My 356 Homage

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Fuchs915
DDK addict

My 356 Homage

Post by Fuchs915 »

Just about to embark on a long held ambition to build a kit car. Kids are grown up - not left the house yet!! - so I have a bit more time to spend with Mrs Fuchs and also to indulge myself. I have been swapping messages with Gary at Speedster Clinic and am getting things organised at home so I can put my order in. At the moment, I am torn between the Speedster and Coupe bodies. If I had to make a decision today, I'd go Speedster without a folding roof, getting a hard top and a tonneau instead. It's a personal thing but I have always found the folding tops ungainly.

The donor is a 72 1300 Beetle that is currently in kit form in the garage, having taken a reciprocating saw to the body a couple of weeks ago. I'd taken on the Beetle with a view to re-building it, but the body is just too far gone for me to salvage. Gary will use my chassis as the base. The plan is to tweak the engine to 1600, with a balanced bottom end, warmer cam (Engle 110?), twin Weber 34's and any other sensible upgrades (ratio rockers, springs, head porting - maybe). Not looking for a street racer, the 911 has more than enough speed, but something fun to drive that can cope in modern traffic without too many issues. Will keep the swing axle set up as a nod to originality and the balljoint beam front end. Wheels will be wide 5's, probably on drums, need to think about discs up front, but I would imagine with the power and lack of weight, drums may be more than up to the job. Colour??? A mustard yellow. Possibly. The Beetle was originally Texas Yellow, but had been hit with about 5 other shades over the years and I've become rather attached to the colour the original paint has gone to.

Any tips at this early stage most welcome.

Cheers

KJ
Robneal
DDK above all

Re: My 356 Homage

Post by Robneal »

Fuchs915 wrote:Just about to embark on a long held ambition to build a kit car. Kids are grown up - not left the house yet!! - so I have a bit more time to spend with Mrs Fuchs and also to indulge myself. I have been swapping messages with Gary at Speedster Clinic and am getting things organised at home so I can put my order in. At the moment, I am torn between the Speedster and Coupe bodies. If I had to make a decision today, I'd go Speedster without a folding roof, getting a hard top and a tonneau instead. It's a personal thing but I have always found the folding tops ungainly.

The donor is a 72 1300 Beetle that is currently in kit form in the garage, having taken a reciprocating saw to the body a couple of weeks ago. I'd taken on the Beetle with a view to re-building it, but the body is just too far gone for me to salvage. Gary will use my chassis as the base. The plan is to tweak the engine to 1600, with a balanced bottom end, warmer cam (Engle 110?), twin Weber 34's and any other sensible upgrades (ratio rockers, springs, head porting - maybe). Not looking for a street racer, the 911 has more than enough speed, but something fun to drive that can cope in modern traffic without too many issues. Will keep the swing axle set up as a nod to originality and the balljoint beam front end. Wheels will be wide 5's, probably on drums, need to think about discs up front, but I would imagine with the power and lack of weight, drums may be more than up to the job. Colour??? A mustard yellow. Possibly. The Beetle was originally Texas Yellow, but had been hit with about 5 other shades over the years and I've become rather attached to the colour the original paint has gone to.

Any tips at this early stage most welcome.

Cheers

KJ
Welcome aboard. You won't go wrong with a Speedster Clinic build. Being some way through a Pre A coupe build you have done the right thing in getting a beetle doner as all the little bits that you need are what costs the money. Spend the time in restoring all the bits as it will save you a fortune doing it this way. Make sure you label things well as it is amazing how quickly you forget what they are and Where they go.
Are you having a Speedster Clinic chassis or a bolt on one???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Fuchs915
DDK addict

Post by Fuchs915 »

Welcome aboard. You won't go wrong with a Speedster Clinic build. Being some way through a Pre A coupe build you have done the right thing in getting a beetle doner as all the little bits that you need are what costs the money. Spend the time in restoring all the bits as it will save you a fortune doing it this way. Make sure you label things well as it is amazing how quickly you forget what they are and Where they go.
Are you having a Speedster Clinic chassis or a bolt on one???

Cheers Rob. That would have been a useful thing to do a few weeks ago :lol: I'll be going through my various boxes to see what I have and I'll make sure I bag and tag the various bits. A few long evenings sitting in the garage needed. I have already stripped, cleaned, repainted a number of parts already - beam, brakes, steering column and box, wiper motor. Replacing worn items as I go, so new track rod ends and ball joints already done. I plan to send my chassis to Gary and he will use that as the base for one of his SC chassis. Engine goes on the stand this weekend for strip down and will get the gearbox tarted up, just covered in crud, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Fuchs915
DDK addict

Post by Fuchs915 »

Minor update on this. Progress was a bit slow in the run top to new year, although engine was stripped, most time just spent looking at it and scratching my head. Managed to get some 1600 heads (nicely rebuilt), pistons and barrels and also a pair of baby dell's. When I stripped the engine down, it was clear the case would need machining as the main bearing had been keen to go for a walk, with the bearing and case locating holes nicely oval. Took the case and the crank to Elite Engines in Basildon, who sorted the case, ordered the correct bearings and replaced the crank as middle journal oval also and beyond sensible salvage. I have a mountain of other bits to order, including new cam which will probably be a Scat C25 or an Engle 100. New clutch and flywheel acquired on a GSF 57% off day, saved a few quid even with their higher starting prices. Gearbox modestly stripped for cleaning - probably saved a few kilo's in weight with the amount of crud that has come off. I am going to have wide 5 steel wheels on the car, so my odd set of 5 are off to the powder coaters to get dipped/blasted/etc, then put some regular tyres on at this stage so I can start getting ready for the body to arrive (TBA). Popping up to see Gary at Speedster Clinic in a few weeks, so will be getting moving properly after that. Also starting to think about IVA and what will be needed. I had thought I could use the Beetle drum brakes with all the major parts coming from the same donor, but not sure now as the fronts are not self adjusting and this seems to be an IVA requirement. More reading needed...
Glyn
DDK Newbie

Post by Glyn »

As Rob says, you won't go wrong with a speedster clinic build. Hoping to have mine up and running later this year. I was originally going to go the IVA route but when you boil it down to what you are actually trying to achieve, I don't think it's worth the hassle (my opinion - you don't have to listen to me). I like the plans for your engine, very much in the spirit of the original.
A couple of tips:
1. If you're having a speedster clinic chassis it comes with a rack and pinion steering rack so you won't need the old one
2. Get yourself on the 'Porsche 356 speedster & coupe replica club' Facebook page, it's full of like minded people, parts for sale etc.
3. Being a VW guy, you are probably already aware of the samba but that's also good for the forums and parts.
Good luck with the build!
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Maybe you should change your mind about the IVA Glyn.

Things are tightening up with rules and regs.

Running your car without an IVA your running the risk with insurance company’s voiding your claim if your unfortunate enough. Unless you can prove your car was built before IVA came into force and pre SVA. Also DVLA are useing the the NPR (number plate recognition) cameras nowadays not only to use them for speeding but also for checking whether the car is title as it should be. So if your car Is titled on the V5 as something other than a Speedster or Coupe, your playing the waiting game for a letter to land on your doorstep stating DVLA is revoking your V5 until it meet the IVA criteria.

This is already happening as we speak so good luck.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Glyn
DDK Newbie

Post by Glyn »

Each to their own. If you’re worried about it then go for it. Doesn’t worry me too much though.
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

I’m just saying Glyn. It’s is happening as we speak. Your choice and your ££££’s invested which you could loose if involved in an accident and a claim was voided.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

mdmax72 wrote:I’m just saying Glyn. It’s is happening as we speak. Your choice and your ££££’s invested which you could loose if involved in an accident and a claim was voided.
I'm with Rich on this one. it's going to cost you a grand extra to get it through IVA, but you'll be paying for the rest of your life if you knock someone down and your insurance isn't valid....uou are then personally liable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Fuchs915
DDK addict

Post by Fuchs915 »

Progress has been a little slow, partly a little hesitation due to the Govt consultation, however am now starting to move forwards again. My chassis was in poor state - rusted out along the bottom of the tunnel, framehead bottom half almost no-existent once the crud was removed, lots of heavy rust on torsion tubes, etc, etc, so bought another donor which has a much better framehead and new floorpans, albeit welding needs re-doing in a couple of places so panels actually are flat against each other. Spent an afternoon drilling out a number of the plug welds - very therapeutic. Started cleaning off the paint and rust, thankfully very limited and surface only, ready for some epoxy before it gets shortened. Had the bottom end of the engine balanced, was way out but all looks just about bob on now and have had a regular stream of parts arriving. Even go a new boltless bench for the garage, so I have more room to move about and looks much more organised. More to follow.
Fuchs915
DDK addict

Post by Fuchs915 »

Geez, it's been a while since I updated this. Still slow progress. Life had been getting in the way somewhat but now getting a bit more time in the garage. Also, as we all do, it's involved a lot of thinking and contemplation, and by the time I have finished that, I don't have time to do the stuff I have been thinking about. That said, chassis is now cut, shortened and tacked together. Will hopefully get this all welded this weekend. The welder was also being a bit temperamental so had a few frustrating sessions across a few weekends before I got it running properly, so that slowed me down a bit too. Spent a long time faffing about with the various tubes in the tunnel as thought I might try to use Beetle H/Es but will probably go Webasto heater instead. Also had one of the frame head captive nuts (I think that's how they'd be described) missing so salvaged one from my other chassis. Cut out some old steel, fab'd up the 'new' nut with some new steel and welded in. Still have a bit of welding and grinding to do on the new floor pans and supports, but about 80% done. Set fire to one of my MX-5 seats - note to self: Cover flammable items when welding! Only a little bit of foam to replace, they were going to be recovered anyway :lol: Have been stripping and clean various parts, including the chassis. Once I have done the welding, it will be Raptor'd on the underside, epoxy'd on topside and Bilt Hamber'd inside the tunnel.

I have now got everything I need to finish the gearbox refresh, so might get that all done this weekend too. Last batch of engine parts arriving this week so I can get that all assembled too in the next couple of months. Another thing that took an unnecessary amount of mulling options given it's only going to be a warm 1600 motor (livelier cam, ratio rockers, twin baby Dells, fully balanced internals, etc). Front brake disc upgrade sitting on one of my benches, so should have the running gear slung together soon too. Need to get to a local garage for a few little jobs that I don't have the kit for at home but will take a couple of days of work to deal with these.

Other burning issues have been do I get a new garage door, what to re-do the garage floor with and which scissor lift should I get. I know I am easily...hey, what's that over there? Sorry, ..distracted. I have most of these answered now: No. Duramat (samples ordered). Mid rise scissor lift (make TBA).

Clocks will be adapted 924 clocks, got some cheap, not before I had been scammed on a popular internet auction site. Need to think about minor switchgear. Refurb'd a Beetle steering wheel at the weekend, so that's one more item off the list. Seats will have heater elements added when I have them recovered, although not so warm they catch fire again. I salvaged the leather from a couple of old sofas we binned which has a worn/lived in look already so will be interested to see how they come out.

The thing that I am struggling with most is how the back should look. I am leaning towards beehive lights but my mind keeps changing on this. {perhaps unusually, colour is pretty set already on Champagne Yellow. I will have it done this colour in gelcoat, so if I love it/hate it I can deal with it when it comes time for paint.

Writing it all down makes me feel I am further along than I thought. But I suspect it simply means I am deluded and have much more to do than I can currently remember.

Cheers
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Any pics?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Fuchs915
DDK addict

Post by Fuchs915 »

sladey wrote:Any pics?
I have some of the not yet finished chassis and could take some of all the boxes I have various parts in Image I’ll start putting some up to make it a bit more interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fuchs915
DDK addict

Post by Fuchs915 »

So this is what we started with.
IMG_0555a.jpg
Originally a cool car for one of my sons. Turned out to be in poor condition. Mechanically OK, engine had a bit of end float but body and chassis pretty rusty. Not sure how it got through the MOT, some of the welding had been done with silicon sealant, I kid you not! So I bought it off him thinking I would get it sorted while he was at Uni, however it had one or 2 holes in the wrong places, so I decided to recycle it.
Fuchs915
DDK addict

Post by Fuchs915 »

IMG_3840.jpg
A quick bit of disassembly, followed by a reciprocating saw and it all fits easily into the garage. Managed to sell a few bits and the rest went off to the local recycling site. The engine was completely stripped, as were the brakes. Fast forward a few months and with the wafer thin floor pans stripped, I made a wooden dolly and after measuring about 100 times, cut a section from the tunnel to start the shortening process. Scary moment but just took some time and kept re-measuring, just in case.
IMG_4405.jpg
Now, reading various threads and guidance, sliding the 2 parts together is seemingly straightforward. A word to the wise: the various conduit inside the tunnel are welded to the frame horns so need to be liberated and at least 1 is welded inside the tunnel. Luckily I have a 90 degree adaptor for the dremel so co get to it to weaken it enough and could then move the conduit back and forth enough for the remaining weld to fail. You then have to move the front and rear sections together a little, manipulate the conduits, and repeat rather a lot before you can get them together. I made it more difficult as I wanted to keep the option of using the heat exchangers. This meant re-working one of the conduits, moving it, making up an additional support and welding the support and the conduit back in. Not hard, but a bit fiddly, especially as the conduits wall are thin and need to be careful not to blow through.