'66 912 resurrection

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

newto912
DDK addict

Re: '66 912 resurrection

Post by newto912 »

chud wrote:Stole an hour in the garage last night with a beer while the wife was with friends getting festive and removed the baked seals out of the rear quarter lights - who supplies the best replacements?

Suspension is off to the blasters straight after new year so need to get that stripped asap.
I am looking forward to updates as well looks like quite a project.

I used a variety of suppliers, original Porsche for the front /rear screens and front quarters, but Type 911 for the rears , they were half the price and fit well .
1966 912 LHD
1980 911 SC Targa
1969 912 RHD in process of restoration
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

newto912 wrote:
chud wrote:Stole an hour in the garage last night with a beer while the wife was with friends getting festive and removed the baked seals out of the rear quarter lights - who supplies the best replacements?

Suspension is off to the blasters straight after new year so need to get that stripped asap.
I am looking forward to updates as well looks like quite a project.

I used a variety of suppliers, original Porsche for the front /rear screens and front quarters, but Type 911 for the rears , they were half the price and fit well .
Cheers - I'll just shop about a bit. Been happy with the quality of parts from Design 911 so far.

Front and side fuel tank supports are arriving from Restoration Design in the Netherlands tomorrow so Matt can complete the welding next week.

I bought the fuel tank that some may have seen on ebay for a decent price - seems okay from first impressions, plus one original door handle and nearside rear light arrived on my doorstep today to bring the parts list down a couple of pegs. :cheers:
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Great resto thread Chud, I took a look at it when i was down there at Christmas, Matt and Bob have done a cracking job as usual.

He's been working on my '12 too - the yellow one.

Cheers,

Ollie
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Ollie wrote:Great resto thread Chud, I took a look at it when i was down there at Christmas, Matt and Bob have done a cracking job as usual.

He's been working on my '12 too - the yellow one.

Cheers,

Ollie

Cheers Ollie, I can't wait to see the progress - I am going to try get down there next week for a visit.

He's hoarding 912's at the minute :lol:
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

So we are approaching the end of the honourable ladies stay and Smiths VW, still a little bit of work to do on the front apron and the reconstructed rear shock tower need to be refitted then we are solid as a rock.

Visiting her next week which excites me no end.

'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

The last couple of weeks has seen a real transformation from basket case to solid chassis - the front inner wings requiring a lot of attention. Panel gaps have also been sorted so everything opens and shuts as it should and for the first time in quite a while for this old girl she is solid. I'll let the pics do the talking- some show what was found and some show post Matt & Bob.

quick image uploader

After the weeks triumphs Matt and Bob got a little excited and mocked up the vision that I saw when I first saw her sat on the floor back in october. I won't be running gas burners, they are his just for the purposes of intrigue but they're growing on me.

'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Had the first sneak peak teaser pics filter in from deepest Cornwall.

Can't wait to get her back next week. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
danny
DDK forever

Post by danny »

nice work

now pull your finger out and get it ready for Stanford Hall :lol:
'67 912
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

danny wrote:nice work

now pull your finger out and get it ready for Stanford Hall :lol:
Blimey :lol: I’m trying mate loads to do though.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

But while they have been grafting on what I personally thought was beyond reach you have had all the time in the world to do the suspension etc! :wink:

Seriously though, what a great job done on this shell.
Never thought you could get it back but those guys have no fear. Very enjoyable thread, thanks for posting all the details.
Congrats to all involved! :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

911hillclimber wrote:But while they have been grafting on what I personally thought was beyond reach you have had all the time in the world to do the suspension etc! :wink:

Seriously though, what a great job done on this shell.
Never thought you could get it back but those guys have no fear. Very enjoyable thread, thanks for posting all the details.
Congrats to all involved! :)

Thank you, the outcome exceeds any expectations I had when we went head first into saving this old girl and I am so happy with the end result.

Still haven't got the suspension sorted though :lol:

Today, the underside raptor went on after the rear chassis rails were notched slightly to allow for lowering clearance of the drive shafts. Discussions are underway regarding the engine choice - every being in my body yearns to wack a 6 in there, (queue short sharp intakes of breathe) but alongside that yearning, in the depths of my numb brain is the stark realisation that it really does just need to be a 4 (probably a strong type 4 motor) although that yearning for the 6 isn't some attempt to create a 911 wannabe, its just for the sound. I digress, heres where we're at. Its funny that any attempt to hang her from the sway bar points a couple of months ago would have ended in the nose and the main body being two separate entities.;)

Soon, she returns home.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

With the impending return of the shell, and feeling guilty that my suspension was no closer to the blasters now than it was at christmas I figured it was about time I pulled my finger out and got the suspension ready for blasting and powder coating and armed with a method of pulling the rear hubs off the trailing arms supplied by good ol' youtube I stole some box section from an unsuspecting mate and got to work.

In the end it took longer to make the puller than it did actually coax the two apart. Once inside I was greeted with more of the Alabama countryside.

Just what remains of the bushes to come out, and the bearings.

Speaking of which if theres any tips from removing said bearings - please stand up.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Bearings...Id take them to a real garage with a real press, could be really tight.

Secondly, puzzled why you needed to scallop the chassis legs at the rear for drive shaft Clarence.
Never seen anyone doing that on a 911 shell.

Looking forward to the next few months. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
murph2309
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by murph2309 »

Cool progress.... what a transformation!
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

911hillclimber wrote:Bearings...Id take them to a real garage with a real press, could be really tight.

Secondly, puzzled why you needed to scallop the chassis legs at the rear for drive shaft Clarence.
Never seen anyone doing that on a 911 shell.

Looking forward to the next few months. :)
That was more a belt and braces approach so I didn't have to revisit and area that'd already been raptored. When we mocked up the rear wheels at the height I want her to sit it appeared quite tight so 'while we're there' as it were.

I'll be taking your advice about the bearings - they look rather snug.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo