy their bracket.

I've had a delivery from Max today which I'll unpack tomorrow, but one of the elusive items I needed and was recommended by Max to buy from the states was an ignition barrel - so now finally my car has keys!

And finally for now, my wheels have come - all the way from Hungary.

They are SSR Formula Mesh - I love SSR wheels, so was an easy choice for me as I wanted to avoid going down the well trodden Fuch route.

'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
David Rooke
DDK addict

Post by David Rooke »

Top work and impressive commitment :)

This kind of project perhaps marks a change in fortune for the 912 - where it would have been used as a donor / scrapped previously, folk are now keen to restore and put the time and effort in...

Kudos!
1966 912 | 1996 993 C4 | 2002 996 Turbo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Thanks David - yeah I think you’re right, and it’s about time.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Wheels are a personal choice, but very good to have something different.
I thought those trial wheels a few pictures back were great!

This will be a nice car when done. :)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

911hillclimber wrote:Wheels are a personal choice, but very good to have something different.
I thought those trial wheels a few pictures back were great!

This will be a nice car when done. :)
Thank you :cheers:

So I have a lot of boxes that I need to sort through now, although I'm finding it hard to get motivated until the Kroon loom arrives because then I can actually put stuff on and leave it on. Can't wait to even just turn the lights on which sounds a bit melodramatic but it'll feel like she's waking up from a 30 year sleep.

Maybe I'll sort the suspension. :wink: :lol:
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Speaking of suspension, I had to get her off the dolly and at the height I was aiming for so I could work out the coilover logistics. Good excuse for a mock up.

Wheels will need tweaking to fit the front, shallower barrels required but I'll make them fit.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

So after a busy summer working away from home and the arrival of my (5th) daughter time has been somewhat tight for work on the 912 but parts are being gathered so not totally lost time.

The loom arrived from Kroon bang on schedule, I can't recommend him enough - such a lovely bit of kit and fits perfectly. It is 80% installed now although I'll have to pull the rear loom back through the firewall later with some assistance as I threaded around one of the handbrake cable tubes somehow. :roll:

The only query I do have is what relays to use. I've used all OG stuff on this car as much as possible but relays i'd rather have new so any pointers would be appreciated.

The suspension is back from the blasters and has been two packed in gloss black by a friend who owns a spray shop. Because I intend to fully use this car I didn't go with powder coating as I wanted the luxury of touching it up when required later down the line. The bearings are being pressed back into the trailing arms today so hopefully I'll start building the rear end back up by the weekend once all of the bushes arrive from design911 - I'll then be in a position to see how wildly out my wheels are so I can get new lips ordered.

Tonight I got the front crossmember and steering rack in, tomorrow hopefully i'll get time to get the wishbones on at which point i'll get some pictures.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

My disappointingly small box arrived from design911 - I feel when spending that much on bushes they could at least put them in a big box to make people feel a bit better about life but hey ho.

I pulled the front wishbones into the crossmember bushes using a length of 10mm threaded bar and as much of the wife's soap as I could get away with stealing, then fitted the front mounts. I mocked up the drop links as I couldn't help myself but could someone confirm which way up the go as I didn't realise when I stripped it that one of the heads is angled slightly.

I'm starting to feel like I'm making progress now though :bounce:

And just a recap of what I started with

And finally, pedal box is mocked up in position so plumbing can commence.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Great to see you have returned to this little 911!

Set the front arms to level, and the orientation of the drop links will reveal themselves as the bolts will only line up one way. The M6 bolts should go into position without great force, I think you have the one in the pic correct.
Dying to see it on the wheels. :)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9