'66 912 resurrection

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

chud
DDK above all

Re: '66 912 resurrection

Post by chud »

They’re from elephant racing Gary. The fine adjust is done from a cammed nut which I like a lot.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

I had great expectations of today, which as soon as I discovered my heater was out of gas rapidly went south. That and the internet in the garage going down so no music to drown out the thoughts in my head meant I probably started off in the wrong frame of mind and the situation didn't improve.

The ball joint on the off side was my first port of call - an easy job to get me going I thought. Nope, it didn't fit right - so some rigorous filing ensued and finally it slipped in as initially expected.

Apart from some lock nuts, thats that corner finished suspension wise. Hopefully the machinist is a bit quicker this time making my caliper brackets.

I went to the rear offside after that, slipped the torsion bar in and mounted the spring plate. I jacked her up underneath the freshly tyre clad wheel and for the first time in a while she supported her own weight. I got so excited in fact that apart from these pics of how perfect my wheels fit (more luck that judgement) I forgot to get any pictures of the spring plates in situ. I did however forget to get the spring plate covers powder coated so they're not very photogenic anyway at the moment.

'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Heater in the garage! Tooooo much luxury! :wink:
Will you roll the rear arch lips?
Nice and close, but I was told years ago to have a finger thickness gap between moving parts. Looks bloody good like that though.
Lots more pictures. Looking forward to seeing it on the ground on all 4's

Most excellent. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

I think I’m getting soft in my old age, ten years ago I built my first turbo rx7 in a tin shed with no power and now the thought of sitting in the cold is a day ruiner. :lol:

I am going to slightly roll those lips yeah, you can pick up a roller pretty cheap so it’s on the list.

I will endeavour to get better pics as soon as she is on the ground - I’ve have ordered the barrels and lips for the front wheels and they are set to come middle of January so she should be a roller shortly after. That’ll be a good day. :bounce:
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Looking good Tim... hopfully ready for Ninove? :reindeer:
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Ollie wrote:Looking good Tim... hopfully ready for Ninove? :reindeer:
Hopefully mate, it'll be close - we'll still be there in something or other though.

After a busy christmas eating and drinking far too much with zero time for cars, I stole a couple of hours today and pressed on. What I had achieved over Christmas was to get the -4AN lines for the remote reservoirs and the various -3AN hoses for the front callipers,trailing arms etc made - so after presenting my friendly local pipe maker with some templates made from flex and instructions as to what fitting I wanted where, I skipped off into the distance and a few days later they were done. Quite splendid they were too.

I'd been toying for a while where to put the reservoirs, probably over thinking it a bit and in the end went for inside the smugglers box out of harms way. You'd think that new Gerson reservoirs would come with a 7/16 fixing nut, but no - so off I trudged back to my brake pipe guy who has all manner of stuff not stocked by the likes of screwfix wondering to myself why I hadn't just fitted a stock setup and saved myself all this ball ache. Wheres the fun in that though? :roll:

So back, sat in the front luggage compartment and I got it all mounted up, and lines run through a 25mm grommet in the end of the box.

After that, the pedal box came back out and I swapped the master cylinders to bigger 0.750 units, this is due to me changing the front callipers to superlites which require slightly more oomph, and according to the brake designer warranted swapping over to prevent me having a long pedal. The upside of all this swapping is they're taking the unused kit back in exchange and the callipers are 3.5" lug mount so they fit straight on to the later struts saving me any machining and one less link in the chain to snap if things got a little serious. So from the master cylinder into a T with the brake light switch and onwards.

For the fronts, a line goes through the stock hole in the pedal recess to a T, and then hard lined left and right. I only got the one side done today, the longer of the two sides but I'm happy with how it went. I've no idea if this is even close to how it is stock but it looks like it'll work okay to me. As ever I stand to be corrected if I've done something daft - fresh eyes may know better.

Excuse the state of the front discs, they are to be changed.

And that's about it, apart from a dogged fight with the steering column bearing and UJ setup but that was far too dull to photograph and I wasn't talking to the car by that point.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Looks good!
You will thank yourself the first time you want to change the front discs and can get the caliper out of the way on the flexible you have installed, the Porsche design is weak in that area.

As to supporting the brake pipes, you don't want any fatigue cracks so tap the pipe and if it is seen to vibrate you need another of those P clips, personally I would add another just where the floor arches over the rack where the pipe sneaks through, looks unsupported to me, just my opinion.

Not talking to the car?

Too true, they always fight back, had a strop with mine today, but we've made up.... :roll:
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Yeah you’re right it does look like it needs another clip there.

Mine seems to fight back with gloves off every time but I think she’s giving in slowly.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Bit of a frustrating day with her today but edged forward a little. Built up the front nearside suspension and track rod so that's 3 corners capable of holding weight now - just the brake lines to do there.

My new lips and barrels arrived from the Netherlands so my daughter volunteered to build them up, although I had to have a quick check to see if I got my measurements right and thankfully I had.

I bit the bullet and bought a pair of matching handles with key, so fitted them today, and on my first triumphant twist of the key to lock it the key snapped off as if it were chocolate.

After debating whether to smash the garage up or have a chuckle I opted for the chuckle and went and did something else - I'm hoping there's enough key there for a new one to be cut from it.....

I also removed the destroyed front screen in readiness for national windscreens coming to fit a new one in a couple of weeks.

Thats about it, away next weekend so no more progress for a couple of weeks.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

My 911 came to me with the key for the ignition in two pieces, the blade in the inn switch, rest in the fob.
Got the blade out and carefully grazed the 2 parts together.
Worked a treat, but still got a new one cut at Timpsons the shoe repair chain.
The blank was a mystery to the cutter, but it all worked.
It is my spare key now. :)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

911hillclimber wrote:My 911 came to me with the key for the ignition in two pieces, the blade in the inn switch, rest in the fob.
Got the blade out and carefully grazed the 2 parts together.
Worked a treat, but still got a new one cut at Timpsons the shoe repair chain.
The blank was a mystery to the cutter, but it all worked.
It is my spare key now. :)
Aah that’s good news then. :)
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Turning point for me today, Autoglass came and fitted the front (heated) and rear screens for me minus the centre bits that I can't currently find. The upshot is it makes it look a lot more finished than it did with the fire damaged screen.

:bounce:

'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Tonight one of my boys wanted to use some tools to sort his skateboard so I went down with him and built my newly acquired pillar drill - something I’ve wanted for a while. Gave it a test run on the callipers as being American, the lugs had imperial holes so needed drilling out to 12mm. With the successful test run done, I could bolt them on. Tried one of the newly narrowed wheels on with the calliper in place to check clearance and.......well there isn’t any so looks like a wafer thin space will be required. It’s literally a gnats pube.

'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

This last month or so has seen little time available in the garage so any time I did have was used as efficiently as possible. One thing I really wanted to achieve was a completely built up door so I could actually report that my futile efforts had delivered something dare I say, finished. My window rail was unsurprisingly rotten, so delivered quite a clunky action. I ordered a new one and built it up. Now along with the new felt is smooth as can be.

The internal handles, like the majority of my car were missing so I sourced some suitably tatty handles and got the inners built up too.

You’re gonna need up to date inoculations to set foot in this car.

I also finally had the correct strikers arrive so at last I have a complete door and it stays shut unaided which is a novelty.

The wheels got all torqued up and sealed and I took another punt on the tyre size and tried them out. The wheels wouldn’t budge. shite.

The bolts were fouling the calipers, so after some strategic clearancing and a 3mm shim they cleared and we had a roller after nearly two year years of wondering whether I’d ever get here.

Would be lovely if I had the heavy bit to put in the back so it sits level.

As has been the theme with this old girl, I set about trying to source reasonably priced headlight and flasher relays assuming they were missing, but after a phone call with Matt he was sure there was some bits left in a big box I received (mostly unusable sad remains) when I collected her. After some routing around sure enough there they were. After breathing a sigh of relief that for once I didn’t have to exasperate the wife any more by buying ‘old car crap’ off someone in the USA, I fitted them and the freshly delivered US spec rear lights from errrr.....some bloke in the USA. Attached a battery and stood back triumphant.

And that’s where we’re at. DVLA inspection on Monday.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Love it.
I've been begging and searching for a duff window handle, got one, but never found another!

What will you do with the paint and body surface?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9