'66 912 resurrection

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

chud
DDK above all

Re: '66 912 resurrection

Post by chud »

Ollie wrote:Good news!! You'll be ready well ahead on Ninove although I'm nosure what it will look like with a roof tent on top :shock:
:lol: :lol:

She won't be going to Ninove I don't think, I'll take the bus this time.

So after re-familiarising myself with the trillion parts I have floating around I managed to find the gear linkage bits and got the shifter in ready for the box. I'm not sure if I'll keep the old stock shifter but it'll do for the time being - it's all rebuilt with new bushings etc so at least its nice and precise rather than like stirring porridge.

Tonight, I wanted to test fit the gearbox to make sure the linkage was working right but before that I had some other bits to sort. Firstly and the easiest bit was a new reverse light switch...

My motor has a CAS in the way which means a bit of clearancing...

And a test fit later...

You might remember I'm converting to hydraulic clutch, well the cable retainer thing kinda impedes that plan so I also waved the grinder at that...

Surprised to find the casting wasn't solid at the base so there's a little job for my TIG welding friend.

Next will be to make a bracket for the other end of the master cylinder to attach to, so it sits a little bit like this...

The test fit was a success anyhow, all gears selectable and the gearbox didn't land on my face.

:faroah:
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

It will be v interesting to see how light the pedal feels with that in place.
:)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

I wish I had a point of reference but I’m hoping it’ll have a nice feel.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

A 3.2 911 with a 915 box would be a good reference.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

:lol: I suppose it would

Last night the wife was out, and our little girl was at her grandparents so that meant an attempt at striking off as many jobs on the list as possible.

1. Sound deadening on firewall - done
2. Fit clutch to engine - done
3. Unite engine with gearbox...

Well this is where my evening started going a bit south and coming from a VW background I thought, well, the gearbox is test fitted and in so sod it I reckon I can fit the engine to it in situ.

Nope.

I tried in vain for longer than I care to admit but it wasn't having it so I admitted defeat and dropped the box back out which of course just slipped onto the engine like a glove. Back in position I thought at that point it'd be plain sailing, but she fought back and even with my 19 year old dropping in and adding useful advice I couldn't get it to play ball. In the end I got rid of the strop around the bell housing and replaced it with a trolley jack and just had the crane on the rear of the motor. This helped and it was there, but only on one bolt. I stood up, twatted my head on the crane then turned round and fell base over apex over the trolley jack handle that was sticking out. At this point it was 11:30, my knee hurt so bad I could vomit and I hated my car so I turned the lights off and called it a night. The following morning after venting to my wife about how stupid my hobby is I hobbled back out there and within ten minutes and with fresh eyes it was lined up - turns out it was the fuel pressure regulator getting hooked up on the strut tower crossmember.

Everything bolted up, driveshafts connected and selector linkage reconnected and working - I had released the gearbox side of the yoke which has the locating dimple so in theory all of the faffing I did with the linage previously wasn't in vain.

Then it was the moment of truth, the first time on the floor at full weight (albeit without myself and fluids) and see if the unknown questions would be answered, were my wheel calcs right.....had I taken the correct punt at the spring plate height.....would my driveshafts clear.....

Thankfully the answer to all my inner thoughts was yes.

With the celebratory cup of tea dealt with, back up in the air she goes to be plumbed in.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Made me laugh that ... we’ve all been there Image

It’s setting well 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Oh, that made me laugh out loud, 'twatting my head..and tripping over the jack handle" so funny only because I've done that several times over 30 years with my 911 and at least 20 engine/box removals.

I thought.."why didn't he use a trolley jack under the box and a hoist on the engine rear cross member" then read you figured that move out and then 'bump'.
10/10 to brighten a wet afternoon!

Didn't remember you had a 3.2 to go in until you cut the box for the sensors.

It looks great, rear tyres are 'just' inside. Great fun, love this project and your approach.
Still waiting to see the MoT tester's face unless you claim exemption.

What did your wife say to your Monday rant? :shock:
Mine doesn't listen any more.

More! keep it coming.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Well the wife usually adopts a glazed expression every time I start talking about any of ‘the old rusty crap’ I play with and Sunday morning was no diffferent. “You can always sell it” is the standard reply. :lol:

In hindsight I should have watched some videos first, but instead did my usual gung-ho approach and ask questions later. I can laugh about it now, but if it has to come out again anytime soon then something might get thrown.

Thanks for the positive words anyhow.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
DFW_IE
DDK Newbie

'66 912 resurrection

Post by DFW_IE »

This car looks so awesome. I know that when I start falling and hitting myself (usually late in the day) it’s time to stop and go inside before I get seriously hurt.

Hopefully I get to see this car in person one day.
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

DFW_IE wrote:This car looks so awesome. I know that when I start falling and hitting myself (usually late in the day) it’s time to stop and go inside before I get seriously hurt.

Hopefully I get to see this car in person one day.
Cheers, hopefully it’ll see daylight soon. :drunken:
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Had a bit of a play with the concept of the conversion to hydraulic clutch last night. After cutting the throttle cable thing in half thinking it was something it wasn’t I figured just as well try and utilise what was left and ditch that setup altogether in favour of a cable going the whole way. If it’s good enough for the 935 boys then it’s good enough for me. After a good polish up the shaft measured a useful 10mm so I ordered a 10mm rose joint. Due to wilwood being American in flavour, all their stuff is imperial so a 5/16 to 10mm adaptor was made. This should also give me some adjustment. A washer was welded in position on the shaft to allow the rose joint to sit up against. This was as far as I got - a hole will be drilled for a split pin to hold an outer washer against it. Hopefully that drivel makes sense - for those that are think what the dickens is he on about here are some pics and one of the whole car after pushing he outside in a brief break in the rain for a garage cleanup.

'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

:)

Shaping up well!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Getting there, started right at the front again checking everything is tight and connected so nothing gets missed as a lot of it was dry built to see if it’d even work.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Great to see a full shot! See you at Slough?
chud
DDK above all

Post by chud »

Sorry Ollie, I only just saw your comment. I don’t seem to receive email alerts again for some reason, good to see you at the swapmeet though.
'66 912
'75 Mazda RX3
'80 Mazda RX7
‘57 Oval Beetle

instagram tymboooo